Specialized All Condition Armadillo Tires - Clincher

3.97/5 (36 Reviews)

Our All Condition road tire does absolutely everything well, making it one of the best all-around tires available anywhere. Proprietary Armadillo flat protection assures riders can cover as much terrain as they want and never have to worry about punctures. The lightweight dual-compound siped tread blends all-condition traction even in wet conditions with exceptional wear. Top it all off with our motorcycle-inspired dual radius design (DRT) that minimizes contact in straight lines, while maximizing contact surface and traction in corners.

Submitted by Robin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2015

Strengths:    Bulletproof. Run over glass, rocks, anything and younwon't have a flat.

Weaknesses:    Poor wear. 3000 km for $80 isn't very impressive. In spite of that I have run several sets of these tires. Today, fortunately my wife was behond me and noticed the the rear tire wobbling. It was actually grossly distorted due to the sidewalls tearing away from the bead in several areas. We made it home but barely and the tire only has about 2000 km on it. Good design but they have cheaped out on the manufacturing. I won't buy another set.

Bottom Line:
Great puncture resistance but poor wear and shoddy build quality. I'm going to try some Contis and see what happens.

Favorite Ride:   Mixed roads and paved cycle path for some cardio with tunes

Purchased At:   St-Onge Granby Qc

Bike Setup:   Specialized Sequoia

Submitted by Jim Rothblatt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2013

Strengths:    Flat resistant and long lasting on all road conditions.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I live in the southwestern U.S. desert and have been using these tires for years. I usually get about 3,000 miles on the rear 25 tire and about 4,000 miles out of the front 23 tire. I weigh 180. Before I discovered the Armadillos I confess that I would get near crazy sometimes from the number of flats I experienced, but since Armadillos I have mellowed considerably. The rare flat tire now is usually when the tire is worn down from too many miles or I encounter serious road debris like a sheet metal screw or tough staple, etc. I have considered trying Continental Gator Skins as I hear good things and have read good reviews, but I am hesitant to trade in what I know for the unknown. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Favorite Ride:   http://desertroadkill.blogspot.com/

Submitted by John LeBlanc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2013

Strengths:    No flats, comfortable

Weaknesses:    I hear they're a bit heavy but it doesn't bother me

Bottom Line:
I forgot how much I love these tires until I recently had a slow leak in the valve and had to either rush home or change the tube. Oh yeah, so that's what a flat is like. Got back into cycling 4 years ago, I ride whenever the weather is good and I can squeeze in the time, 300 to 500mi per season. I ride an 89 Cannondale, one of the harshest frames known to mankind. Was still running the stock tires believe it or not. First two seasons were filled with pain, fatigue and 4 flats. Bike was way too rigid. 30 MPH was downright scary. Every bump felt like the bike was going to shake out of my hands. I kept going back to my old Raleigh Pursuit 27x1.25 for comfort. Turns out I was just as fast on that old tank because there was no fatigue. Bought some 700x25 Armadillos and a gel seat for flat protection and comfort. Feels like a whole new bike and no flats yet in two years, 800mi. Now I spend my free time riding instead of swearing by the side of the road. 30MPH is not scary anymore because it feels stable. I'm not a racer but I like to ride fast. Traction has been fine. I know I do a lot of things wrong, harsh frame, gel seat, toe strap pedals, big tires, no biker clothes and usually no helmet but I don't care. The bike feels stable and comfortable and I love riding as much as I can. Thanks Specialized! These tires are well worth the money.

Favorite Ride:   Nahant beach

Purchased At:   Seaside Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, Bontrager K select

Bike Setup:   89 Cannondale SR500

Submitted by john flynn a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2013

Strengths:    good all weather traction

Weaknesses:    outer rubber casing starts to crack on side casing, just where black rubber meets side casing.

Bottom Line:
apart from side casing starting to crack , found tyres very good for 2 years , from new.only had 2 punctures and rode for 2 years, main roads city, country tracks and mountain lanes .very good overall.i dont race so tyre is good for my training and commuting.

Favorite Ride:   slieve croob n.ireland.