Maxxis Raze Cross Tires - Clincher

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

• Cyclocross tire with fast rolling center ridge for front or rear use
  • Widely spaced knobs shed mud easily
  • 60 tpi casing maintains integrity at lower pressures
  • width: 35c

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ocnative1964 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Strengths:    Predictable, light, agile, fast, reasonable price.

Weaknesses:    not much

Bottom Line:
    I purchased these as a budget tire (20.00 each) for Portland's Cross Crusade, just to get started. I was worried they would be lacking in the mud the crusade is famous for.

I was quite surprised at the way these tires have performed.

I did a 20 mile road ride and averaged 18 mph. (surprised)
    I have raced these tires 4 times, and have had good luck with them. they have done well on grass, wet & dry, pavement, gravel, dirt, bumps, etc. everything I could throw at them. I had one last test which was a seriously WET course, complete with 2 40 yard mud pits 8 inches deep, and a 50 yard off camber packed mud section. they were surprisingly easy and predictable in the mud pits. and again they were a great ride. the only loss of traction was a muddy grass section onto pavement at a 90 degree turn, too fast on the last lap, too tired to notice the speed and front tire went out from under me.

I rode them from 30 psi to 50 psi on the races, and 65 psi on the road. no flats, no pinches no issues.

Do they compare to a Clement Crusade or Michelin mud tire? I cant say, this was my first try based on the price alone.

I would not hesitate to use these in all situations except possibly hilly mud bogs where a bit more tooth would help.

Favorite Ride:   Saint Paul Loop

Purchased At:   New on Ebay

Bike Setup:   Kona Jake the snake, Bontrager select wheels.

Submitted by JRideCO a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2010

Strengths:    Great traction on mixed surfaces and conditions, fast, light, fun

Weaknesses:    Fast wear - rear pretty worn at ~500 miles but mostly on pavement; should be much longer wearing if mostly on gravel

Bottom Line:
    I have these on my hybrid which I use for winter training, commuting and riding with my kids. I run 45-50 PSI.
    * Great traction on pavement, dirt and hard-packed snow
    * Great stability in turns on pavement and gravel
    * Smooth - don't feel or hear knobs
    * Crisp turn-in
    * Fast for a wider, knobby tire

Favorite Ride:   Any Colorado hill or mountain

Purchased At:   Criterium

Similar Products Used:   first cross tire, so no comparison to road and mountain tires I've used

Bike Setup:   hybrid - Nashbar X 7005 cyclocross frame, 105/XT drivetrain, 105/Open Pro wheels, Avid 7 brakes, flat bar, cheap POS WTB saddle