Schwalbe Lugano Tires - Clincher

2.14/5 (28 Reviews)

On those many occasions when our rides demand that durability trumps lightness, the Schwalbe Lugano Clincher Tire are a solid choice for our training wheels. None of us want to have to waste precious ride time fixing flats, and no one really wants to spend more than they absolutely have to in order to get a pair of training tires. The Lugano checks all the durability and price conscious boxes, while losing very little of the racing tire feel.The Lugano Tire corners better than you'd imagine, giving you the feel that you?ll have tons of grip no matter the road surface, and the diamond profile of the tread is perfect for dry and wet conditions. A puncture protection belt has been added into the casing so that you can ride through the nastiest patches of sand and road debris on your way to work or over highway overpasses on your training rides, and you'll have every confidence that the tire will make it through unscathed. Certainly, there are lighter clinchers out there, but at this price point, there are none better as the Lugano blends a healthy dose of performance in with its durability. The Schwalbe Lugano Clincher Tire is available in Black (700c x 20, x 23, x 25) and in Black, Blue, Red, White, Yellow (700c x 23 only). It can be pumped up to between 85 and 110 PSI. Keeping the tire properly inflated will increase its effectiveness against punctures and extend the lifetime of the tread.

Submitted by Nate

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2015

Strengths:    I run the lugano on the rear wheel of my track bike. I ride every day and the used set I bought have lasted me 6 months for one tire, and I am on month three of the other one. I have never had a flat on these, and I ride through broken glass, on gravel, pavement, and anything else a big city has to offer. I have a 49x18 gear ratio so lots of skid patches, they skid very well, not sluggish but they feel solid and you don't feel that they will give way. People who say that these tires suck on wet roads obviously don't know how to ride on wet pavement.

Weaknesses:    They wear out fast but when a brand new one costs twelve dollars and a used set costs five you cannot go wrong.

Bottom Line:
People who say they wear out fast are right but seriously they are so good for the price. They a 10 million times better than conti ultra sports, those will have holes in the sidewall after a week. The lugano feels solid on wet and dry pavement, as long as you are a good bike handler.
If you need a cheap tire, these are a bang for the buck.

Submitted by Peugeot rider. a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2015

Strengths:    (25mm) Comfortable! Less body pain and no numbness in hands. Good summer commuting tire.

Weaknesses:    The grip is not so well when road is wet. I did slide a bit with these and cannot trust with hard cornering EVEN IN DRY WEATHER. I haven't fallen down but, I had bunch of "almost moments." Tires are not equal weight either... front/rear (brand new) 255/286 a bit on the heavy side without good enough puncture resistance.

Bottom Line:
These came stock on my Cannondale Synapse, they are okay tires but, personally I wouldn't buy them after my experience. They do wear very fast, are not very puncture resistant and do not hold very well when the road is wet or through hard cornering. After getting a few flats I put in liners so the only thing now is just the lack of grip these tires have.

Favorite Ride:   Tour De Okinawa

Similar Products Used:   Continental Gatorskin (25mm)

Submitted by Jason

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2015

Strengths:    For the price these tires are fantastic.

Weaknesses:    wear a little fast but overall not bad

Bottom Line:
I'm reading all the negative reviews about people falling and how "Cannondale shouldn't put these on bikes" and I'm like WTF? These people simply don't know how to ride! How about this, if your falling that much, learn how to ride your bike and quit blaming the tires. There's a start, uh?

Submitted by Meredith a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2015

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    These were original tires on my cannondale synapse carbon. I replaced the front tire two years ago when the tire developed an s curve (possibly a belt failure). The rear just did the same. Junk tires.

Bottom Line:
Very poor tires. 100% failure rate.

Submitted by A Baker a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2015

Strengths:    Look good

Weaknesses:    No grip whatsoever

Bottom Line:
These tyres are the worst I have road due to the dangerous lack of grip. Lost the front in dry conditions but managed to save it but fell 3 days later in moist conditions in a slow speed corner. These tyres are unsafe.