Mavic Yksion Powerlink Tires - Clincher

• Store Price

Rely on the Mavic Yksion PowerLink features to make the difference in accelerations. It has been thought to match with the performance of Mavic R-Sys, Cosmic and Ksyrium clincher wheel-tyre systems. Associated to Yskion GripLink on the front, you get a re

Submitted by Rob D

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2014

Strengths:    They look great with my Mavic SLR Ksryiums. Quite low rolling resistance. I like to low profile look too.

Weaknesses:    Very poor grip in the wet. You feel every bump in the road.

Bottom Line:
I started using these tires as they came I my new wheels (which I'm very happy with). My previous wheels were Conti GP 4000s. In the dry I'd rate the Powerlinks superior to the GP 4000's in terms of rolling resistance. In the dry they are also quite sticky around corners.

The problem I found out was that in the wet they have also no grip. I entered a corner I ride all the time in the wet on GP 4000's and came straight off my bike on the Powerlinks. No warning just all of a sudden no bike underneath me.

So if you can guarantee you're never going to get stuck on your bike in a rain storm, great, otherwise use conti's.

Submitted by Jim - Ohio a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2014

Strengths:    Durability

Weaknesses:    None - this was my first set of tires that generally cost (list) > $50 apiece

Bottom Line:
ProLink & GripLink tires came with the MAVIC Ksyrium SL S rims (I upgraded over stock) on new FELT F4 in DEC 2013. Had well over 3,000 miles on both before rear tire wore out. Still running original front / GripLink. I had one rear flat - caused by hitting unavoidable stone while in paceline. This was my first set of this brand of MAVIC tire. Will try again. Rims also with no issues for my 185 lb

Submitted by fred a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2013

Strengths:    not sure if I noted any, they feel light.

Weaknesses:    took a flat within the first 150 miles of riding, small shard of a rock impeded in this thin tire, changed the tube out and on the very next ride the tire blew out on the side wall. Luckily I was only 1.5 miles from the house.

Bottom Line:
There is a reason why Mavic is giving these tires for free with the purchase of their rims, Love the rims but this tire is too delicate for regular road usage.

Submitted by Gale

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2013

Strengths:    May be a fine tire for low performance in dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    Don't. Just don't even go near these tires. I've ridden them in 3 rides, all with a mix of damp/dry/wet roads and all three times I've had the tires slide or slip either a bit or a few inches on moderate corners at speed, front and rear slippage, some system that is. Also had a flat from an object/cause I could not locate, so it must have been small and even this small bit was not easily rebuffed by new tires.

Bottom Line:
Poop. These are absolute crap. I ordered some Schwalbe Durano S tires that have done well for me in the past. That said this is hardly an ad for Scwalbe, the point is that ANY tire I've had in 10 years and at least 75,000 miles of riding, has had better handling! ANY other tire. Please do not crash you or me by riding these. I'm sure it was a "bad batch" but is it worth the risk if Q.C. lets it slide even once?

Submitted by Pilgrim a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2013

Strengths:    Cost, low resistance, dependable, grip

Weaknesses:    Wears easily, having to buy separate rear/front tires

Bottom Line:
Tried them at the recommendation of one of my LBS. Overall they are pretty good. Minimal rolling resistance especially if you have the set. The rear tends to wear much faster even though it is designed more for propulsion. But if you can get it for half off ~ 30$, then they are a great bargain for the performance that you get. Power link gets cut pretty easily, but holds well. Grip has saved me from driver who suddenly stopped - at the cost of totally wearing out tread but without a total blowout. Was worth every penny since I paid 50% off.

Yksion Powerlink Tubular Tread Wear

Does anyone have any first hand experience regarding the manufactures claimed "hard wearing characteristics" of this tire? In other words have you noted increased mileage compared to say Sprinters and/or CG's before the tread wears down to the cords? I purchased a few and have had a good exper ... Read More »