Maxxis Detonator Tires - Clincher

3.12/5 (34 Reviews)

• Store Price

With its reliable grip durable tread and affordable price tag the Detonator is well suited for Winter training Summer racing and all your rides in between. The Maxxis dual compound tread uses M-shaped grooves to offer a great combination of traction and speed with great water dispersal. Silkworm puncture barrier provides bead to bead protection. 700c x 23mm. 60 TPI casing. 120 max PSI. Folding bead. Available in a various colors. 235g.

Submitted by vic

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2014

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    I have had 5 flats with these tires in about 200 miles of riding.

Bottom Line:
Not recommended.

Submitted by yone

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2013

Strengths:    Good grip

Weaknesses:    hard to put on rims, worn up fast comparing with other tyres I used.

Bottom Line:
I have this tyres for 2 months (around 300 miles). No punctures at all. But, they worn up fast, especially rear tyre.

Submitted by JOSH a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Strengths:    cool colours.... good grip

Weaknesses:    fitst ride 35kms 3 puncture flats

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY THESE TIRES.

Purchased At:   SPECIAL ORDER

Bike Setup:   FIXIE

Submitted by Oren a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Strengths:    Price, grip, speed - ok for their price.

Weaknesses:    Eat up gravel and puncture a lot.

Bottom Line:
Purchased these tires for training in the Winter. While their grip and roll is ok, they keep puncturing, despite being brand new. Especially when it's wet. I've flattened three times in the recent five or six rides. Other tires have lasted hundred of kilometers without puncturing under the same conditions. Feels like these tires are made of margarine - they simply eat up little pieces of gravel and rocks, and embed them in the tire wall. The only good thing I have to say about them is that once you get a flat, they are thick enough so you can continue rolling until a safe stop to change the flat is found. They might do better in dry conditions. A classic case of "you get what you pay for". Though there are many better options out there. Comparably, I've ridden with Vittoria Zaffiro regular/pro's - While their ride is harsher, they are far more resistant.
Avoid these and invest in a higher quality tire.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Hermon

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Zaffiro, Vittoria Zaffiro pro, Vittoria Rubino Pro, Michelin Pro3 race and light, vredestein fortezza tricomp, Hutchinson fusion 3 (another product to avoid).

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR composite1, Mavic Ksyrium elite tires. Age group road racer.

Submitted by Peter a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2012

Strengths:    They roll well.

Weaknesses:    Punctures.

Bottom Line:
This tyre came on the first and only bike I have ever had. I commute about 200kms per week.
I hope there are better types than this in the marketplace. Todate I have just rolled up 1600kms and I have had about 20 punctures. My colleagues have nick named me "puncture Pete". In desperation I went to a local bike shop and they suggested some tyre liners which have helped a lot. I have only had a few punctures in the last 600 ks.

Purchased At:   Pushys Canberra