Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Tires - Clincher

2.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Schwalbe Ultremo ZX is a competition tire. This fast rolling road tire allows maximum power transfer, to get you further down the road with every pedal. Schwalbe used additional material to reinforce the tire shoulders and to produce...

Submitted by Cameron

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2013

Strengths:    Great feel on the road. Nice grip in corners.

Weaknesses:    No longevity.

Bottom Line:
I used these tires for approximately 300 miles before the sidewalls started pealing away. Flats started occurring around 350 miles. I loved the feel of these tires and was very pleased for about a week. I went back to my Conti 4000S's immediately after 3 flats in the first 400 miles (week to week and a half). Not recommended

Submitted by twain a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, easy to mount, good feel

Weaknesses:    Prone to catastrophic cuts.

Bottom Line:
I *loved* the Schawlbe R1 series--even though they had the problem with the sidewall bulging, the "second batch" was awesome. They gave the feel of high-end Vittorias, were nearly as durable as Conti 4000's and were easier to mount; you don't really need a tire iron.
The ZX is supposed to be an upgrade -- and 5 grams lighter (190 grams). However, I have had 2 bad experiences.
First- front tire got a huge chunk out of it ON THE FIRST RIDE. I had a triathlon the week later; I opted to use a different tire b/c I didn't think the tire would be trustworthy. Then, this weekend, after ~ 500 miles the other ZX got a chunk out of it which led to a flat which really tore up the tube. I am really bummed that the new version of the R1 is actually worse; may have to go back to Vittorias or Contis (which I don't like as much as the R1s).

Favorite Ride:   Old La Honda