Michelin Krylion Carbon Tires - Clincher

4.15/5 (61 Reviews)

Michelin Krylion Carbon 700x23c Blk/Red

Submitted by ken a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2015

Strengths:    smooth,grippy,durable

Weaknesses:    side walls

Bottom Line:
if you weigh 170lbs,the sidewall are weak,you may need a tire with higher psi,this tire was at max psi,sidewalls were still squished a bit.But if you're a weight winnie body wise,this is your tire,P.S. I'm a football player defensive back,but love cycling.recommendations came from several cat 3,4, racers,and LBS fit guru.in all great tire for average weight cyclists,heavier athletes may need beefed up sidewalls,and psi higher than 110-115.

Favorite Ride:   Yes

Submitted by A T

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2012

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Maybe the grip in rain/water, but have not ridden much in such

Bottom Line:
Love these tires. Got them for about $30 each. Have put about 1500 miles on them without a flat or any other kind of failure. Not much noticable wear. I have them on my Motobecane RECORD. I weigh about 165 and avg about 18.5 mphs. Have had them on several centruy rides, and a lot of very hot days thru the summer in south Texas. Nothing but positive things to say about them. I would buy them again if they were not out of production.

Submitted by alba831

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, puncture resistant, good grip, decent performance in wet (although I don't push it)

Weaknesses:    A bit heavier than dedicated race tires, but you can still race these no problems.

Bottom Line:
I'll keep it quick and easy: after trying many different tires over the years, these are what I buy every time now. Decent price, very durable, shed glass and rocks well, and they're performance-driven enough to use the same tires for racing and training. They do it all for me, and they do it pretty darn well.

Submitted by James a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    Durability. Subtle good looks.

Weaknesses:    Weight weenies will want something lighter. Not quite as sticky as ProRace3s, but that's why they last longer!

Bottom Line:
I am a bit surprised reading all the reviewers who had difficulty installing these tires. I put them on by hand on a set of Bontrager RXLs and Aeolus carbon 5.0s with no problem. Count me fortunate. These tires are a great choice for all-around performance and durability without a huge weight penalty that comes with some training tires. I have about 2000 miles on my current set and I am just about ready to replace them. A great value when you consider that you can now find them online for 30 bucks!

Favorite Ride:   Blueridge Parkway to and up Mt Mitchell and back.

Purchased At:   various online retai

Similar Products Used:   Michelin ProRace3s
Continental GP4000
Various Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone Project One, 5 series and 6 series. Bontrager RXL and Aeolus 5.0 carbon wheel sets.

Submitted by Drew5250

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable tire that achieves a fine balance of feel, durability, and grip

Weaknesses:    Frustrating installation

Bottom Line:
Like most reviewers have noted, these Michelins are extremely difficult to install. It really was more of a process than I anticipated. I chewed up tire levers, popped two tubes (Michelin airstops-switched to bontrager which are tighter fitting to the wheel) and went through a great deal of frustration. I found that a hair dryer really helps with the first installation. I work the tire on with as much as I can with my hands, I then warm up sections of the tire that are more difficult and use levers for the remaining difficult sections. I use my hair dryer on low setting, holding to the tire for about 20 seconds or so, just to increase pliability. Trust me, this will save you lots of time.

Once on, they preform quite nicely. I have yet to get a flat, they hold well in corners, and feel nice for a training type tire. I do not ride in the rain, I cannot comment on their wet performance. I occasionally ride early in the morning, these tires feel less than confident when dew is on the road. I have been told that the first installation is the most difficult, the tire seems to stretch once on the rim. Removing the tire and installation is much easier the second time around.