Panaracer Cinder-X Tires - Cyclocross Clinchers

• width: 35c

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by burglariousdave a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2010

Strengths:    great grip
    a REAL 35mm (unlike Maxxis)
    does fine in all conditions

Weaknesses:    none. I've ridden "faster" and lighter tires, and I the Cinders don't feel sluggish to me in comparison.

Bottom Line:
    So far, so good, for this tire. I'm new to 'cross but this tire satisfies my demand for a tire with great grip that is sure-footed, has decent volume, and is fairly flat-resistant.
    This tire has worked in all conditions. I'll take a hassle-free tire over a "fast" tire any day, personally. If you can only have one pair of CX tires and you need clinchers, these should do the trick.

Favorite Ride:   David 'Cross

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Cross Blaster (too many flats, too thin in mud)
    Maxxis Larsen Mimo (not a proper 35mm, less bite)

Bike Setup:   SS Kona Jake the Snake with Ksyrium Elites (a little bit narrow).

Submitted by haikalah a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2008

Strengths:    Traction. Price. Relatively lightweight.

Weaknesses:    With only about 260 miles, about 1/3 or less on pavement, center nobs are worn down about 1/3. Thus, they seem to wear quickly (the flip side of good traction). Not best for pavement or dry smooth conditions.

Bottom Line:
    My first season of cross so I cannot make great comparisons with other tires, but I never had problems with traction and was competitive in the Cat 4 races. Had two races with mud bogs, and they handled and shed mud fine. Work great in grass. On pavement, the center nobs make for rough ride and I'd guess high rolling resistance. I have no reason to try Mud2 or others.

I'm tempted to rate these a 5, but since my experience is limited, I'll go with a 4.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere