Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 Slick Tires - Clincher

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Mount up a set of Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 Slick Clincher Tires and ride with corner-gripping traction, speed-enhancing low rolling resistance, and comfort-boosting suppleness.

Submitted by Oldteen a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2016

Strengths:    Great value all-around clincher, solid speed, grip, and wear.

Weaknesses:    Low "bling" factor

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 150tpi RP III Slick. Slick rolls notably better than standard Rubino Pro tread design. Lasts ~3-3,500mi on rear (I don't rotate tires) over typically bad Midwest US roads (I'm 170-175#). Few cuts and very rare flats (<1 per season). NEVER had a sidewall failure (unlike Conti's). Not quite as fast as dedicated race tire like Michelin ProRace or Conti Attack/Force, or as buttery smooth ride as Open Corsa, but much more durable and longer tread life than any of those. My 4 star rating is on an absolute scale, but a screaming 5+ stars for value!

Favorite Ride:   The next one!

Similar Products Used:   Rubino Pro (non slick), Conti UltraSport, Conti GP 4000 S II, Open Corsa EVO, Hutchinson Fusion, Maxis Courchevel, etc, etc.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac, Ultegra

Submitted by Wayne Nagata a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2015

Strengths:    Speed, speed, yeah man! I am comparing these to the Rubino Pro 3 tire. I rode the Pro 3 for over a year, finally started to square off the rears, good tires but nothing remarkable about them. The Slicks had supple rubber, grips on corners. They were very easy to install, I installed them with no levers; 0 These are the 150 tpi slick tire. acceleration under full power can easily be felt. also climbing felt faster.
Prices was what suck me in. I got them at $27 each.

Weaknesses:    low speed from rest to 10 mph but equal to my Rubino Pro 3s. So to be picky the low speed from standing still to 10 mph felt the same on both the Rubino Pro 3s and the Rubino Pro 3 slicks. But that is not to shabby anyways. I notice that the rears were wearing a little on the first ride. We shall see after a couple of months.

Bottom Line:
I am coming from Rubino Pro 3 to the Rubino Pro 3 slicks 120 tpi. I rode the Pro 3s for a long time. These are the 25mm tires, pumped to 90 psi. I read a article about lowering the psi. Rolling resistance did not drop off, I can roll over man hole covers w/o going air born and soaked up the bad roads in my area. The Slicks are much faster, from 10 mph up. You can feel to punch out of the saddle. Mid speed cruise for me is 15/16 mph and it felt effortless. Well anyway, I used less energy to keep cruise pace. They really take off on the down hills, the also flicks quicker but did not feel unstable. I didn't notice the speed on down hills. in comparison on the old Rubinos I really noticed the speed above 30 mph, kinda scarey. They really gripped in the corners, the wider tire and lower tpi really helped corning grip.
I recommend the Slicks for training, group rides and racing if you don't want to go with tubulars.
Climbs are faster above 10 mph and easier to sustain climbing speed. Just get out of the saddle and it keeps rolling, with less energy.
I noticed a little wear on the rear after the first ride, we shall see only have 3 rides on them so far

Favorite Ride:   Palos Verdes Penninsula along the coast