Mavic Yksion Powerlink Tires - Clincher

3.14/5 (14 Reviews)

Rely on the Mavic Yksion PowerLink features to make the difference in accelerations. It has been thought to match with the performance of Mavic R-Sys, Cosmic and Ksyrium clincher wheel-tyre systems. Associated to Yskion GripLink on the front, you get a re

Submitted by Chodok

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2015

Strengths:    Supple, low rolling resistance, good grip and light weight

Weaknesses:    Wear out quickly; tires’ texture has tiny bubble just like sponge

Bottom Line:
I’ve been riding a set of Griplink and Powerlink for 1,000 miles and I love the riding quality I get. They provide good grip in dry and clear water well in wet condition. They are smooth on rough tarmac and sharp in corners. No any puncher so far ?
However, the surface of the tire is fragile and scratched easily. When the surface is rubbed, it leaves a lot of small holes like sponge. Even though Mavic designs a bit harder rubber for Powerlink (the rear specific) but it’s still wear out so fast.

Submitted by Paul S

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2014

Strengths:    Look good. Low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Tread too thin and poorly bonded. Delaminates too easily.

Bottom Line:
These came standard with my Mavic Ksyrium SLS. I think they're narrower than the stated 23mm - more like 21. I've ridden them in the wet and found the grip to be just OK - nothing startling. My biggest problem is, that after just 400 Km of having no flats, or cuts even, I got a puncture yesterday. No biggie I thought, just some rubbish some construction workers left on the road. I put in a new tube in and off I went. Today, that little cut, that I hardly noticed, has spread almost all the way across the tread, and opened up into a sizeable hole (that will collect rubbish and cause more punctures). The tread is delaminating around the cut. These tires are hard to cut/puncture, but when they do - it's good bye tire! I'm going back to my Conti GP 4000s.

Submitted by Charlie Pouget

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2014

Strengths:    These are my go-to tyres; I've put 2000 miles through my last two pairs, and haven't had a single puncture. They roll well in the dry and I feel confident in the wet; much more so than on Gatorskins, which I used to run. At twice the price of these, they last twice as long. The fact that the different compounds in these front/back specific tyres wear at different rates is great, they need changing at the same time, so no need to switch tyres round or replace one and forget about the other. Highly recommended.

Weaknesses:    I commute loads, it's a shame I don't have room for two spare tyres in my bag, because I'd have one of each on hand for any accidents. I have to settle for a Gatorskin instead.

Bottom Line:
Hard wearing, reliable, grippy tyres which have never let me down. If you don't want to have to worry about your wheels, get these.

Submitted by Rob D

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2014

Strengths:    They look great with my Mavic SLR Ksryiums. Quite low rolling resistance. I like to low profile look too.

Weaknesses:    Very poor grip in the wet. You feel every bump in the road.

Bottom Line:
I started using these tires as they came I my new wheels (which I'm very happy with). My previous wheels were Conti GP 4000s. In the dry I'd rate the Powerlinks superior to the GP 4000's in terms of rolling resistance. In the dry they are also quite sticky around corners.

The problem I found out was that in the wet they have also no grip. I entered a corner I ride all the time in the wet on GP 4000's and came straight off my bike on the Powerlinks. No warning just all of a sudden no bike underneath me.

So if you can guarantee you're never going to get stuck on your bike in a rain storm, great, otherwise use conti's.

Submitted by Jim - Ohio a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2014

Strengths:    Durability

Weaknesses:    None - this was my first set of tires that generally cost (list) > $50 apiece

Bottom Line:
ProLink & GripLink tires came with the MAVIC Ksyrium SL S rims (I upgraded over stock) on new FELT F4 in DEC 2013. Had well over 3,000 miles on both before rear tire wore out. Still running original front / GripLink. I had one rear flat - caused by hitting unavoidable stone while in paceline. This was my first set of this brand of MAVIC tire. Will try again. Rims also with no issues for my 185 lb