Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick Tires - Clincher

3.6/5 (30 Reviews)

The Vittoria Rubino Pro tire line- up is well known within the cycling community. The Rubino Pro Slick tire has a slick tread pattern ideal for riding on dry roads. The Rubino Pro Slick shares many features as the Zaffiro Pro tire including...

Submitted by ziconater

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    Very comfortable (in size 25c), grips well, seems durable, fairly light

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I felt the need to post a review on these tires since some of the previous reviewers either had defective ones, or were not using the current Rubino Pro III. Basically, the new version uses a 150tpi (threads per inch) count which makes them very supple and smooth. I'm finding them more comfortable than the Michelin Pro Race 4's that I just replaced, and also more durable. I would say that the Michelin's were better in acceleration, but the Vittoria's are more compliant and seem longer lasting.
Here's the strange thing... Even though I found the Michelins to be more responsive, I am consistently faster on all my hill climbs with the Rubino Pro III. I have no idea why, especially since these are just as heavy as the PR4's, so I'll just just say they must have put a little magic in there :-) Anyways, these are great tires at an even better price.

Submitted by G3orgig

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2012

Strengths:    They are quite cheap, red color looks good.

Weaknesses:    On the average i had a flat tire every 100 Km. I am very unsatisfied and I don´t recomend these to anyone.

Bottom Line:
sorry for my english

Submitted by marquism1

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    They're readily available in 25c, reasonably durable, good value for the sale price at Performance, pretty light.

Weaknesses:    Not the toughest sidewalls - I've lost a couple to small rocks that have squished against the sidewall and gouged a chunk. No blowouts, but enough damage to have to replace the tire. A Gatorskin would have survived, but they're heavier, more expensive, and don't roll nearly as well.

Bottom Line:
I like a 25 width for one of my bikes. I used to be able to get Vredestein Fortezzas Tricomps in 25c, but those are now scarce in shops and they're really expensive. Took a flyer at Performance a few years ago and have been really happy since. The tread wears really well. The ride quality isn't as nice a Fortezza Tricomp, but it isn't too far off. Nice tire for the sale price. I like 'em and will keep using them as my go-to 25c tire.

Favorite Ride:   Wind at back

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Pretty much every tire

Submitted by Erik a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2012

Strengths:    Long lasting, rolls smooth and fast, corners decent, good flat protection. PRICE.

Weaknesses:    Slick, so not great in rain or wet, equally not great in extreme heat when pushed hard in corners. (But then what is?)

Bottom Line:
In the middle of Summer 2011, the Turbo Pros that came stock on my new Specialized Tarmac began to fall apart, but at the time money was tight. I went to Performance thinking I would get a tire on sale that would last 1K miles or so, enough to get me past a planned double century around Lake Tahoe.

The Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick was on sale for $24.99, so I thought, “Could a tire this cheap really last 1K miles”. Well, it was in my price range, so I decided to try it out.

The tire felt pretty good. It didn’t corner quite as well as the Specialized Turbo Pro, but I expected that. It did feel better than I thought it would, and it rolled wonderfully.

It did have an immediate draw back I noticed right away. First off, it’s a slick tire. As in, it’s slick. Bald. Smooth. Not meant for wet rides or rain. That should be obvious by it being called a “Slick” in the first place, but reading other reviews here, maybe not so much.

However, it gets nearly the same reaction when the pavement is hot hot hot. Descending form Henry Coe Park in 95+ degree heat, I could feel the back tire sliding just a bit when I really dug into a corner. Not to the point of danger, but enough to put my mind on it. Of course, that was also when it was brand spankin’ new, so it could be that it needed a couple hundred miles in it to settle it in. And the pavement was probably 120+ that day, so I’m not sure any tire would really stick to it without movement.

I was also worried that a cheap tire would give me lots of flats. Not so much. No more than the Turbo Pros over 2K miles, or my old Hutchinson Fusion 2’s over 2-3K miles.

When I bought this tire, I figured it would last 500-1K miles and need to be replaced. Well, yesterday’s century put it over 3,200. And it still felt like new, cornered the same, rolled the same, and the flat resistance was very consistent between new and old. Over the life of the tire, I had 8 flats. 3 in the front, 5 in the back. Over 3,200 miles. Not perfect, but definitely good, and MUCH better than expected from a $25 tire from Performance.

I’ll be honest, it looks like crap right now. After yesterday’s ride, some beads are starting to appear through the rubber, and there are cuts and scrapes all over it. Even with that damage and it falling apart, I still have not had a flat since Feb 11, and that is the only one so far this year.

If you’re on a budget and are looking for a tire that performs “pretty good” and has “pretty good” flat resistance look no further, ESPECIALLY if you happen to find it for $25 again. (It’s $35 right now)

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Fusion 2, Fusion 2 Kevlar, Specialized Turbo Pro, Michelin Lithion, Forte p.o.s.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac SL3

Submitted by Harry a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2011

Strengths:    cornering grip, puncture resistance, feel

Weaknesses:    none... these are a performance tire so short life is expected; starting to square off the rear tire.

Bottom Line:
excellent tire. mine are the 25c width. I use these on my scattante sc-r scandium road bike with dt swiss R1900 wheels and think they are supple in feel, excellent grip, roll quite well and are comfortable. no flats in the past 750 miles. lots of little cuts all over as they are a soft compound. I also have tubular wheels and a disc on my TT bike which i ride at 140/145 psi and yes, that bike rolls out insane, but the vittoria rubino pro slick clinchers are killer in all respects. I also have some conti gatorskins; the feel is terrible. although i do like conti tires. I am going to get some vittoria paves for the winter rides and commute as i think the slicks are best for fair weather; when it comes to the twisties anyway.
peace in san diego

Favorite Ride:   to cabrillo monument

Purchased At:   performace bike san

Similar Products Used:   continental gatorskin, conti. sprinter tubular, conti attack/force clincher set.

Bike Setup:   scattante sc-r scandium, dt swiss R1900, deda newton, 3T, compact crankset, ultegra, ism saddles, reynolds ouzo pro fork

Rubino Pro 3 Slick VS. Regular Pro 3

I wanted to know from someone who's owned both the Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 Slicks and the regular Pro 3s how they compare to each other. I've always enjoyed the regular Pro 3 because it's durable, rolls well, and has good flat protection. I'm curious, though, to know if the Slick version offers any di ... Read More »

Tire suggestions, similar to Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick

Hi all, I've only really ridden on one type of tire, 23mm Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick. I've gone through 5 so far and I am getting around 1800mi out of the rear tire. What are some other good choices which are about the same quality and price. If anything I'd like to get a little more tire lif ... Read More »

Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick Tires

Thinking of trying these tires out. Anybody have Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick Tires? And what your thoughts? Jenson USA 27.99 thinking its a good priceRead More »

vittoria rubino pro slick vs michelin pro2 race

I was thinking of getting one of these two tires. What are the differences between these two tires. I dont race I want a good durable tireRead More »

V. Rubino Pro vs. Rubino Slick

Ready to move on from my worn out OEM Ultra Sports and from reading around I've whittled my tire selection to the Rubino Pro vs. Rubino Slick tires. The way the reviews read on my OEM tires I will probably be happy with just about anything I replace them with. I digress... As near as I can te ... Read More »