Maxxis Re-Fuse Tires - Clincher

4.6/5 (20 Reviews)

Our most popular training tire- providing excellent traction, durability and plenty of road miles in any condition. The Kevlar? belt and silkworm cap ply combine to provide a tire that Re-Fuses to puncture.

Submitted by bigjohnla

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2016

Strengths:    Great price. Nice grippy feel

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, kind of hard to install first time around.

Bottom Line:
Nice ride, good traction, good price. Excellent tire for the money. Great for everyday use, training, training.

Submitted by Pete11d

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2016

Strengths:    Super-durable
hard wearing
good value for money

Weaknesses:    Not a race tyre...but they're not intended to be

Bottom Line:
I was recommended these tyres for commuting and general cycling by my local shop a few years ago.
I've had 3 sets now (2 in use and one waiting for their call up) and have to say they do exactly what you'd want for this type of riding.
Under $50 a pair and you can get 7000+ trouble-free kms out of them.
I've just had my first flat from my current set, after around 8000kms. It was the front tyre, which has got quite a few nicks form the glass & gravel that I have to negotiate, but have performed exceptionally up to now. I looked at the back and noticed that I've ridden it down to the inner lining..without a single problem...ok, so I probably need to change it.
Best commuting tyre I've ridden in 35+ years.

Submitted by Greg Finch

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2014

Strengths:    Longlasting and great training tyre

Weaknesses:    Not a racing tyre

Bottom Line:
I won a set of Maxxis Refuse 700x23 tyres. I had heard good reviews about these tyres as they suit the rough country chip roads here in NZ. I am usually training 5-6 days a week. I have now had these on my training bike over a year now and only 1 small superficial cut and just starting to flatten out from wear. What I really like about them is that they are more comfortable than most tyres. I ride my tyres around 90-100 PSI as I am about 76-78 kg, Of course they would feel hard and uncomfortable if you had them up to 120psi as some reviewer stated. I have found them to be an exceptional training tyre, and you can also get 25's and 28mm sizes. Interesting to note is that the road rider from You Tube (Durian rider) chose the 28mm version of these tyres to tour across the length of Austrailia on his racing bike said they were very comfortable. I have got a set of these 28mm on order and cant wait to try them out. Probaly should have got 25's but comfort is everything. Also they grip really well in the wet.

Submitted by Lombard a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2014

Strengths:    Bulletproof
Low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Rougher ride than a Bontrager Hardcase, but I guess that's the trade off for a more durable tire?

Bottom Line:
In my quest for a bulletproof puncture resistant road tire, I have finally seen the top of the mountain. I went through a couple of sets of Bontrager Hardcase tires which would have visible cuts all over them after less than 1,000 miles, not to mention one with a bubble. I read good user reviews about the Maxxis Re-Fuse and decided to take the plunge. 2,000 miles so far, no flats, no visible cuts anywhere! And no, I did not change my riding style, nor the roads I ride on! The rolling resistance also seems lower than the Bontrager Hardcases but the road feel is harsher. I guess that's part of the tradeoff for a bulletproof reliable tire? Recommended!

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere with good hills and good scenery

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Hardcase
Bontrager Race Lite
Hutchinson Top Speed - REAL JUNK!!!

Submitted by Alvin Croll

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2013

Strengths:    Bullet-proof
Grip road well
Great value

Weaknesses:    A bit heavier
More rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
Tried a set of these tires after reading several glowing reviews on discussion groups. Rode 7000 km on the first set without a flat and have put 3000 km on the second set with no flats yet. Very good value as well. I don't race but ride about 3000-5000 miles a season and don't like changing flats so I don't mind going a tiny bit slower on these tires.

I bought my tires on eBay from a store in Taiwan for $60 a pair with tax and shipping included and they arrived within a week of ordering.