Michelin Transworld Sprint Tires - Clincher

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

The Transworld Sprint has a versatile tread for city touring trail or even dry cyclocross. Protek compound provides high mileage grip and resistance to aging and pollutants. Puncture resistant reinforcement under the tread. 700x35 or 700x40 wire bead. All black or with a reflective stripe on the sidewall.

Submitted by amandar a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap, reflective stripe, fairly puncture resistant.

Weaknesses:    Scary cornering on asphalt.
Terrible in the rain (on-road).

Bottom Line:
This is decent mixed-use tire for the price, but the on road performance is just scary.
Braking was horrible in the wet, and cornering wet or dry was awful, so I took the front tire off and replaced it with a conti.
I'm happy enough with the sprint as a rear tire. It does well on dirt paths and grass, and it seems to have great traction when climbing.
I probably won't purchase one again, but I'll continue to use the ones I have until they wear out(as rear tires only).

Similar Products Used:   Conti top touring, conti contact,schwalbe marathon

Submitted by huboon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2010

Strengths:    fantastic grip on hardpack dirt, sand and in mud; rolling resistance on asphalt not excessive for the tire size; good protection against flats

Weaknesses:    tough to find them without the reflective strip but you can remove it yourself

Bottom Line:
I got these for taking the cyclocross bike from home to my favorite dirt roads and back. The 35mm size is perfect for some shock absorption without feeling overly spongey on asphalt. Nice tread pattern. Traction on hardpack dirt and mud is outstanding. Puncture resistance is also great -- I've got several hundred miles over rocks, dirt and San Fernando Valley road debris without a flat (hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying that). When these are worn out I'll replace them with more of the same.

Favorite Ride:   asphalt to dirt to asphalt

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Conti Country Ride; Vittoria Randonneur

Bike Setup:   2007 Cannondale cyclocross w/ disk brakes

Submitted by GlowBoy a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2006

Strengths:    For a semislick, very good grip on dirt, mud, snow and ice. Puncture proof. Reflective sidewalls. Faster-rolling than a full knobby. Cheap! I paid $18 at universalcycles.com, which for me is an LBS, and they actually had it in stock.

Weaknesses:    Disappointing wet-pavement grip. Heavy (650g). Fairly slow-rolling for a semislick.

Bottom Line:
I picked this tire up for the 29"er I use for commuting in Portland's wet winters. As is typical for Michelin, it's even bigger than the stated 700x40 would suggest, bigger than some 700x42s. I also sometimes detour through Forest Park on the way home, which means I need a tire that can handle occasional mud and gravel.

I've only ridden it 3-4 months so it's too early to judge puncture resistance except that I've had no flats yet. Grip off-pavement is about as good as any semislick I've tried, even on surfaces not deep enough to engage the side knobs. Grip is not very good on wet pavement, probably due to the center diamond tread. Rolling resistance is better than most full knobbies but definitely on the high side for a semislick.

Favorite Ride:   Lost in Oregon

Purchased At:   universalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis WormDrive 700x42 (narrower, 445g, extremely fast rolling, very good wet-pavement grip, weak offroad grip). IRC Mythos CX Slick 700x42 (520g, reasonably fast rolling, weak wet-pavement grip, decent offroad grip). Schwalbe BlackJack 700x45 (650g, quite fast rolling, scary-bad wet-pavement grip, outstanding grip in all other conditions). Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 700x45 (studded, 1050g, similar rolling to the Michelin, excellent grip in all conditions from wet pavement to mud to dry or wet snow to dry or wet ice). Hand-shaved Kenda Klaw 29x2.0 (580g, very fast rolling with center knobs removed, decent grip on mud and wet pavement, puncture prone without tire liner due to thin casing, modify tires yourself at your own risk).

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey, SRAM DualDrive Disc 3-speed hub, On-One Mungo bars, 40W homebuilt light system w/strobe & running lights. That's why they call me GlowBoy.

Submitted by jw25 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2005

Strengths:    Very grippy tread pattern and compound, excellent durability.

Weaknesses:    Fairly wide for the marked size.
Slow rolling - but that's the tradeoff for the tread.

Bottom Line:
I picked these up, lightly used, from that boon to cheap cyclists, Ebay.
I've used these for the past 5 months or so on my commuter. No damage to the tread or casing, even rolling through potholes and over broken glass. I've taken them off-road for shortcuts, and never felt out of control. The tread compound is pretty soft, for really good traction, but doesn't seem to wear that quickly. I still have most of the diamond center tread on the rear, and the side knobs look new.
The reflective sidewall stripe is a nice touch, too.
I recently picked up a set of Conti Top Touring 32s, which make the Michelins seem really slow by comparison. Once it snows, though, I'll be mounting the Transworlds back up.

Favorite Ride:   Black Mo