Panaracer Practice Dual Dual TG Tires - Tubular

The tubular represent a step-up from the regular Practice. Lighter weight and dual compound make for better grip in adverse conditions and a faster rolling tire on race day.

Submitted by marct001 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Strengths:    Supple cotton case, very tough and fast. Kevlar antipuncture belting. High inflation pressures for a training tyre -at least 9 Bar max. (130psi) maybe more. Good for at least 1250miles before getting soft and puncturing. Would be much more for a light rider. Good value at $37.00U.S.

Should be at least as good as Conti Sprinters and might be in cool climate

Weaknesses:    Lower than expected milage but might be O.K for light rider without pack.

Punctures from 1250miles with heavey rider so must wipe tyres and miss all debri.

Tread delaminates off case and parts at dual compound joins, in hot tar conditions.

Not even close to Clement Pari-Roubaixs. Got 4000 miles from these and just wore them out.

Kevlar and butyl tubes deaden the ride, feel and speed of the tyre. Should be available with latex tubes for speed.

Bottom Line:
Panaracer Dual Tread Tour Guards 300gm Tubulars - sew-ups.

I am 198lb (90kg) and commute daily with a 20Lb pack.

I originally used Panaracer Practice 270gm and Race 230gm race tyres 27 years ago for road training and racing. These were Japanese made tyres of exceptional quality and we never experienced reliability issues even in very hot conditions. Pana's became unavailable in Australia and so I had to move on to other brands. So I chose Pana T.G's years later after using Clement Pari-Roubaixs for general commuting and being very impressed with the reliability, long milage and only one puncture during entire tyres life. But Clement stopped production so I had to find something new that was good value and would give me similar milage and reliability.

I found the Panarcaer T.G's on the web in U.S.A and thought I would try them having used years ago. I imported 6.

We ride in very hot conditions in many parts of Australia and so the Pana's were subjected to hot tar surfaces.

The 110 - 127tpi cotton cases are very good quality and very tough although quite supple with this fine weave. The Kevlar antipuncture belting is the real thing and very tough, while new the T.G's do not puncture. After around 2000km's (1250ML) with my weight they begin too once the tyre becomes soft. So it is essential to wipe both tyre with a gloved hand (just like we did years ago). I expected more of the Kevlar (which we did not have years ago).

The major problem though is the tread. With some it literaly delaminates and comes off the case from the hot tar conditions. I am told the Americans do not experience this problem as they ride in a cooler climate.n The heat appears to decompose the glue holding the tread on. This never happened to the Japanese made Pana's years ago.

Also the tread opens up at teh join between the dual compund sections, right along the join of the red and black or yellow and black compounds. this is very poor tread quality from these now Thailand made tyres.

In fairness I may have bought a bad batch and it might be worth trying some more, but I bought 6 and the results have been similar for all.

This never happened previously.

Favorite Ride:   Carbon Mosso capag Record 10sp

Purchased At:   Mackay QLD

Similar Products Used:   Clement P.R's, Tufo's, Conti's - Giro and Sprinter, BIS Ewivas, Michelin, Old Japanese made Pana's, SOYO's, Schwalbe Montello, Milano, Vitt. Pave's,

Bike Setup:   Full carbon Mosso, Campag Record 10sp group. Mavic R Sys tubular wheels, Zipp carbon bars and stem. Old H.Silv. Fiamme wheels on campag record hubs - very fast even now; faster than the Mavics!