Vredestein Fortezza SE Tires - Clincher

4.38/5 (13 Reviews)

For competition and all around use on dry roads, Vredestein's Fortezza DuoComp clincher is a great choice. It balances weight, durability, ride...

Submitted by philipaparker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Strengths:    Good wear, cornering and grip on dry pavement.

Weaknesses:    Skid and lose their grip on wet payment.

Bottom Line:
Bought these tires after reading the reviews here and they didn't disappoint. They are black with blue sidewalls and match my bike. Two things pretty flat resistant, I ride and San Francisco and there's lots of glass and road debris and I haven't had a flat yet, vs having a flat everytime I rode with the stock tires that came on my Trek Madone. The tires are a little hard and they tend to skid a little on wet payment, but hold well and corner really well on dry pavement. Overall I have been pleased with the purchase.

Favorite Ride:   Over the Golden Gate

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Continental gatorskin, very good similar ride.
Bontrager Race Lite, flats easily, smoother ride.

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone 4.7, Sram Rival.

Submitted by Bobshere a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've been using Fortezza SE tires for a number of years. They are way cheaper (I've gotten them for as little as $18 on sale with a team discount in quantity) than the Michelin Axial Pro's I had used in the past and last much longer. As the front tire hardly wears I don't rotate. I do keep an eye on the front tire. If it "squared off" or is on the bike for way long (15,000+ miles or five years, etc.) I'd take it off and use it as a rear tire. You want a good reliable tire on the front for safety. As for rear tires, I have used 3 indicators: a) if I start getting lots of flats ("Three in a row and out" is an old maxim) I'll ditch a worn looking tire even if it otherwise looks like I could get a few more miles out of it; b) if I see casing showing I replace it immediately; c) if the tread is squared off rather than rounded I'll often get rid of it. This is because I don't want to try getting the last mile out of a tire and chance a long walk. Also, I find that a nice new tire rides so much nicer than a squared off tire at the end of its life that I'm willing to let it go before fabric shows. Using this system I get 2,500 - 3,000 miles on these tires (I don't ride in the rain and don't skid stop), probably more like 4,000 if you figure in mileage/wear on both front and rear tires.

Bob

Submitted by Jason1500 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Strengths:    At least 1000miles and no flats!!

Weaknesses:    none from my perspective

Bottom Line:
This is my second season riding these tires and I couldn't be happier. Previously I've had Bontrager selects which flatted on my very first ride and then Bontrager Race lite tires which also was puncture prone. I have probably about 1000miles on these tires and never gotten a flat yet!! My experience as far as tire characteristics are very limited all I can say about that is they feel faster then the two bontrager tires I mentioned and I feel comfortable putting them on edge around a corner.

Favorite Ride:   20 miles out and back look

Purchased At:   performance bikes

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Select
Bontrager Race lite

Bike Setup:   2006/2007 Trek 1500 Discovery Colors
9spd 105 Derailleurs, Ultgra 6500 octalink crank, Forte Titan wheelset, specialized toupe team saddle.

Submitted by dmar836 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    spongy sidewall

Bottom Line:
I do over 3000 miles a yr and typically on Conti Attack/Force. Rear was worn so I put this on. It was as new set in black from a "collector" bike I had bought. I used only the rear tire and it was the mushiest ride I have ever felt. I kept looking to see if my frame was broken or if the rear was flat. It wallowed and I could hardly track at over 25 mph. Scary. I hope they are better perhaps on stronger wheels as they appear to be a nice compromise. Also, being black, maybe they are an older version.

Favorite Ride:   Rollers

Purchased At:   Came on another bike

Similar Products Used:   Panaracers, Conti GP Attack/Force, and a multitude of others on my vintage bikes.

Bike Setup:   Alloy frame, full carbon fork, Sram Force.

Submitted by Double D a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2009

Strengths:    wear & tear
puncture resistance
rolling resistance
color options

Weaknesses:    thinking this tire was one-dimensional. It is not.

Bottom Line:
I bought these tires as a racing tire years ago. With commitments and (relative <40) old age, they have become mostly commuting tires. Overall I have been extremely impressed with their sensitivity and resilience. For example, I've ridden on a pair for over almost year, daily commuting and training in DC. Glass, random metal, and terrible roads are standard here - not to mention the almost routine dual-break layout to avoid idiot pedestrians.

I've had only one flat - replaced the tube and its given me a couple more months of service (so far).

It (and its parent) raced well, now it is a great and fast commuter. Overall, very high marks.

Favorite Ride:   there are many