Michelin Hi-Lite Prestige Tires - Clincher

3.7/5 (33 Reviews)

Dual compound racing and training tire

Submitted by Pete a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2009

Strengths:    Great corner grip, very little sidewall flex in the corners, incredibly fast on smooth blacktop and downhill.

Weaknesses:    Extremely difficult to get onto my rim, harsh ride on anything but smooth blacktop (but they are 700x20 so you should expect a little of that), can't find them in 23c.

Bottom Line:
Years ago I replaced my stock tires (700x23) with some 700x20 and found these on sale. I run them with about 140psi rear and 127psi front. Most of my training rides now are on some steep Colorado mountains, 4-8% average grades over 4-10miles. When it's on super smooth blacktop these tires are incredible; easy to spin and fast. But, on uphills with anything less than ideal road surfaces, the resistance is noticeable and is making me want to change back to 23c. These tires stick to the road on the downhill though, the softer side really grips when you lean hard into some tight corners.

At first I had issues with frequent flats with these tires. Some of those are my own fault with pinch flats while putting the tire on. The tire is extremely hard to get onto my 32 spoke wheelset, often have to use the tire wrenches to get it back on. But I've learned that if I get through the first 50 miles without a flat then I'm not likely to be getting one. One thing that I've had to do is make sure the psi never drops below 80 if I don't use the bike for a couple days. Tubes naturally lose air sitting around, if I don't maintain the pressure a little even if I can't get out on the bike, then the gremlins will give me a flat.

I'm planning on going back to 23c, but love these tires and am hesitant to give them up. BTW I'm 5'9", 170lbs

Favorite Ride:   Long steep uphill out and back rides

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Bike Setup:   2000 model Trek 2000, 32 spoke wheelset 1/ Tiagra hubs, 105 components. ~21lbs

Submitted by wac a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2006

Strengths:    Grips well and very stable at speed. Seems to wear pretty well after 400 miles of warm weather riding.

Weaknesses:    2 flats in a month, and I'm only 135 lbs. Now I have to be extra vigilant for rocks while on flats and going downhill.

Bottom Line:
These tires look similar and ride very similar to the much more expensive Michelin Ironman Pros. However, I was disappointed at getting two rear flats from riding over 3/4" diameter rocks that never would have bothered the Ironman Pro or the Michelin Hi-Lite Synergic. They were also a pain to mount for the first time, as I punctured two tubes while trying to stretch the folding bead over Bontrager rims. I would have given 5 of 5 stars if I didn't have those two flats.

Favorite Ride:   Short hillclimbs

Purchased At:   Performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Ironman Pro, Continental

Bike Setup:   2003 LeMond Zurich

Submitted by asianarnold1 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2005

Strengths:    No flats, good cornering, can take a beating.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
Got these tires brand new for free, when i bought my AC 420's. Great feel and very flat resistent. I've gone over 2500 miles without a flat! then finally, i rode over a nail that went thru sideways. After that, no flat since(another 300 miles). I always make sure i pump both tires to max at 120psi before every ride, that is the key. I raced for the first time this year with my new team (shameless plug: LuzViMin http://www.creative-sounds.com/luzviminracing.htm ). Cornering was great, felt confident. Too bad i my lungs and legs could not keep up.

Favorite Ride:   Sacramento River Ride. flat and fast!

Purchased At:   RoadBikeReview class

Similar Products Used:   Michelin PR. I'll try the Conti GP4000 next.

Bike Setup:   Felt F70, ultegra/DA. Carbon parts here and there. AC 420s.

Submitted by soulcoughing a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2005

Strengths:    price, longevity, puncture resistance, grip

Weaknesses:    cornering tread is easily nicked up?

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'2", 220#. I bought these to ride through the crap of winter and spring. They've made it through nearly 2000 miles now. The cornering compound is soft and has been nicked and gouged, but they have never had a single flat. And they've been ridden through plenty of junk. I've rotated them twice but I think they are almost done. Still, no complaints. They've always felt fine going uphill and confidence inspiring coming down.

Purchased At:   performance