Panaracer Cross Blaster Tires - Cyclocross Clinchers

The Panaracer Cross Blaster features a Zero Slip Grip tread compound and widely spaced aggressive lugs that dig in and shed mud. 280 grams 35-70 PSI...

Submitted by burglariousdave a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2010

Strengths:    fast, great cornering, great grip,
Excellent dirt road tire. Makes me want to set up my CX bike as a dirt-roadbike during the summer to check out the rides I'm wary of taking my road bike on.

Weaknesses:    -major pinch flat danger at anything less than 50psi (i.e. any reasonable CX tire pressure)
-very thin casing is subject to puncture flats
-even though it's a good mud tread pattern, they're bad in mud because they are too thin and sink in.
-31 is just too small for me on most CX courses
-fairly quick-wearing (then again, what do you expect from something so light and grippy?)
-too specialized. Get a CX tire that works in all conditions, I say

Bottom Line:
This was my first cross season and I learned many things. One of which is this: If you can only have one pair of CX tires, these are a poor choice. While these tires fly on hardpack and dig in hard while cornering, they also flat very easily (as everyone said here AND MTBR), and if you're in deep mud, they sink right in like road tires.
Here's an example: The very first CX race I ever did, I went off in a field of 30 or so, went all the way left on a gravel road to pass for a decent position going into the first turns, and BAM, I pinch-flatted on a measly ~1.5 inch rock. Bummer.
Since then, I've moved to the cross-blaster's big brother, the cinder, and what it lacks in "rolling resistance" (which is more or less imperceptible to me), it more than makes up for in durability(less puncture flats), volume (less pinch-flats), and sure-footedness due to its larger size.
Unless you race CX on dry hardpack with no corners or roots to ride over, or you like racing at 50+ psi to avoid pinching, get a bigger tire. It ain't worth it for the weight savings.
P.S. I've found a new life for these tires as a winter dirt-road tire on my fixie, and they're just about the best tire I could ever imagine for the job. So these tires have been well worth the money I paid for them, just not very well suited for their originally intended purpose...

Favorite Ride:   something new

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Larsen Mimo
Panaracer Cinder (my favorite, combining the good cornering and mud-shedding abilities of the cross blaster with more stability and MUCH BETTER flat resistance)

Bike Setup:   Kona Jake, SS with chain tensioner (waiting to get a non-spring tensioned "tensioner" a-la Soulcraft or Rennen), older Ksyrium Elite, flat bar, thinking about V brakes now that I have V levers (can you tell I'm an MTBer at heart?)

Submitted by bmolloy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2008

Strengths:    Great handling. Super low rolling resistance. Just the right size for a cross tire. No mud retention.

Weaknesses:    HORRIBLE puncture protection. I have only ridden the very same courses I have been riding on other tires on for over a year. I don't think it is only due to chance. In addition to the three flats I have had while riding, my cross bike is hanging in the garage with two flats right now. Slow leaks somewhere. Really frustrating.

Bottom Line:
Two Rides on these and three flats. I guess that really says it all. It is really too bad these do not have better puncture protection because I love the way they ride. They corner great, they roll really fast on hard and soft surfaces. They just really need a layer of puncture protection. I think it would be well worth the weight penalty. f it was not for the poor puncture protection I would give these 5 stars hands down.

Favorite Ride:   Fast Dirt/Grass Courses

Reynolds Ouzo Cross Forks
Reynolds Solitude Wheels

Submitted by bbagdan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2005

Strengths:    low weight, high cornering traction, low rolling resistance. you can trust these tires to keep you upright. the perfect racing tire. relatively inexpensive

Weaknesses:    none. well okay, they're only available in black.

Bottom Line:
great tires. lightweight, low rolling resistance, not too fat, not too narrow. perfect for all weather conditions. fairly good wear characteristics, but unsure because i use them only for racing.

Favorite Ride:   150k hilly

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   wcs, vittoria, vredestein

Bike Setup:   custom foco cross, ultegra/dura ace mix, WCS, USE, tektro mini v, suntour xc pro cranks! 18lbs

Submitted by Exum a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight, excellent grip, roll efficiently

Weaknesses:    wear quickly, flats

Bottom Line:
Best CX clincher I've tried yet. Corner like you're on pavement, especially on grass. Very low rolling resistance, very light (sub-300 grams). They wear quickly if you ride on pavement too much and flat a little more easily than Ritcheys, but I also found a lot of large glass shards on my CX course this season, so this could be justified

Favorite Ride:   many

Purchased At:   Colonel's Bikes, Ft.