Performance Forte Kevlar Tires - Clincher

Submitted by Little Bunny Foo Foo a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2009

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    sizing is incorrect, casing likes to seperate and puncture tubes, flat resistance might be suspect, and high rolling resistance.

Bottom Line:
These tires initially pissed me off and pretty much continued to disappoint. I bought them to put on a set of cheap rims that I had for commuting. Well, turns out the 23mm advertised width is in actually a 20mm width. I couldn't use them on the 21 mm wheels because the rim was wider than the tire. I kept them and put them on my nicer wheel set because they were cheap enough. I ended up using them for commuting for a while and got a flat once every month or so. This was more frequent than I normally get them, but my route has glass, razor blades and other hazards, so it really is just a crapshoot. I soon moved and no longer needed to commute, so the tires became my roller tires. Randomly one day I got a flat. Yes. On the rollers. Without thinking, I patched it, only to get a flat again a few days later. The casing inside had seperated and was puncturing the tire. I put a section of tire pack on the inside of the tire and continued to run it. About 500 miles later the other tire did the same thing. The tread still had at least 50% of their life left, but I didn't want to spend my time patching and replacing tubes, so I've thrown them out.

Favorite Ride:   Low wind and in my aero tuck

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Continental GP 4000 chili, Hutchinson Top Speed, Vittora Rubino Pro, Nashbar Prima 2 kevlar.

Bike Setup:   Felt F90, Shimano WH560, Oval Concepts drop and Aero bars, Shimano 105 crank, Serfas Aria saddle

Submitted by techai a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Weaknesses:    Horribly difficult to mount

Bottom Line:
I hate things bad. These tires are nearly impossible to get on the rims. Since I learned the technique of changing tires without tools, I have eschewed anything but my fingers for changing tires. With these, I barely got the first bead on without a tool but after a forehead of sweet and sore fingers, I had to grab tools to get the second bead. This is horrible and is only because of the poor design or production. I'll never by Forte again.

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Similar Products Used:   Continental, Hutchinson, Panaracer

Submitted by NM Biker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Too tight for wheel i.e. bad fit. Hellacious on tire tools. Don't resist flats,

Bottom Line:
Worst tire I have ridden on. I changed from Bontrager Race Lite XL's to try to save some money. When I first TRIED to put these on my wheels they were so tight I could not get even the first bead on without a crow bar and sledge hammer. After inserting the tube the second bead was even worse and I have since broken three tire tools and two tube due to pinch flats. These are supposed to be puncture resistent with kevlar belt but I have had numerous "goat head" flats in the two months I have been on these tires. Then to try to repair the tube on the ride means many scuffed knuckles trying to get the tire off the rim. The ride is rough and I have no confidence in these tires. I went back to Bontrager and LOVE them. I feel like I am home again. Money is one thing, enjoying the ride is far superior to saving funds.

Favorite Ride:   Triple By Pass

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Conti Gatorskins, Bontrager Race Lite XL, Team Turbo super lite racing, Conti Ultra

Bike Setup:   LeMond Victoire, Dura-Ace, Bontrager carbon handlebar and seat post, Bontrager Race X Lite wheels

Submitted by borregokid a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    Resisitant to pinch flats, good for a heavier rider. Less like to let you down on a long ride. You will have very few flats with this tire.

Weaknesses:    It doesnt last real long. You might get 3000 miles, probably less.

Bottom Line:
Definitely my favorite tire. I dont really like riding with any other tires. It actually feels like a tire and not a piece of plastic. Its taller than most tires with an extra bead of rubber. It is extremely resistant to pinch flats

Favorite Ride:   Blewett Pass

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Continental 1000, 2000, 3000, ultra gatorskins.

Submitted by Bob Manipis a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Hard to mount and the second set of tires have proven to not be as flat resisitant as the first set I purchasd.
Hard ride.

Bottom Line:
Well this is my second set of tires. The first time I purchased these tires they were bullet proof. Perfect for commuting. The second set I have not been that lucky. I have had too many flats on the rear to mention. Probably a function of bad roads and debris left over from sanding during winter. I commute regularly so I need dependable tires.

Favorite Ride:   Any