Vredestein Fortezza TriComp Tires - Clincher

4.05/5 (103 Reviews)

• Store Price

Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comp Folding Tire: Same exclusive casing as the TriComp, but with a softer, single-compound tread

Submitted by Chris

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2013

Strengths:    -Great Cornering ability
-Strong sidewalls
-Fast

Weaknesses:    -none

Bottom Line:
I've got a set of these matched to Mavic Ksyrium SR wheels. Its a match made in heaven. high speed cornering is super stable. The also are quite durable; Aside from the white paint the tread is good as new after 1,000 miles. The grip very well in rain and on oily roads. I would definitely purcahse another pair as a year round training tire.

Submitted by ABC a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2013

Strengths:    Cost

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I've used a couple of sets of these and they are decent...for what you pay, so a 4 value rating is appropriate. However, I would give them a 3 1/2 overall rating if I could.

Sure, You'll find many other tires that are better, but you'll also pay a lot more. These tires can be had from places like Probikekit, Ribble and Wiggle at about half the MSRP. All of these companies usually ship to the USA for free or at a very nominal cost.

As for durability, they have gone 2k to 3k for ME (165 lbs. average). I think what's lost in tire ratings is the fact that no one factors in their weight. Just like a car (Continental and Michelin do make car tires after all), weight, to a large extent, determines how long your tires last. I have found that at 2k the crown (roundness) is pretty much gone and at 3k, well I'm pushing it with thread showing. I tend to get more wear on one side of the tire and since these are NOT directional tires (like the 4000's), I can flip them, which helps me get more out of them, otherwise they'd be toast at around 1.5k .

Performance is good initially, as it is with most tires, but it drops off once the crown starts to wear, which is no surprise really.

Favorite Ride:   any climb

Purchased At:   PBK,Wiggle,Ribble

Bike Setup:   CAAD9

Submitted by Ryan

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2012

Strengths:    Durability, supple ride quality, east to mount

Weaknesses:    Not the least expensive tire out there, but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding these for about 1200 miles so far on various quality roads and conditions. I'm 180lbs and run them at 130psi on an Al frame (with carbon forks) and the ride quality is a noticeable upgrade over my previous Vittoria Zaffiro Pros. Ride quality is soft, supple, quiet and fast. My only flat to-date was a tube failure at the valve stem completely unrelated to the tire. Any undue wear to the rear tire has been caused by me being too lazy to rotate or swap tires on my trainer whereas the front still looks practically brand new. I will buy these again and again.

Submitted by viggo

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2012

Strengths:    Goes on and on...indestructable
Light weight

Weaknesses:    I've read that their traction is not optimal in wet weather. I haven't experienced that yet, but Canadian winter will give me plenty of opportunities for further testing

Bottom Line:
I bought a 1987 Bianchi road bike off of Craigslist several months ago. The owner is a collector, so in this bike's life, the tires were only changed once. He put a Continental Grand Prix 4000 on the front and a Vredestein Tricomp on the rear.

The Vredestein is still in excellent conditioin. The Conti had to be replaced, despite being on the fron wheel, which gets less load. The tire's threads and fabric were showing all around the rim. In other places along the sidewall, the rubber was so thin, you could feel the threading of the fabric underneath.

Submitted by The Chez a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap(er), high pressure, rolls well

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I would say these tires are neither good nor bad. I would put them right in the middle. I bought them hoping to find something more durable than the Open Corsa Evo II tyres and cheaper than them and the 4000s. Well, they were cheaper. As for durability? I would say nay. They lasted about 1400 miles, just a few hundred more than the Open Corsas. They roll well, hold incredible amounts of air and corner predictably. I wouldn't say they hold a corner better than the Vittorias though. They certainly handle better than my old Michelin Open Pro 2's. They are pretty much in the middle. Not the best, not the worst.
They did a great job until the end of not allowing anything to puncture. After that, it was game over. Not as bad as the Vittorias or Michelins but probably not as strong as Contis.
Would I use them as a race tyre? Probably not? A training tire? Maybe. Would I buy again? Probably not. I'm sure there's better things out there. I'll keep trying something until it meets durability and price standards. I'll let you know when I get there.

Favorite Ride:   The one under my tyres

Purchased At:   Biketiresdirect

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Open Pro 2, Vittoria Open Corsa Evo II CX, Hutchinson Atom

Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp tires..Any used value?

I just bought myself a road bike, and I am a Clyde. The bike I bought has theses tires on it, and they are gray in color. After doing some research, I found that at my weight (245), I really need to be on something like a 25. These Tricomps are 23C. By the way, what does the C mean behind 700? ... Read More »

10/23 Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp tires, $38.99 til midnight

WesternBikeWorks Deal of the Day, til midnight 10/23 Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps tires, $38.99 MSRP $70 Oh, and Free Shipping over $75...which two of the tires just puts you over. These tires come highly recommended by many people, thought I'd try them out...ran into the deal, after I mis ... Read More »

Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp Tire

Anyone use these tires? Any advantage to using a clincher @ 175 psi? General thoughts?Read More »

Having a hard time finding Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp

I need 25's in black or grey. Wonder what the deal is with Vredestein?Read More »

Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp 700x25 on sale at Nashbar

In case anyone is interested, Nashbar has the yellow Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp 700x25 tires on sale right now for $24.99, and the reds are on sale for $29.99. Killer deal! I ordered the reds early this week, and they just arrived. Later, Jay B.Read More »