Maxxis Xenith Hors Categorie Tires - Clincher

4.22/5 (23 Reviews)

Cant miss value on greatTires. Lightweight folding bead, M201 Sport Competition casing with a dual compound slickTread. 62A inner compound provides long wear and rolling resistance, 55A outer compound for cornering grip. 60TPI. Great for fair-weather racing! Type: Front or Rear Pressure:To 130 PSI Weight: 250g (700 x 25c)

Submitted by NE_fsrxc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2010

Strengths:    Lighter than advertised! I've weighed them at roughly 210 grams a piece. Supple casing and smooth rolling. Grippy and look pretty cool on your hoops. So far no punctures. Haven't had long enough to thoroughly test yet.

Weaknesses:    None so far unless you like lower inflation levels. They seem to roll a bit slower at >115.

Bottom Line:
I bought these on the heels of the Maxxis Columbiere of which I'm a big fan. The HC's are smooooth. At first I thought they seemed to roll a bit slower than the Columbieres, but I decided to up the inflation from my usual 115-120 PSI to upwards of 125. The ride stayed almost as supple as with lower inflations but the rolling resistance was noticeably reduced. These tires are great! I have about 120 miles on this pair and so far I really like them. Grippy, very smooth, quiet and roll fast now that I've inflated them a bit more.

Favorite Ride:   Mascoma region, New Hampshire

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized All Condition Pro, Maxxis Columbiere, Vittoria Open Corsa

Bike Setup:   07 Specialized Allez Expert (carbon seatstay) Easton Circuit wheels, DuraAce/Ultegra drivetrain, FSA cockpit.

Submitted by A Clemons a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2010

Strengths:    very fast! very puncture resistant! highly recommended!

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
when i got my bike for my birthday last august these were they stock tires. they are really fast and the only time i got a flat was because i accidentally kicked the stem of the tube. so it wasn't the tires' fault. i have been 50 mph down hill with no wobbling or shaking. i have about 2000 miles ont these tires and they have barely worn any in the front and the back is still round.

Favorite Ride:   bike barn group

Similar Products Used:   serfas

Bike Setup:   2009 Cannondale CAAD 9-7 sora and tiagra cxp 22 rims

Submitted by Dargo200 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2010

Strengths:    They're about mid range on price but for what you're getting it's value for money.
Low rolling resistance, handling, light.

Weaknesses:    None that I've come across.

Bottom Line:
With twice the amount of TPI than your average training tyre (120 instead of 60). Higher than average pressure (130 PSI instead of 100ish). And with a weight closer to race tyres (230g) it all adds up to one thing, the best training tyres I've ever owned. These things are fast, durable & handle well in all conditions.

Favorite Ride:   M7 (Sydney Australia)

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Conti 4000GP, Michellin lithion

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant defy Alliance 0 with Shimano 105 parts

Submitted by sweinberg a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Strengths:    Pretty supple for the durability, dual compound rubber (SiO2 -- softer on the outside for cornering; C based center tread -- better durability, but harder), high pressure capability 130 PSI

Weaknesses:    expensive (kinda), once they are old they will flat all the time (~2000 miles maybe?)

Bottom Line:
I've run these as front tires for two years with superb results. I ride them in the front because of the puncture resistance (GP4000 rear for sticky icky power response).

They really never flat until they are just totally worn out, low rolling resistance, and super grippy. I ride in a college town filled with broken bottles and gnarly potholes, I can see all the marks from glass in the tire, but still only 3 or 4 flats in the two years of abuse.

I have seriously ridden these in snow with success. I don't even know how many thousand miles I put on them, but they finally gave up and started getting flats from small stones and sand (lame).

Overall I would recommend these to anyone who needs a low resistance daily training tire. You CAN race them, but there are better, more supple tires for that. Excellent excellent excellent tire for daily training rides!

Trust me I ride the piss out of these tires and call them a success!

Favorite Ride:   uphill

Purchased At:   my shop

Similar Products Used:   GP 4000, Vittoria Rubino slick, race, and pro, Gatorskins, Specialized all season, bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

Bike Setup:   2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD -- DA 7800 with a GP4000 rear tire

Submitted by larry crook a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2010

Strengths:    great value!

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
I have used this tire for 4yrs+ along w/ courchevel and vittorias. found hc's best for price- great ride, wear, rolling resistance and weight. cut issues and leaks are not this tires fault! great tire for all on budget wanting high performance tires.

Favorite Ride:   gaps in n. ga.

Purchased At:   maxxis

Similar Products Used:   vittoria, michelin.

Bike Setup:   current- felt f2- dura-ace w/easton wheels.

MAXXIS Xenith - hors categorie (european wants to ..)

ask, if this tire is any good. saw some brillant feedbacks here about it, but i doubt, that it is as good as my pr2r michelin!!! is it faster or at least on the same rolling restitance level? does anyone have a test or a list with rollingrestance/watts? very interested in this tire, its ... Read More »