Continental Sprinter Sew-Up Tires - Tubular

Inheriting the best qualities of the highly popular Ultra GatorSkin road tire, namely the durable carbon black tread mixture, the effective puncture protection breaker layer and the DuraSkin? anti-cut fabric.

Submitted by chaz

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2016

Strengths:    Durability

Weaknesses:    tire hop too frequently

Bottom Line:
1 out of 10 of these have a hop at the stem that I could not fix, had to replace the tire and use it as a spare....conti sprinters are a "lumpy" tire and do not roll as well as the other top brands

Submitted by giverdada a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2012

Strengths:    relatively cheap, passable flat protection, decent ride quality, nice base tape, grippy cornering

Weaknesses:    not an Über-flat-proof tire, air loss overnight (even when new), questionable roundness

Bottom Line:
i got this tire as my first foray into tubular wheels and tires. i heard that gatorskins might ride more harshly, but would provide wicked good flat protection. maybe, maybe not. i don't know. the ride felt sublime regardless, as i had nothing to compare it to other than clinchers. as for flat protection, i'd say nay. not worth it. not much protection. i've been riding crap roads around the city since november, as we didn't have much winter, and the tire held up through most of it. no flats until this spring, a chunk of glass ended the dream. right in the middle of the tread. looking the thing over, it had a few cuts, but nothing that flatted it like this. pit stop didn't seal it; it still has a slow leak. fine for a spare, but i had to replace it. decent tire. fit alright but had a noticeable hop around the valve, maybe from manufacturing, maybe from my novice install. wicked grip and nice enough ride, but i was expecting something more indestructible than this. i ride continental clinchers, along with maxxis re-fuse and bontrager hard case. those are harsher rides, but i've never flatted either, over anything.

Similar Products Used:   continental sprinter, yellow jersey servizio corse

Bike Setup:   custom steel, campy 11-speed frankengroup

Submitted by mosinglespeeder a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    Roll out nice
Light weight
Very true

Weaknesses:    Constuction must be flawed in some lots

Bottom Line:
At first, these were some of the best tubulars I have had. I glued them up meticulously, they rolled out beautifully and performed better than I had hoped. These were race day only tires. Then, ~200 miles later, ~6mo later, the front began to crack, and impressively enough I showed a buddy and he said 'your not gonna race that?' and I did. But did have to get rid of them as the back one began doing the same. I called Conti and they want me to take them to the LBS and I hope they will stand by their product, but its expensive and my pay out as cat4 isn't enough to pay for tires every 200miles.

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria

Submitted by jonas a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Lasts 20 miles - very expensive per foot ridden

Bottom Line:
Junk tires, my rear blew out after 20 miles on smooth pavement for no apparent reason. Huge cut across entire tire surface. No foam could save that. That was a walking day I guess. Not getting any more of these for sure.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   Bike tires direct

Similar Products Used:   Vittorias, Michelins.....

Bike Setup:   Look 585, Chorus 10sp, Reynolds DV3K tubulars and these junker Conti Sprinters.

Submitted by jonjy998 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2010

Strengths:    good price
good grip

Weaknesses:    not the straightest tire when mounted due to cloth seam.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for the money. I have been riding on these tires for about 5 years. I have never had a flat. I can not honestly say how many miles these tires will last because I switch wheels often. I can say they are very puncture resistant, within reason. They hold air really well. Great training tire.
Not the fastest or lightest tire out there but again for the money they are great.

Favorite Ride:   PCH