Vittoria Corsa CX Tires - Clincher

3.42/5 (19 Reviews)

150psi Front tire. For racing.

Submitted by greg a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Weaknesses:    Can't install on zipp rims without tools.

Bottom Line:
These tires are nearly impossible to fit on a Zipp rim. I have over 10 years experience riding and racing road bikes and there is no way to install these without tools. Worst part, is I got the zipp clincher rims so I could change a tire during a long course race (ironman). If I can't install these at home, how will I ever get them changed during a race?

Submitted by Tim Barnhart a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Beautifully smooth, quiet riding.

Weaknesses:    Easily damaged beyond repair.

Bottom Line:
If you are wealthy or get your tires for free these are the best riding, so smooth! But they are cut easily. I've gotten about 600 miles on a pair and the rear is all chewed up with little tears and the black underlining showing through. Probably not safe to use. Vredestein Fortezza much tougher so back I go.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Diablo

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Stradius Pro, Continental 3000s, Hutchinson Top Speed(AWFUL!)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix, ultegra, Neuvation wheels.

Submitted by Thylacine a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Strengths:    Fast, light, great feel - the best road racing high pressure that I have ridden. Great for road and criteriums.

Weaknesses:    Not made for everyday training - these are racing tires (this is really not a weakness though).

Bottom Line:
These tires rock. Don't be mistaken, they are race tires and are not made for everyday training. They are as close to singles as you will find. Fast, grip the road like hell and light. Pump them up to 150psi and hear them hum on the road. Simply the fastest high pressures that I have ridden. They got me through the road racing season without a puncture.

Favorite Ride:   Sunday morning bunch ride

Purchased At:   www.sdeals.com

Similar Products Used:   Michelin, Continental, Hutchinson.

Bike Setup:   Orbea with Durace and Zipp 340's.

Submitted by a Recreational Rider from San Carlos CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Strengths:    RIde ; less rolling resistance, handling performance, wet performance, grip, braking performance - all superior.

Weaknesses:    TIre is soft compound and will wear quickly. Supposedly the EVO version is better, but I have not yet tried it.

Bottom Line:
Vittoria Open Corsa CX is the best performing tire I have ridden on.The rolling resistance, handling characteristics, braking, and ride comfort are far superior to other tires I have used, including Continental GP3000, and Michelin Pro Race. THe Vittoria is a much more stable tire. However, it does not last - you pay for the performance.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Tahoe

Purchased At:   Palo ALto Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Continental GP 3000, Michelin Pro Race

Bike Setup:   Trek 5500, Durace

Submitted by Brian a Triathlete from Harrisburg, PA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Strengths:    Very supple, nice feel on the road
Corner well
Mount and dismount very easily - and you're going to need it

Weaknesses:    Soft tread cuts easily
Cuts often go right through the casing

Bottom Line:
I bought six of these when I found them at a good price. They are called Open Corsa CX, they are clinchers. I'm not sure what tubular reviews are doing here.

They do ride very well, they feel supple and corner well. However, they cut like nothing I ever had before. And when they cut, they typically cut right through the casing - I can't believe there is kevlar in there. I have had to throw two away so far. I just did the Spud triathlon yesterday, and I flatted about a mile from the end; this one had a cut but only a small hole through the casing, so I put a patch on the inside and I'll see if I can get some miles out of it. The two new ones will be on eBay shortly. I have no idea how long they last, I have not yet gotten 300 miles out of one of them before a terminal cut.

For reference, I am a big guy - 225 lbs/102 kg/16 stone, so maybe they behave differently under the typical 150 pounder. I guess I'll go back to Michies, but I have no experience with the Axial series. I had a bunch of Hi-Lite Supercomp HDs, which were good, and BiSynergics which were fantastic. I rarely got flats in any of those and they were reasonably supple, but they don't stick as well in corners.

Purchased At:   U.K. mail order shop

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Hi-Lite Supercomp HD - good for the price, although you'd occasionally get one with poor tread alignment
Michelin Hi-Lite Prestige - ditto
Michelin BiSynergic - best tire ever?
Performance

Bike Setup:   653 frame, Campagnolo Chorus, CXP-33 rims

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX and EVO II CX

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX and EVO II CX? Any differences between the two.. i can't find online anyone. ThanksRead More »

Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX......why?

Read the recent threads about the great sale prices. Did a search and found many, many remarks about poor longevity, cut resistance and great suppleness and feel with some latex tubes. Plus the tire is actual size or even wider: a 25c is 27mm on a 23mm wide rim! Even for a raceday tire why would ... Read More »

Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX 320tpi

If you could post what the width of the 25mm is on 19, 21 and 23 mm rims I would appreciate it.Read More »

Finally replaced my Vittoria Open Evo Corsa CX tire

After well over 3000 miles and without a single flat, I finally decided to replace the Vittoria Evo Corsa clincher tire on my rear wheel. I noticed that the rubber had worn off in one spot - probably when I skidded to avoid a baby deer the other night (that was close). Otherwise, they seemed to be i ... Read More »

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX clincher, grip issues?

Looking at getting some new tires and I have been hearing that the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX is a great tire. However, after doing some research , a lot of people seem to complain of bad grip, especially in the wet. Anyone experience this?Read More »