Specialized Roubaix Armadillo Elite Tires - Clincher

4.22/5 (9 Reviews)

• The Roubaix tires are the perfect match for the rider who wants the ultimate in performance without the harsh ride. Comfortable large volume 25c casing, merged with fast-rolling 23c Dual Radius Tread (DRT) ensure a supple ride that rolls fast and corners extremely well, all in one tire. Now with the Armadillo Elite technology: the ultimate in lightweight puncture resistance.
  • Armadillo Elite technology: the ultimate in lightweight puncture resistance
  • Casing: 25c 120 TPI casing
  • 700 x 23c dual compound tread
  • DRT design for low rolling resistance and great cornering
  • Compound Center: 70a
  • Compound Shoulder: 60a
  • Bead: Kevlar
  • PSI: 115-125

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Brian

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2012

Strengths:    No Flats! Smooth Ride.

Weaknesses:    Still looking for one

Bottom Line:
    After riding Michelin's and suffering a back to back flat on the same ride (due to glass in the tire that I initially couldn't feel) I decided to explore a tougher tire. I don't ride from a racing perspective so I don't have a lot to add there. I tend to ride longer endurance rides like centuries and double centuries. Prior to a century ride last summer I switched to the the Armadillos, the day before. Needless to say I was concerned about my initial ride on them being a full century but that's how it went. This particular century was the Hot Hundred starting at the University of Alabama and venturing out on some of the worst back country roads I've ever been on, think teeth rattling for most of the 100 miles. In that regard, it wouldn't matter what tires you were running but what I will say is that for flats... SAG was very busy... just not for my bike. While two of the riders I was with throughout the ride suffered flats, I had no issues. I run at about 105 PSI on them and since I weigh about 165 lbs I haven't had any wear issues even though I'm over 3000 miles on them. I do plan to change them out and make them spares before getting too far into the coming season but mostly this is from my psychological standpoint of not wanting to push to long on them and not because I see any visible signs indicating they need changing.

Simply put, unless someone introduces me to another tire that is clearly more durable, comfortable, with a similar price tag, I will be riding this tire for many years to come.

Submitted by Dr Meredith James

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, and puncture protection.

Weaknesses:    Very difficult to fit.I'll use talc next time.

Bottom Line:
    Great tyres ! They work really well on our poor road surfaces, and the extra air gives a really comfortable ride.Not as fast as 23's but in my case thats academic. I run them at 100psi. I tried 125psi, but it was tooth cracking, on our crap roads. So far no punctures.

Submitted by Don Racine a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, low rolling resistance, best selection/lowest weight. Great ride, good comfort, 165lb. rider at 100psi. 200 miles/week

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
    Ride more, fix less flats, train consistantly, great all-around, all season tire. 23/25c size is optimal for this application of secondary road w/ mucho debris (broken glass, cactus tumble weeds)

Favorite Ride:   old rte.66 Kingman AZ

Purchased At:   Bicycle Outfitters,

Similar Products Used:   conti-gatorskins, michelen oriums

Bike Setup:   54 cm Novara REI Carbon/alu. 18 lb., Selle Italia Bio-line

Submitted by bill vermeulen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2011

Strengths:    smooth ride

Weaknesses:    lasted only 800 miles

Bottom Line:
    most comfortable tires I've ridden.I thought it was the carbon frame that gave a smooth ride till I tried other tires.

Favorite Ride:   specialized

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   the non armadillo roubaix tires. they lasted 1200 miles

Bike Setup:   specialized roubaix elite

Submitted by dubdryver a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2009

Strengths:    Very Durable, Offers a good ride. If you combine with a liner, you could consider these BOMBPROOF! No flats, no drama, they just ride and ride! Also I run these at 110psi. at 174lb.

Weaknesses:    The tire is a little bit wide, and does require you to squeeze the tire through the brakes. Check to make sure your frame/fork has enough clearance. I didnt experience any clearance problems. I have the elite version on the back wheel, Pro version on the front, but I do not think either of these wheels really grip super well when you have to get on the brakes, the braking grip I will say is just average. I have gotten a small slit in the center of the tire from road debris but it has not effect the performance at all!

Bottom Line:
    I have used this tire for about 3 months now (front tire). I have just under 3k miles on them and have not had any similar problems to the other reviews. The 23/25c setup is kind of interesting at that I have not found any other tires the same, and it works. It provices a bit more cushion than a 23c with less contact patch than a 25c.

Favorite Ride:   Biscayne Bay/A1A