Mavic Aksion Tires - Clincher

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Aksion is the perfect race/ training tire. The Aksion features a light yet resistant 66TPI casing and a safe yet durable 65 shore A compound. Removing as much rotational weight to your bike makes all the difference when climbing steep h...

Submitted by Ventruck

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2014

Strengths:    Durability, performance

Weaknesses:    Installation, I mean seriously now.

Bottom Line:
Right now the king of the cheap tire selection for me.

I coincidentally bought these from Competitive Cyclist as well last fall (October 2013). I was on a minimal budget and gave these a go while they were on discount (I think just $14 per tire). Reading reviews elsewhere I anticipated that the install would be a pain. Those weren't exaggerated claims. Campagnolo rims + these Aksions = literally the hardest install of my life. These were the 25's too and I almost snapped one of my levers (read: "I actually needed more than one lever"). But once they're on, the complaints are pretty much over for me. For some reason when I install tires on my Khamsins, I never get a perfect seating and can only smooth it out with careful riding. With the Aksions they snapped and shaped into the place off the bat.

Rolling performance seems just fine for a budget training tire. There's usually a weird feeling of dragging or weight for me when messing with this tier of tires, but with the Aksions didn't make that apparent. The only other tire that met this exception in my experience was the Hutchinson Fusion - another good one when at discount. There's decent handling confidence off the bat as well.

These past 7-8 months I've had absolutely no flats - call it mere luck, I wouldn't know for sure. Maybe that tight install really prevents pinches, and I think the compound is thicker all around than other brands. In general I end up replacing tires at the 7th month mark. They just started squaring off right now. I don't know how long I've got until the threads, but strongly considering the PITA install of another set when replacement is due. And on that note, I might need a Dremel + cutting attachment unless my current set finally has some give.

Similar Products Used:   Training tires: Bontrager Race Lite, Vittoria Zaffiro and Rubino Pro Slick, Hutchinson Fusion.

Submitted by wannaXbe

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2014

Strengths:    Rolling resistance is very minimal, they are relatively light weight for the price.

Weaknesses:    I purchased these in sept of 2013, they have less than 300 miles on them and are separating in the side walls. I am not a big guy at 180 lbs. I purchased from competitive cycle and they are accepting them back on return.

Bottom Line:
They rode nice in the fall when I used them, however got them out to roll and the side walls had numerous separations. I have read reviews on other sites that were were good, these may have been a bad batch.

Submitted by Biga a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2013

Strengths:    Durable good looking tire.

Weaknesses:    The tires are a little difficult to get off the rim and requires a tire lever.

Bottom Line:
I never heard of these tires till I bought a new bike about 6 months ago. I decided to give them a try since they came with the bike and road tires can be so pricey. I have now gone about 1200 miles and have only had one flat on them. I don't think any tire could have handled the glass shard that pierced my tube. The tires handle extremely well and they seem to be wearing slowly compared to other tires I have used in the past. I am going to try to pick up another set when they go on sale so I can have these ready for action when time comes.