Maxxis Detonator Tires - Clincher

3.11/5 (37 Reviews)

With its reliable grip durable tread and affordable price tag the Detonator is well suited for Winter training Summer racing and all your rides in between. The Maxxis dual compound tread uses M-shaped grooves to offer a great combination of traction and speed with great water dispersal. Silkworm puncture barrier provides bead to bead protection. 700c x 23mm. 60 TPI casing. 120 max PSI. Folding bead. Available in a various colors. 235g.

Submitted by Titus a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2016

Strengths:    Price, rolling resistance, weight, little wear.

Weaknesses:    Lower grip with high pressures.

Bottom Line:
Interesting that everyone is complaining about punctures.
I run this tires for almost 6000km now - on the road of course and occasionally in the forest. I had maybe 3 punctures until now but this is very acceptable...
Very fast tires for the road. I use the 26" 1.5 version on a mountain bike modified for road use. You can feel the difference in effort (lower effort) compared to other brands.
I use them mostly in the city.
Side grip is a little low but that is just normal for this size and tread.
The wear is very decent - i had tires that wear faster but the grip was worse. I used them every summer for the past 3 years and they are not even 50% tread wear.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe, Irc, Continental.

Bike Setup:   16" frame with 26 inch wheels.

Submitted by Randy Snelling a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2016

Strengths:    I have had two sets of these and am completely satisfied having put over 2000 miles on each set. No problems with punctures until later on in the tires life.

Weaknesses:    none really to speak of

Bottom Line:
have had two sets of these and am completely satisfied having put over 2000 miles on each set. No problems with punctures until later on in the tires life. I would recommend these tires to the recreational rider with no reservations.

Bike Setup:   Absolute 1.1

Submitted by Stephanie Boartight a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2014

Strengths:    Look pretty, roll well, reasonable grip

Weaknesses:    Cut easily and puncture easily, not suitable for urban riding or on sharp gravel.

Bottom Line:
I got these on my brand new 2015 Whyte bike just 7 weeks ago and in that time I have had 5 punctures, they seem to be OK in the dry and actually roll really well but in the wet you can almost guarantee a puncture. When I took them off today to replace them with Gatorskins the tread was full of cuts - I can't have cycled more than around 100 miles in the time I have had the bike but they were in very poor condition.

I would not recommend these, buy something more robust.

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgery