Continental Competition 19 Tires - Tubular

2.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Insiders already know it. In 2005 the professional riders of T-Mobile, Saunier Duval, Phonak and...

Submitted by Ray Frederick

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2013

Strengths:    Have gone through 2 sets in two seasons. They have never once presented a problem. They seem to hold the corners very well and are a very good tire in wet conditions. Have to say they seem to be an excellent choice.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Will buy them again and again until they prove to me otherwise.

Submitted by Pak Phil a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Unreliable. Manufacturing defect prone.

Bottom Line:
The rumors are true. I'm out on a brand new 19mm at recommended pressure. I flat 15km into it. Upon futher inspection at home the fail was at the valve.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by starstevenson a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    for the first 28 minutes each tire handled the turns great. The black cloth looks sharp near the rim. Lightweight (are they too light weight??)

Weaknesses:    At this point, very poor customer service even when requested by my LBS (local bike shop) which is a MAJOR seller of Conti tires with a HUGE internet presence. The bike shop first opened in Cambria California and I presume sells a lot of units!

Bottom Line:
on only my 2nd race of just 30 minutes on a very clean corporate crit course that we race ever Tuesday night, I lost all air in my rear tire in a mater of seconds going 28mph in a 90 degree turn, no thorns, glass, cuts, punctures, no issues with mounting. No issues with teflon tape etc. The rear just suddenly stopped holding air, and could not even be pumped up. The LBS that had mounted the tire check the expensive tire over, replaced the valve core and even tried the recommended Victoria "Pit Stop" latex tire sealant that is recommended for use with high end tubulars, no luck. In the end they figured it was probably a factory reject with the valve stem being torn at the tube under the cloth. THEN, on my very next race on the same clean course on only the 3rd time these tires had touched pavement, my front started going soft and within one 1 mile lap lost all pressure with me sitting 2nd wheel on the final lap. I had won a usacycling weekend crit the weekend before!! When I took this second tire in to the shop, they were at a loss to keep pressure in it and so again the put Victoria "Pit Stop" in as a last ditch effort, only this time WOW their were very tiny air bubbles coming out of foot long sections between the threads in the new and untouched sidewalls!!! Conti, first refused the LBS's request to look them over and perhaps offer a warranty replacement and now at my own email request they offered to at least look them over. I can't wait for them to see them, see that even the smallest little tread they come with is new and intact and yet a serious hazard.

Similar Products Used:   Never used tubulars before but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the lightweight and durablity and pricepoint of the Kenda Kaliente and Kenda Kriterium tires!!! Can't say enough about them. Well under 200 grams with Iron Cloak flat protection, you can train thought the winter and race on them as well.

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Tarmac Pro SLT with HED Stinger 60s (wider rim)

Gary Fisher Superfly!!!

Fuji D-6 Triathlon (it arrive on a UFO)

Submitted by spokejunky a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Strengths:    Ride smooth when they're not failing.

Weaknesses:    Can't hold air, puncture proof is a major misnomer, no contact back from the company when I complained.

Bottom Line:
These tires would be great if they could stop from puncturing or failing at the valve stem. I've gone through four Competition tires in three months. All were mounted at the bike shop and all were only ridden in races at the suggested psi. I bought these since I ride Conti clinchers on my second set of wheels. Had no problem, but when it came time to ride tubulars. Wow, absolute failure in reliability.

Favorite Ride:   Bridge to Bridge

Purchased At:   BikeTiresDirect

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson, Vittoria, Ritchey.

Bike Setup:   CAAD8

Submitted by z ken a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2007

Strengths:    silky smooth
puncture proof
nice looking ( black with gold side logos )

Weaknesses:    not the lightest
expensive but it's race tire

Bottom Line:
it's very smooth and reliable tubulars tire. the best so far. it rolls nicely and pretty tought oo against some rough roads.