Panaracer T-Serv Kevlar Tires - Clincher

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

• Store Price

Panaracer T-Serv Protex Tire An urban favorite: the choice of many messengers and urban commuters. Duro Protex improves on the original Duro by adding a Protex breaker to the super tough 3D casing. Protex is a proprietary additi...

Submitted by brail rider

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2013

Strengths:    Tough, reliable, small weight gain for large reliability increase vs racy road tires.

Weaknesses:    hard to find at LBS

Bottom Line:
By far my favorite commuter tire. I'm currently running them on a set of fulcrum racing quattros on a 105 cannondale cadd-x frame-set. I ran them on open-pros laced to ultegra hubs on a 9s ultegra surly cross check till it got stolen as well. They only weigh 70g per tire (700x28c) more than a 23c conti 4000s, roll well, don't flat and last thousands of miles. I don't know how much more you can ask from a tire. The one odd thing I find with these is there almost seems to be a break in period, similar to the urban max tires they replaced. The little nobbies / bumps/ mould hairs seem to catch a lot of air till they smooth out over the first 100 or so miles, (or mabey it the sidewall?) then they roll as well as any road tire out there. Being slightly wider also helps them soak up some road noise if you are running stiff wheels or a stiff frame set. Highly recommended as a commuter/light touring/reliable road tire for those who rack up miles on their bikes. Every now and then they make me question why exactly I spend more than double (hutchinson atom tubeless) per tire for my racing rig. anyways, very happy with these, ride hard :)

Submitted by mreding

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2013

Strengths:    Puncture resistance, grip, cornering, durability and inexpensive

Weaknesses:    A tiny bit heavy but it rolls well

Bottom Line:
I like this tire a lot. I put them on my commute bike, my wife's Ruby and a fixed-gear bike.

Submitted by Canyon Condor a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Strengths:    Durability, puncture protection, adhering to the road surface. They are not overly heavy either.

Bottom Line:
No tire is perfect for all conditions. They are all compromises between weight, stickiness, durability and puncture protection. After 3 months on these tires, I have had no flats and no complaints about durability or weight. They are outstanding.

Favorite Ride:   Any or 'em!

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bike

Similar Products Used:   Continental Gatorskins and Specialized Nimbus

Bike Setup:   Stock 1985 Specialized Expedition (the Touring model, not the sidewalk cruiser).

Submitted by twinsemi a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance and good grip

Weaknesses:    scarce as hen's teeth

Bottom Line:
I commute about 80 miles/week and ride about another 50-100 mi/week for fun. My routes are on ordinary bay area roads, including a lot of rides in the Santa Cruz mountains, and after comparing the ride on these T-servs on my commute bike with the ride on my 18 lb road bike, I sold the road bike. Coasting down hills is now 38 mph compared to 36 on the same hill with the other bike. They ride smoother, since they a running at 90psi instead of 120psi. I bought them because they were the lightest wide tires that I could find for all-weather commuting. (32mm) They are made in both 700C and 26in. They are very similar to the Urban Max tires, but I don't think those are available any more. I would say that they have really good puncture resistance, but that would just jinx it for me. I will say that I have flatted on other tires on my commute...

Favorite Ride:   demo forest

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Armadillo, much too slow

Bike Setup:   69er, 20 lb commuter bike, made from my old hardtail mtb with a Kinesis cross fork and ultegra 12-23 cluster

Submitted by bafrank a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2008

Strengths:    Not worrying about your tires - The look on the other riders faces when you hop the curb and take a short-cut through the wilderness at 20mph

Weaknesses:    Not meeting other cyclist when your stuck on the side of the road 50 miles from home with a sidewall blowout!

Bottom Line:
Well, living in Manhattan gives new meaning to the idea of bad roads. Glass and debris are completely normal, potholes are actually the most common road surface and racing taxi cabs down wet cobbles stones while avoiding pedestrians and answering a phone call is normal. In addition one wants to be able hang with roadie friends on the weekend for a 50-60 mile spinner, and on top of all of that, I'm a cross rider. So, snow, mud, rocks - very sharp ones - sand, sun, extreme humid heat, contrasted by cold so dear that it makes your snot freeze and lungs burn, and despite this constant barrage of abuse, I have never had a flat. Maybe luck? I am about to try some more race-oriented tires - I have some tri's coming up - so we'll see. I run these tire (against all manufacture suggestions) at 80 psi off-road and at 110 on. They can stop on a dime, or a wet manhole cover, or for that matter in the snow. When they do give, it’s in a nice controllable way, and they are easy to get back underneath you. Great low rolling resistance and reasonable weight, make them something like one of those sport crossover Porsche things – they go EVERYWHERE fast! Just a note, I have gone through two sets of Mavic Open Pro’s since I bought these, including blowing a spoke straight through the rim on a pothole in the cobblestones (many might actually call it a ditch with sharp edges), changing rims has been the only time I have had to pull the tires off.

Favorite Ride:   Marin Headlands Costal Trail

Similar Products Used:   Conti Grand Tour, lot's of different cross tires, and plenty of road tires from sew-ups to the "high pressure" 18c Panaracer tire-iron-breakers on my Litton in the late 80's

Bike Setup:   Sycip custom, Ultegra/Dura, Mavic Open Pro's,