Maxxis Xenith Tires - Clincher

Maxxis Xenith Hors Categorie 700x23c

Submitted by Hyjanks a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2014

Strengths:    Light in weight. Good rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Sidewall blowouts on both tires.

Bottom Line:
A set of these tires came with my Fezzari road bike. After about 800 miles, the rear tire contorted into this "S" shape, covering about 2" of the tire. I noticed it when it began to rub against the break block. Then there was a clicking sound. Then the side blew out. I had to call my wife to pick me up about ten miles from home.
I sent it in for a replacement, and they sent one right away. Unfortunately, the exact same thing happened with the other tire (mounted on the front) a couple weeks later.
The tires were never abused. I ride on smooth roads. I never inflate more than 100 psi and I weigh 150 pounds, so nothing I did caused these defects to occur.
I sent this tire to Maxxis telling them I will not accept another Xenlth tire and that they should send me a different model. I indicated that I would send the other tire they sent as a replacement previously so they would send me a pair of new tires.
I haven't heard from them at this point, but be sure I'll NEVER buy another Xenlth tire and I'll tell my road riding buddies of my experience with them.

Submitted by Peter

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2012

Strengths:    Soft and great for cornering, put 1000 miles before needing change

Weaknesses:    When breaking hard face surface of tire grated a flat spot on tire,, when spokes were tuned up and tire was removed and reinstalled side wall of tire stretched and a bulge in sidewall made me replace the tire.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for smooth paved roads grabs like no other tire I've used. I would recommend only using for race type of riding. In the 1000 miles used no issues with punctures. Breaking hard will destroy this tire in a heart beat!

Submitted by Mantus a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    Low weight,Low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Not suitable for everyday use.

Bottom Line:
They were on my Merida bike as stock tires.It was only 10 km test ride and...PSHHHHH.Puncture.Of course they were on high pressure(9.5 bars).
This tires are suitable for indoor use or perfect roads only.
Model:Maxxis Xenith Equipe Legere.

Submitted by rob a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2011

Strengths:    nice ride, low roll resistance, great grip

Weaknesses:    expensive

Bottom Line:
Good tire, especially the grip in wet\snow

Favorite Ride:   Marinoni

Purchased At:   labicicletta

Similar Products Used:   conti gatorskins

Bike Setup:   road bike

Submitted by rundru a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent grip on cornering, roll nicely, 130 psi, cheap

Weaknesses:    Puncture through the top part, causing internal damage

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of these tires in the summer of 2003 and used them on by secondary bike (ICE). They were a huge improvement from my really old, really stock tires from a cheap Trek bike (I have no idea what they were). The Maxxis look good, rolled nice, and are great for cornering. Just lean into a corner a little and they grab and pull you right around. However, after about 300 miles I got a 1/4" gash through the meaty part of the tire, right on top. I haveno idea what I hit. I was on a smooth paved path, but obviously there was something. The tire cut, but then a wire or something from the tire itself (like the ply or tpi threads or something) poked down and popped my tube. And I can't find any way to repair the tire since it's an internal problem and not embedded debris. I won't be buying any more Maxxis.

Favorite Ride:   any with a tailwind

Purchased At:   eBay (pair)