Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 Slick Tires - Clincher

Mount up a set of Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 Slick Clincher Tires and ride with corner-gripping traction, speed-enhancing low rolling resistance, and comfort-boosting suppleness.

Submitted by Wayne Nagata a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2015

Strengths:    Speed, speed, yeah man! I am comparing these to the Rubino Pro 3 tire. I rode the Pro 3 for over a year, finally started to square off the rears, good tires but nothing remarkable about them. The Slicks had supple rubber, grips on corners. They were very easy to install, I installed them with no levers; 0 These are the 150 tpi slick tire. acceleration under full power can easily be felt. also climbing felt faster.
Prices was what suck me in. I got them at $27 each.

Weaknesses:    low speed from rest to 10 mph but equal to my Rubino Pro 3s. So to be picky the low speed from standing still to 10 mph felt the same on both the Rubino Pro 3s and the Rubino Pro 3 slicks. But that is not to shabby anyways. I notice that the rears were wearing a little on the first ride. We shall see after a couple of months.

Bottom Line:
I am coming from Rubino Pro 3 to the Rubino Pro 3 slicks 120 tpi. I rode the Pro 3s for a long time. These are the 25mm tires, pumped to 90 psi. I read a article about lowering the psi. Rolling resistance did not drop off, I can roll over man hole covers w/o going air born and soaked up the bad roads in my area. The Slicks are much faster, from 10 mph up. You can feel to punch out of the saddle. Mid speed cruise for me is 15/16 mph and it felt effortless. Well anyway, I used less energy to keep cruise pace. They really take off on the down hills, the also flicks quicker but did not feel unstable. I didn't notice the speed on down hills. in comparison on the old Rubinos I really noticed the speed above 30 mph, kinda scarey. They really gripped in the corners, the wider tire and lower tpi really helped corning grip.
I recommend the Slicks for training, group rides and racing if you don't want to go with tubulars.
Climbs are faster above 10 mph and easier to sustain climbing speed. Just get out of the saddle and it keeps rolling, with less energy.
I noticed a little wear on the rear after the first ride, we shall see only have 3 rides on them so far

Favorite Ride:   Palos Verdes Penninsula along the coast

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Vitoria Rubino Pro 3 clincher and Continental 4000s

Bike Setup:   '10 Wilier Izoard, Shimano Ultegra deraileurs, shifters, and brakes. wt 16 lbs. FSA K Force carbon, crank, seat post, stem, K wing carbon bars. Vuelta super light wheels. Feels like a new bike, I finally got a full tune up, and installed the Slicks. I love it