Schwalbe Durano Plus Tires - Clincher

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

This is the tire to get if you're having problems with flats and want a racing bike tire. The Durano Plus has a SmartGuard belt that provides extremely effective protection against penetration punctures. The belt is made from a strong highly elastic ru

Submitted by Clinton Slayton a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2011

Strengths:    Very flat resistant. Nice sober design (if you like that).

Weaknesses:    Heavy for anything but training or commuting, but worth considering for touring if staying on the paved bits. You will have to slow down on curves and steep descents, fairly hard and slippy, even down at 90psi. Hitting a hairpin on a mountain in the rain can get the adrenaline going, big contrast from Michelin road tires.
Some are tough to mount.

Bottom Line:

Replacement for non-plus Durano/Stelvio, which was lighter. Not the grippiest tires in the rack, but since these are the old Stelvio Plus, and inherits some of its technology from the Marathon, expect reliefs from flats, but not deep tread. Comparable to Specialized Armadillo All Conditions for weight, but maybe a bit lighter, less than 400g, while the ‘Dillos run over 400g.
Sometimes difficult to mount, I have resorted to throwing in a clothes dryer near the end of a cycle (drying cycle, that is) just to expand and soften the tire for mounting. Only failure I have had at over 1000 miles on one non-Plus version of the tire, was a sidewall wound from a friend toppling over and scratching the sidewall against the road surface.
I have never run anything bigger than 23mm, but considering 25mm with fenders for this winter.

Favorite Ride:   Paved roads, mostly