Specialized Houffalize CX Tires - Cyclocross Clinchers

Inspired by the harsh racing environments of Belgium that are often rain-soaked and muddy, the Houffalize CX is designed for cyclo-cross racers who need a tire to traverse the toughest conditions. Its unique fast-rolling tread pattern cleans well and provides great traction in off-camber situations.

Submitted by alba831 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    These hold to the ground even in fast, off camber corners. They've increased my speed and confidence in some sketchy areas simply because they hold well. They also have this ridge that runs just below the tread on the sidewall. I didn't notice it at first, but after riding through sand sections and feeling like I was floating over the surface instead of digging into it as usual, I realized what it was there for.

These also seem durable. I haven't had any pinch flats (yet) despite really pushing it on some rocky/rooty sections. My teammate also ran these all last year and they still have plenty of tread on them.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy? Honestly that doesn't bother me as long as I can ride without worrying about flats. Also, I saw a $49.99 price tag on these, which isn't the best price for a cx tire. Better than a tubular, but not the cheapest clincher out there.

Bottom Line:
This is my first season of cyclocross after being a pure roadie for a number of years. I wanted to work on my bike handling skills and have some fun in the offseason. Unfortunately, my bike got stolen and I thought that was it. Luckily, I'm on a kick ass team and a teammate lent me his single speed Specialized Tricross with these tires on them.

These things are great. Our conditions are sandy, loose soil, hardpack, rooty, rocky, bumpy, some mud. These handle it all while sticking in the corners and feeling solid all around. They've got great bite. On a different pair of tires I was running 30 psi (I weight 155) and was still sliding all over the place, but I can run these at 40 and feel confident in their grip.

Favorite Ride:   Any local CX race!