Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Tires - Clincher

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

The Marathon Supreme is a super tough touring tire that maintains excellent ride quality and is the lightest in the Marathon line. HD SpeedGuard puncture protection breaker is made up of tightly woven fibers to keep flats at bay while preserving a supple ride. LiteSkin sidewall is super tough but also lightweight. RoadStar triple rubber compound provides excellent grip and long tread life. Water channels further wet weather handling. Reflective stripe on sidewall. Folding bead further lightens the load. Size 700c x 35mm 37-622mm ISO. 430 grams.

Submitted by Jacek Seroka

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2014

Strengths:    During my last trip through Iceland extremely sharp stones on offroads paths are very common,I had a zero flats

Weaknesses:    no

Bottom Line:
Great Fast tires and no flats

Submitted by Martin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Strengths:    Good rolling and comfortable. Felt good throwing them over the nearest fence when I replaced them roadside.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Not puncture resistant. Not durable.

Bottom Line:
Bought 2.0 Supremes for Perth to Sydney tour. Fast and comfortable to start. Expected durability and flat resistance and got neither. Tyres punctured easily in Aussie conditions (thorns mainly)and altho rotated every 1000 kms the inner lining of one tyre split and deformed at 3000kms. Both tyres substantially worn. Tyres sank suddenly and dangerously when forced into soft shoulder material causing two spills.

Favorite Ride:   Perth to Sydney

Purchased At:   Online in Australia

Similar Products Used:   Replaced with GEAX evolutions, old model. Slower, heavier but safer and more comfortable.

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon Disc. Shimano SLX all round.Rear panniers about 20 kgs or less. Tyres inflated to 50psi.

Submitted by MTT a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2010

Strengths:    Rain handling and puncture resistance

Bottom Line:
I have tried the Armadillo, Gatorskin and this tire for commuting, and this one is the best with the Gatorskin second. For me it is not just about puncture resistance, but how the bike handles in the rain, and this tire works great in the rain.

Purchased At:   Online Schwalbe

Similar Products Used:   Gatorskin and the Armadillo

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tri cross set up for commuting

Submitted by John A. a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    Durability, flat-resistance, ride comfort.

Weaknesses:    slightly increased rolling resistance. Well worth the benefits.

Bottom Line:
How much is your time worth? Got tired of flats on my commute. Averaged about one flat every two weeks, but sometimes multiple flats on one ride! Once I fitted the Marthon Supremes, flats dropped to... well I'm not sure what they dropped to yet because six months later I still haven't had one. Yes, these are the same gravel and glass-strewn roads and goathead-infected paths I've been riding for years. Whatever "kevlar" my old tires had was BS. These Scwhalbes are proving themselves to me. And having reflective sidewalls is a great idea. In fact once you see them lit up, other tire makers are ignorant not to have them.

Cost vs. other tires: Yes they are more expensive. How much is your time worth? Because these are going to save you hours of roadside repairs over the life of the tires. You ride in the rain? Isn't fixing a flat in the rain so much fun? I'm trying to get from point A to point B. I'm not in the Tour de France, and I don't have someone following me with spares. These tires are meant for the real world.

Favorite Ride:   road

Purchased At:   Schwalbe

Similar Products Used:   Previous tires were Avocet FasGrip with Kevlar (meh). Also Bontrager Race Lite "hardcase" (double meh.)

Bike Setup:   Trek 520 set up for commuting.

Submitted by FrenchFit a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2009

Strengths:    Very smooth rolling, fairly fast, feels strong and light, handles touring weight - no problem. A good looking tire.

Weaknesses:    Just the price.

Bottom Line:
Replaced a rear Holy Roller with a SUPREME 26 x 2. on my trekking bike. Only have 50 or so miles on it, moderate load, 26" rims. Wish I had done it earlier this year, pretty much can stay up a gear. It feels like Bontrager hardcase race-lite, but bigger. Off road, I don't know, but I'm not on the loose stuff that often. Not heavy like the marathon pluses.

Favorite Ride:   Tomorrow's