Ritchey Speedmax Folding Tires - Cyclocross Clinchers

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

The Excavader is Ritchey's any time anywhere 'cross tire. The third generation VFA tread pattern rolls...

Submitted by Silas

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance
Great grip
Excellent wear
Good cornering
Fast!

Weaknesses:    Not so good in mud or really loose stuff.

Bottom Line:
I bought these for cheap and had very low expectations, but have been so happy with them I had to write a review. First of all, these roll really well. I now prefer them to my road tires because they feel smooth and are more versatile: I can do a fast paced ride to a trail and then ride the trail on the same tires.

Also, they grip and ride really well on hardpack, off camber and gravel. My intention was to use these only for training but I have also raced on them with excellent results.

Another review noted poor cornering but my experience has been excellent cornering, beyond that of many road tires I've ridden.

Their only weakness is mud, where they don't have much traction to speak of. The wire bead version is also a bit heavy, but the folding version is light and I fully intend to buy some when these wear out!

Submitted by Mtn2RoadConvert a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2011

Strengths:    Virtually no noticeable wear after about 500 miles. Easy to mount on Mavic Ksyrium wheels. Relatively light, weighed 355 grams on my scale.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Finished building a cyclocross bike and started training for the Fall race season. Have a set of Challenge Grifo tubulars on Easton EA70X for racing, but use the Speedmax Pros on Mavic Ksyrium SL3's for training. The tires are pretty impressive. I've been experimenting with different tire pressures. When training more on the pavement I have been running about 65 psi and drop down to around 50 psi when running most off-road. The tires do really well in gravel and loose dirt. Have not had a chance yet to try them in the mud other than a few puddles.

Favorite Ride:   Fire Roads/Trails

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Challenge Grifo XS open tubular

Bike Setup:   '10 Specialized Trcross Expert with Sram Rival components and Mavic Ksyrium wheelset.

Submitted by Dajianshan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    Great rolling resistance, good wear, versitile

Weaknesses:    wet pavement

Bottom Line:
I bought the Ritchey Speedmax Pro 32 for use on roads, rough pavement and dirty roads. These have great rolling resistance and take a lot of the bump out of bad roads. I am mighty impressed with their grip and wear.

Purchased At:   I forgot

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Cyclocross Jet

Bike Setup:   Salsa CX bike as a mixed conditions, endurance bike.

Submitted by David Belling a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth rolling on pavement for a cross tire. Very good on gravel roads. Very stable.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I have the 700x40 size. Non folding. Great tire. Bought these tires several years ago, but didn't use them because I didn't thing that they would work well on gravel roads. Thought that I needed more knobs. Boy was I wrong. These tires are wonderful for the combination of paved and gravel roads that I ride on. Far better than the knobbier tires that I was using before. Pretty smooth rolling on pavement and quite sure footed on gravel. It is the fact that they were better on gravel than the knobby tires that surprised me. Highly recommended.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Similar Products Used:   WTB and Kenda cross tires.

Bike Setup:   Airborne Carpe Diem cross bike with Ultegra drive.

Submitted by scattered73 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2008

Strengths:    Just about everything.

Weaknesses:    wet pavement and cornering.

Bottom Line:
Follow up, getting close to 5,000 on one tire 3,500-4,000 on the other and ridden in mixed conditions. They are awesome between all these miles I can count the # flats on one hand I have had overall. Virtually no tread wear so far.

Favorite Ride:   Goody dirty ride