Panaracer Extreme Duro Tires - Clincher

2.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Its more robust and all new proprietery 3D casing helps prevent those sharp objects lurking on the road from puncturing tires. Equipped with all of the performance features found on the Extreme,this is the training tire.

Submitted by nycyclist06 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2012

Strengths:    Light, flat-resistant

Weaknesses:    Problem with tread adhesion

Bottom Line:
I'm about 175 lb and keep my tires around 100 psi. I had wanted a flat-resistant 700x23c training tire for riding around New York City and the surrounding area. I bought a pair of the "original" Duro Extreme's with the natural-rubber sidewalls but found the rear tire wore out very quickly in less than 100 miles. The tread detached from the aramid belt underneath and pulled off in large pieces. Panaracer's US cust. svc. was amazingly helpful, even sending me two tires to replace the one I sent back!

The new tires were all-black, including the sidewalls, so I assumed this was a newer design that perhaps was addressing the adhesion problems of the older model, but after a few hundred miles the new rear tire exhibited the same problem, with the tread peeling off to expose the belt underneath. I haven't seen too many reports of this happening around the interweb, so maybe it's just me, but I can't recommend these tires. On the plus side, I didn't get any flats!

I'm switching now to a backup Stradius Sport, which I hope will prove more durable.

Similar Products Used:   Various Panaracer and Kenda road tires.

Submitted by rob a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2011

Strengths:    No flats, good grip

Weaknesses:    road noise

Bottom Line:
This tire is on the front of my commuting bike, so far it's been good, lots of grip in wet\dry\snow, no punctures

Favorite Ride:   Marinoni

Purchased At:   labicicletta

Similar Products Used:   Conti gator skins

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by San on Tour a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2007

Weaknesses:    It maybe touted as a tough tyre but I think they need to work on the manufacturing quality.

Bottom Line:
Got a pair new for a 2 week road tour in South East Asia. They were harder to mount than the wire bead Paselas they replaced. In use they were alright but for a couple of defects. On one tyre is what looks like a diagonal cut on the thread but on closer examination seems like it just sheared apart. Didn't render it unusable as it isn't deep, just unervy to look at. On the inside of the casing of the other piece mounted on the rear wheel was a small separation of the plies that left a gap causing the tube to develop a very slow leak. Some duct tape took care of that but annoying that it had to be dealt with.

Submitted by San on Tour a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2007

Submitted by toki rocket a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Weaknesses:    Won't actually mount on rim.

Bottom Line:
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE. This is my first review on this site because this is the first time that a product had me cussing at it and screaming at the top of my lungs. I bought it wanting to match my vintage Japanese bike, but I never actually got a chance to use these tires since THEY WOULDN'T MOUNT TO MY RIM! No matter how hard I tried I could not get the bead into the hub and now my hubs are wobbly from trying. SKIP THIS JUNK AT ALL COSTS. Mine are going back tomorrow.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Continental Gatorskins.
Specialized Transitions.