Michelin Lithion Tires - Clincher

3.38/5 (26 Reviews)

• Store Price

• Similar performance and looks of a Pro2 Race, but at a value price
  • Slick center with chevron grooved shoulder tread
  • HDC: High Density Casing 60 tpi triple overlapping ply carcass
  • width: 23c

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by AZGUY

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2014

Strengths:    Available at most bike shops.

Weaknesses:    Impossible to install. Can not imagine trying to install these on the road after a flat tire. Avoid buying these at all costs. Just not worth it!

Bottom Line:
    Cheap is good when it works. These tires were impossible to install. I have several wheels and I was trying to install them on Shimano Ultegra wheels. I worked in a bike shop for 6 years, have been bike racing as a cat 2 racer for over 20 years and I ripped my thumbs off trying to get these on my wheels. Finally gave up. YES I gave up and took them back. Michelin, what the hell are you guys thinking? Did anyone in product development try to install these? Did they try to do in on the road? Guys... you might have a great tire, but if I can't get it on, I will never know.

My recommendation. Flat out! Don't waste your time or money on these. I'm sure some douche bag is going to say something different, but all I can say is I told you so... Don't buy them!

Submitted by Fit4Life a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    These are light weight. The colors match my bike. No struggles mounting tire.

Weaknesses:    The sidewall chafes and puntures easily. I got 3 flats in two rides with less than 1200 total miles on them. I want to spend my time riding, not replacing tubes. I doubt these tires would make it through the stresses of racing without flatting or completely blowing out a sidewall.

Bottom Line:
    These tires came with a new set of wheels I bought from an LBS going out of business. I ride very clean roads. My Continental Utra Race did a very good job of deflecting small gravel. Michelin Lithions have a slightly better grip and as they go over small gravel, the gravel chafes and punctures the sidewall. Under perfect conditions as in track, I think the tires would go 2500 miles, but in the real world, you will be spending more time and money replacing tubes than if you had bought better quality tires in the first place.

I haven't tried other Michelin products. The Krilion is supposed to be very durable. Maybe I'll give Michelin another try.

Favorite Ride:   Metric Centuries

Similar Products Used:   Continental Gatorskin (THE BEST)
    Continental Ultra Race (THE BEST)
    Vittoria Rubino Pro (ALSO JUNK)

Bike Setup:   Aluminum frame, Carbon forks and seat stays. Ultegra components. Shimano WH-560 wheels.

Submitted by Justme a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Strengths:    Good wear, ride, durability, and cost. Fairly easy to mount with hands.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    I bought these tires after one that came on my bike new blew the sidewall before I could even get out on the bike. I went to the LBS and found Michelin had a two pack deal for $65, so I figured I give them a try. I have put over 1500 miles on my bike and have replaced only two tires. The first after 900 miles due to wear. The second I ran over a pile of razor blades somebody dropped on the ground while cleaning out their work truck two weeks after replacement. When the rear gets worn, I rotate them, putting the new tire on the front.
    Handling and ride have been great, wear is as hoped, if not better. These tires are easy to mount by hand on my FSA wheel set and stay put. No problems at speed, in the wet or anything. Great allaround tires.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride is a good ride!

Purchased At:   Incycle

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Six13, FAS/Dura Ace

Submitted by arkj14 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Strengths:    Very fast for the price. Excellent durability, no flats in two years and never a scary moment!

Weaknesses:    None really, especially when you consider the price.

Bottom Line:
    These replaced the dreadfully sluggish Zaffiro's that came on my bike when I saw them on a VERY cheap offer. I've had great experiences with Michelin tyres over the years and these have to be one of the best value for money tyres you can buy!

Purchased At:   Decathlon

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Zaffiro, Kenda Kriterium, Michelin Krylion (the best), Gatorskins.

Submitted by Dick Wilson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2010

Strengths:    Good grip, supple ride

Weaknesses:    Difficult to install

Bottom Line:
    The tires have descent grip for 60 TPI tire. They are very difficult to install. I punctured two tubes trying to install them. My LBS even had a hard time. They said Michelin's were hard to install.

Favorite Ride:   Local training ride

Purchased At:   Motion Cycles, Indpl

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Zaffario

Bike Setup:   2009 Cannondale Synaspe

Michelin Kromion the same as Lithion 1 / Pro Race 2 the same tire?

[B]Specs and Description of Lithion 2 from Nashbar.[/B] WEIGHT: 220g SIZE(S): 700x23 TPI: 60tpi BEAD: Folding MAX. PSI: 116psi The Michelin Lithion 2 road tire is great for riding in bad weather. Herringbone tread pattern is excellent for challenging road conditions ... Read More »

Buy a pr of Michelin Pro 4, get a free pr of Michelin Lithion 2(700x23c) ends July 31

I received this email from Ribble. This is a Michelin factory offer being honored by Ribble. [url=http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Michelin-TYRES-ROAD-TRI-TRACK-FOLDING-Michelin-Pro-4-Race-Service-Course-Folding-Tyre/MICHTYRF209]Michelin Pro 4 Race Service Course Folding Tyre[/ ... Read More »

Michelin Lithion 2 vs Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 tire

Greetings all. I want some input as what you all think of these 2 tires I plan to buy as for handling, durability, weight, etc from personal experience if you owned one. Vittoria cost $7 more. Thanks in advance.Read More »

Michelin Lithion 2 vs Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 tire

Greetings all. I want some input as what you all think of these 2 tires I plan to buy as for handling, durability, weight, etc from personal experience if you owned one. Vittoria cost $7 more($29) vs Michelin($22). Thanks in advance.Read More »

Krylion Carbon $25 & Lithion $17 @ PBK

Just ordered some Krylions. 25mm sold out but 23mm still available in all 3 colors. Lithion may be an even better deal, but I like the Krylions.Read More »