Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Tires - Clincher

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

The Marathon Supreme is a super tough touring tire that maintains excellent ride quality and is the lightest in the Marathon line. HD SpeedGuard puncture protection breaker is made up of tightly woven fibers to keep flats at bay while preserving a supple ride. LiteSkin sidewall is super tough but also lightweight. RoadStar triple rubber compound provides excellent grip and long tread life. Water channels further wet weather handling. Reflective stripe on sidewall. Folding bead further lightens the load. Size 700c x 35mm 37-622mm ISO. 430 grams.

Submitted by Chainstay a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2014

Strengths:    Tough, good pavement performance, adequate gravel performance, better cornering on wide rim, long wearing, good shock absorption

Weaknesses:    light bulb shape on narrow rim so not so stable, need to watch loose road conditions like gravel and wet leaves, rides a bit on the harsh side at 90psi, not light

Bottom Line:
I am running the 700 x 28 version and have had it on both 19.5mm and 24mm wide rims. It is a very good touring tire or commuter tire if you want long life and ride primarily on the pavement. I also use this tire on light gravel and loose terrain but you need to corner carefully. It is better shaped and more stable on the wider rim

Similar Products Used:   Conti GP 4 seasons - much faster rolling tire

Bike Setup:   Originally on a steel tourer with Ksyriums. Now on an aluminium endurance bike (Specialized) with Axis 4.0 rims

Submitted by Derak Edwards

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2014

Strengths:    Just completed 2500kms on a pair of these great tyres on read tracks and forest trails around Chiang Mai northern Thailand. Just one puncture but hardly the tyres fault, A 2mm slit between rim and reflective strip,says more about the roads and tracks than the tyre. The mold mark around the circumference on the front tyre is still just visible so looking forward to thousands of more kms on these tyres. Piece of cake to mount and remove(700Cx35)

Weaknesses:    At over $100 for a pair,expensive but quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten. Not the best in mud and sand but for me a minor problem as my routes rarely take me over this sort of surface.

Bottom Line:
So far the best tyres I have used in almost 30 thousand kms of day rides and touring. If the first 2,500kms is anything to go by then will not be looking for anything else when it comes to replacement.

Submitted by Jacek Seroka

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2014

Strengths:    During my last trip through Iceland extremely sharp stones on offroads paths are very common,I had a zero flats

Weaknesses:    no

Bottom Line:
Great Fast tires and no flats

Submitted by Martin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Strengths:    Good rolling and comfortable. Felt good throwing them over the nearest fence when I replaced them roadside.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Not puncture resistant. Not durable.

Bottom Line:
Bought 2.0 Supremes for Perth to Sydney tour. Fast and comfortable to start. Expected durability and flat resistance and got neither. Tyres punctured easily in Aussie conditions (thorns mainly)and altho rotated every 1000 kms the inner lining of one tyre split and deformed at 3000kms. Both tyres substantially worn. Tyres sank suddenly and dangerously when forced into soft shoulder material causing two spills.

Favorite Ride:   Perth to Sydney

Purchased At:   Online in Australia

Similar Products Used:   Replaced with GEAX evolutions, old model. Slower, heavier but safer and more comfortable.

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon Disc. Shimano SLX all round.Rear panniers about 20 kgs or less. Tyres inflated to 50psi.

Submitted by MTT a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2010

Strengths:    Rain handling and puncture resistance

Bottom Line:
I have tried the Armadillo, Gatorskin and this tire for commuting, and this one is the best with the Gatorskin second. For me it is not just about puncture resistance, but how the bike handles in the rain, and this tire works great in the rain.

Purchased At:   Online Schwalbe