Performance GT2 Road Tire Tires - Clincher

2.67/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by mrvrsick a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap. Looks like it might actually last a good while

Weaknesses:    You get what you pay for: a good "training" tire lol

Bottom Line:
Lets get this straight: This is a training tire. The weight and rolling resistance is GREAT for training. This isn't even really a commute tire, you WILL be slower. That being said.....
I bought these for my Univega in 700 x 28. This is for the regular, non-kevlar. Went on fairly easy, didn't look too horrendous. Rode them and noticed I was CONSIDERABLY slower than the day before (19 min vs 24). Then the next day (down to 22 and change). Raised center fell off kinda weird on a pretty hard turn. But you cant really beat the price I guess. Used it for 3 days/100 miles. I would deff recommend this tire if you want a cheap training tire. I would use the kevlar version if I was super cheap, but I'm not so I think I'll go armadillo or gator...

Favorite Ride:   Whenever it's nice out ^_^

Purchased At:   Umm, performance ;]

Similar Products Used:   continental ultra race, bonti select, perf street cross

Bike Setup:   Univega Activa ;]

Submitted by Mr. Versatile a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2007

Strengths:    Long wearing, easy to mount, ride nicely, takes an act of God to flat them.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, no bling factor.

Bottom Line:
I use the Kevlar belted version of these tires on my commuter for my 36 mile round trip to work. I also rode this bike on a 1200 mile trip last summer. IME, these tires are great, especially for the money. Contrary to other poster's experiences, I've found these easy to mount, strong, round, and they roll pretty easily. Keep in mind that these are not Conti 4000s or Michelin Pro Race IIs. These cost $10 ea. and are a remarkable bargain.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   many, many different brands and models including Michelin, Conti, Panaracer, Specialized, IRC, etc.

Bike Setup:   Panasonic Sport 1000, all Shimano 7 spd, downtube friction shifters, Velocity Deep V rims, 700x28 tires.

Submitted by cmtr a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2006

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    no puncture resistance

Bottom Line:
I bought these for my old hybrid (700x28). Tires rode well, but punctured all too easy - in fact one punctured the first time I rode it. When I moved and began commuting on roads with a lot of debris, I had to take these off in a hurry.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   various conti tires

Submitted by Bob Manipis a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2005

Strengths:    Durability and cheap.

Weaknesses:    Hard to install and hard ride (to be expected at this price).

Bottom Line:
This review is for the kevlar version of this tire. I was skeptical about purchasing this tire after reading all the reviews. However, I must say that I have been surprised as I have had good luck. I ride to work 2-4 times per week (20 miles round trip). I have had only two flats to date after about 1000 miles. The kevlar must add a bit of puncture protection as he roads I ride on are very rough.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Continental 1000 Sport, Specialized Armadillo, various other products

Bike Setup:   Specialized Sirrus Comp with a LX Front Der., everything else is stock.

Submitted by kkehl4 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2004

Strengths:    Fat, heavy (for training), and cheap.

Weaknesses:    Terrible quality casing, no puncture resistance; They basically fell apart--total garbage

Bottom Line:
While they were cheap, these turned out to be garbage. They are difficult to install, have poor casing quality, and they don't protect from flats. I was even using the GT2K version, with Kevlar belt material over the tread.

The casing on the rear had a couple bulges in it, but I didn't know how bad this was until having a blowout while going ~20 MPH. There was no cut or puncture: the casing had failed, and the tube popped out the hole, right where there was supposed to be a Kevlar belt.

The one remaining tire has a bulge in it that I can feel as I ride. It probably wouldn't last for longer than a couple more rides, but I'll never know since these are headed for the bin.

Suffice it to say, I will never use PBS tires again.

Favorite Ride:   Town of Oracle

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Koncept, Conti Ultra, Vittoria Rubino Pro, Michelin, Hutchinson

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Aluminum w/Campy Centaur 10 speed and Campy Proton Wheels