Maxxis Re-Fuse Tires - Clincher

4.59/5 (17 Reviews)

Our most popular training tire- providing excellent traction, durability and plenty of road miles in any condition. The Kevlar? belt and silkworm cap ply combine to provide a tire that Re-Fuses to puncture.

Submitted by Lombard a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2014

Strengths:    Bulletproof
Low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Rougher ride than a Bontrager Hardcase, but I guess that's the trade off for a more durable tire?

Bottom Line:
In my quest for a bulletproof puncture resistant road tire, I have finally seen the top of the mountain. I went through a couple of sets of Bontrager Hardcase tires which would have visible cuts all over them after less than 1,000 miles, not to mention one with a bubble. I read good user reviews about the Maxxis Re-Fuse and decided to take the plunge. 2,000 miles so far, no flats, no visible cuts anywhere! And no, I did not change my riding style, nor the roads I ride on! The rolling resistance also seems lower than the Bontrager Hardcases but the road feel is harsher. I guess that's part of the tradeoff for a bulletproof reliable tire? Recommended!

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere with good hills and good scenery

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Hardcase
Bontrager Race Lite
Hutchinson Top Speed - REAL JUNK!!!

Submitted by Alvin Croll

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2013

Strengths:    Bullet-proof
Grip road well
Great value

Weaknesses:    A bit heavier
More rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
Tried a set of these tires after reading several glowing reviews on discussion groups. Rode 7000 km on the first set without a flat and have put 3000 km on the second set with no flats yet. Very good value as well. I don't race but ride about 3000-5000 miles a season and don't like changing flats so I don't mind going a tiny bit slower on these tires.

I bought my tires on eBay from a store in Taiwan for $60 a pair with tax and shipping included and they arrived within a week of ordering.

Submitted by Tony a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    Bullet proof. Great for training. Excellent value for your money

Weaknesses:    Roll slower than other better know (quality) tires e.g. Conti 4000 etc but Conti are almost twice as much !

Bottom Line:
Yes a little slower than most other tires out there but they are after all a training tire. And also good valve for your $ No punctures to date 500km and handle the wet / rough roads very well indeed. It's also a great feeling switching back to your racing wheels with better quality rubber - feels super fast.

Submitted by Christopher Tan a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    Re-Fuse are pretty good tires. I still worry a lot every time i go over glass, some rough roads with gravels or even hit the sharp sides of some potholes and i always expect a pinch flat... but nothing! Maxxis Re-Fuse tires are also great at taking sharp corners, very grippy! These tires are gaining my confidence day by day...

Weaknesses:    The rolling resistance of these tires are not as good. Usually, on my ride to work, there is a stretch of 2km straight road which I sprint on and this is when i noticed that if i freewheel, the tires tend to slow-down my speed. When i was on my Panaracer RibMo's, this slowing down feeling is 30% less... but i am still trying to find my 700 x 23c RibMo's. The ride on the Re-Fuse is also harsher as you can feel all the bumps on the road. I keep my Re-Fuse tire pressure to the maximum of 120psi as i want to avoid pinch flats which happens most to me.

Bottom Line:
With the limitation of tire choices and sizes, i got the re-fuse as a test to see if it can handle the streets of Bangkok. I bought a pair of yellow 700 x 23c tires as it was difficult to find the 25c's. I commute to work about 20km everyday. I also have the Panaracer RibMo's but they are in 28c sizes which makes my bike looks like a monster bike.. so i only use them recreationally as a rear tire to handle my weight when exploring the city. I've tried Maxxis Detonators but had a flat the next day. Tried Kendas, had a flat the day i put them on!

Favorite Ride:   Fuji Single Speed

Purchased At:   Bike Mart, Bangkok

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer RibMo, Maxxis Detonator, Kenda Tire...

Submitted by dazzaJRA a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2011

Strengths:    puncture resistance durability. What more could want at these prices? ($14.95 each)

Weaknesses:    a little heavy & dead feeling but excellent value make up for this

Bottom Line:
A great value & puncture proof tyre but a little dead feeling. I would go back to the Michelin krylion but these can't be beat for value.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere its not raining