Vittoria Zaffiro Tires - Clincher

3.07/5 (14 Reviews)

The Zaffiro is an affordable training tire that delivers many high-end features. It contains Vittoria's Dot C.O.M. dot Computer Optimized Measure concept which allows for calibration of the size of the tread dots according to their position on the tr

Submitted by Greg Boyd a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap, good grip, corner well. Predictable

Weaknesses:    Puncture very easily. Have a little over 1000 miles on them and have had numerous flats from small thorns and shards of glass. Rear tire already has a whole from some small sharp pebble I rolled over. When they are not flat they are wonderful, that being said, they do not inspire confidence or peace of mind.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for training on smooth and well maintained roads. Cheap cost not worth the headache of fixing flats.

Submitted by christ a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap as hell, good durability, awesome grip in wet, still pretty solid dry (very predictable in hard cornering). Wide range of tire pressures to experiment with (runs 100-145psi).

Weaknesses:    Somewhat sluggish roll speed, but hell it's not a race tire.

Bottom Line:
As a fixed gear rider, this is quite simply one of the best value-to-performance riding tires out there. For such a low price you get a tire that wears pretty decently, skids very smooth and predictably, and still grips well afterwards. I would also add that the tire remains more round than most tires after countless skids. Rode a set all season, and given that I've taken both tires to bare threads without any puctures, I'd also say they've been very durable.

Favorite Ride:   fast traffic

Purchased At:   urbane cyclist

Similar Products Used:   CST Comps, Conti Gatorskinz, Soma Everwears, Michelin Lithions

Bike Setup:   Brakeless fixed.

Submitted by Matt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    - Cheap
- Roll Well

Weaknesses:    - Punctures
- Durability
- Wet-weather grip

Bottom Line:
I've just hit 1000 miles on the Zaffiros with many punctures both front and back. The soft rubber compound allows an alarming amount of small stones and glass to cut through and there isn't much stopping them from getting to the inner tube. After 1000 miles, there are many holes and cuts in the tires, and the back tire needs replacing already because I can see the inner tube bulging through a hole.

Cheap, but perhaps something slighter better may save money in the long run. I certainly don't want to be replacing training tires every 1000 miles and fixing punctures every 200.

Submitted by Vipul a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, easy to mount, cheap & affordable

Weaknesses:    Limited color choices

Bottom Line:
I've had these tyres for about 7 months now and these have been fantastic so far. Not a single flat and have done 5000km on them. That's right! Not a single flat, even I am amazed. I had Continental Ultra sport tyres before these and they didn't last as long as these did.
The Zaffiro's are still going strong and am amazed by the grip in the wet. I've been in some heavy rain and was concerned about taking corners but turns out these do provide reasonable grip in the wet.
They're easy to mount, durable and are pretty strong.

Purchased At:   Probikekit

Similar Products Used:   Continental ultra sport

Bike Setup:   Progear G-2

Submitted by sigmabannysigma a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2011

Strengths:    Decent comfort.

Easy to mount.

Good grip.

Long wearing but not as much as the originals.

Weaknesses:    They're NOT tough - just average punture resistance.

Not as puncture resistant as the original Zaffiro 26 TPI folding bead.

Could be a little cheaper. The price increased but the puncture resistance dropped a lot. The slight improvement in comfort is NOT enough to justify the cost.

Bottom Line:
Almost 3 thousand miles (I rotate about every 600 miles). One puncture flat early and now I use tuffy liners.. no flat since then... These Zaffiro Pro 2's (60 TPI)are NOT as puncture resistant as the original Zaffiro (26 TPI) folding bead, however they are a little more smooth. They're basically a watered down and less expensive version of Rubino Pro 2's.
I do not notice any more improvement in speed or grip with the Zaffiro Pro 2's over the original Zaffiro's. I only notice they are a little more comfortable but LESS puncture resistant. They're just another tire with AVERAGE puncture resistance like the many other tires on the market.
They are easy to mount like the originals. The prices on Zaffiro Pro 2's went up in price but Michelin Lithion 2's (another decent trainer) might be a little cheaper.

From looking at the tires, it seems I can get at least another 3 thousand miles on both tires as I continue to rotate them.

The original Zaffiro folding bead was the best training, long wearing and puncture resistant tire for the money(and perhaps ANY money). It's a shame they are no longer offered. Leave it up to a corporation to ruin something that was already perfected for its intended purpose.

Read my previous review on the original Zaffiro's in the Zaffiro Pro Folding review.

Favorite Ride:   Your Momma

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list.

Vittoria Zaffiro worth trying?

My LBS while servicing my bike's wheels noticed a bulge in the rear tire, a Pasela TG. I bought the only 700x28c tire he had on hand, a Vittoria Zaffiro. This is their most basic Zaffiro, 26 TPI with a wire bead. I like the Paselas quite a bit. Aesthetically the new tire is not a match since it ... Read More »

Vittoria Zaffiro Trainer Tire - Should I Bother?

Hello: I searched for this subject, but did not have any luck. If this is a repeat, I apologize. I am new to cycling, and plan on using a Blackburn Mag 3 I picked up from CL this winter for indoor training. I will be using my mountain bike, as I have not been able to procure a road bike as of ... Read More »

Vittoria Zaffiro Pro ?????

Anyone on the forum using these?. I'm looking to get some 25s, but I hear they are tight on the rims. I would be using them on Mavic OPs.Read More »

Vittoria Zaffiro vs Rubino

I can't decide between the vittoria zaffiro's slick/nonslick or rubino's. What tire would you recommend for riding around town in terms of durability, comfort, mileage, grip, etc? Your input is greatly appreciated, thank you!Read More »

Zaffiro Pro 60 tpi & Campagnolo Khamsin - nightmare

I'm having difficulty changing Campagnolo Khamsin with Zaffiro Pro 60 tpi . I've read other posts related to the difficulty of changing tires Campagnolo wheels. I like the wheels and I just need some advice on changing technique. The only way I can get the tire on is to use a Pedro lever and I've ... Read More »