Tufo C Elite Road Tires - Tubular

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

With increased puncture resistance, you can enjoy the feel of a tubular tire using your clincher wheels. With 440 tpi and a high percentage of activated silica, you'll experience minimum rolling resistance with great adhesion to the road. Tufo incorporates a beaded rubber band that "bites" the shoulder of the clincher rim.

Submitted by Tamer a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2007

Strengths:    high psi, low rolling resistance, no tools, easy to put on

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I have put over 1000 miles on Tufo clinchers special S33 tires, 700x21 in size, I have been very satisfied with them. Low rolling resistance saves your legs. I run 170psi on these tires and they fly, I have descented at 55 miles an hour many many times with complete confidence on these tires, I highly recommend it

Purchased At:   biketiresdirect

Similar Products Used:   Tufo C Elite Road 700x23

Submitted by Bob Nooney a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2007

Strengths:    See Above

Weaknesses:    After time the selant used as a preventitive can gum ip the valve stem. easy to unscrew and clean with solvent.

Bottom Line:
I love these tires! I have two pro level bikes,one with ssc's and a variety of top clinchers, the other with neutrons and tufo's. I have gone over 3000 miles on the front and made it to 2200 then got a cut that made me put on a new tire. Used with the sealant ahead of time I just do not get flats! The other bike I dusted off and rode for an hour and flatted from a tiny peice of glass in a $70 open tubular. Just ordered more to refit that bike with. Great feel, you can ride them flat if you have to and easy to mount. try them!

Favorite Ride:   West maui

Purchased At:   My store

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like them ( Yet)

Bike Setup:   Cippolini edtion specialized e-5 ,record/sscs' & a tricked out tarmac/ zg brakes, 07 record, neutrons, barmac adjustable

Submitted by Dr Pabst a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2007

Strengths:    - Fas, fast fast!
- Easy installation (If you follow the directions exactly)
-Blowouts are slow: You probably won't wreck if you get one.
-The Tufo sealant will hold enough air to get you home (at least with a bigger puncture like mine).I imagine it will do a beter job on small leaks.

Weaknesses:    - If you get a big puncture like mine, you'll need a new tire.

Bottom Line:
I've put about 800 miles on these in the past six weeks or so. Installation is relatively quick (<5 Min.) once you get the hang of it. Just make sure you follow the directions!

These tires are markedly faster than the tubulars I was using previously. My current floor pump will only inflate up to about 150 PSI, much less than the tires maximum 220. However, even at 150 PSI these tires are FAST, and a great upgrade for a triathelete or roadie. At 150 PSI i have found that I am still able to corner confidently. I am eager to try them at higher pressures, though.

I did have my first blow out this week, which actually occured after a ride, as I was walking my bike up the driveway. The tire did seal, but the sealant will only hold up to about 80 PSI, which is enough to get home on, but a little 'soft' for regular riding. The puncture was big (glass?) and right on the 'contact patch.' I just replaced that tire, and am back on the road.

My hope is that a blowout like this, which neccessitated the purchase of another complete tire, was just bad luck and not a product defect. Due to the speed of these tires, I will comtinue to train and race on them. At this point, I'm not willing to give them up because of one blowout in 800 miles. I will update this review if I have any further blowout issues.

Favorite Ride:   Cleveland Triathlon

Purchased At:   biketiresdirect.com

Bike Setup:   2005 Quintana Roo Tequilo tri bike W/ Shimano Ultegra/Dura Ace components

Submitted by eigenvector9 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2006

Strengths:    Better feel than any clinchers I've ever used. Higher psi creates a lower rolling resistance without sacrificing grip. Lively, responsive and a joy to ride.

Weaknesses:    None I've found so far.

Bottom Line:
I've only used these tires for approximately 200 miles but I'm so pleased with them, I thought I'd write a preliminary review. I'll update my post later when I have more experience using them.

These are far and away the best riding clincher tires I've ever used in my life. I ride them at about 145psi and they have a noticeably lower rolling resistance and a much more responsive/lively feel than any clinchers I've used. They grip the road with a very secure feel and instill a reassuring sense of confidence when bombing down a technical descent.

At $55 each, these tires aren't much more expensive than other high-end clinchers. At 315 grams, their weight is very competitive with other tires considering that no tubes or rim strips are needed.

So far, I'm overjoyed with my Tufo C Road Elites. I'm so pleased with them, I can't figure out why more companies haven't made similar tubular/clincher tires. PEZ cycling news turned me on to these tires and, I wish I had found them years ago.

Favorite Ride:   rolling hills

Purchased At:   biketiresdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   No one else makes a tire like these...right now, I can't figure out why.

Bike Setup:   2004 Fuji Provence, Campagnolo Centaur group, Centaur compact crank, Campagnolo Proton wheels.

Submitted by twm6932 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2005

Strengths:    Ease of mounting esp on OS rims - no tools, ride quality, can run flat, no rim tape needed

Weaknesses:    Flat protection, sealant effectiveness, need for valve extensions (requires tape and pliers), noise

Bottom Line:
I got about 50 miles out of my Tufo C Elite Road tubular clinchers before I flatted. They went down to ~60 psi before the sealant held, enough to rde home. Added more sealant (a pain with the valve extensions and tape you must use even with medium profile Campy Eurus rims I have). The tire seemed to hold 120 psi until about 5 miles into my next ride, at which point the puncture blew open again - spraying sealant all over my frame. After that more sealant wouldn't hold more than ~60 psi. I gave up getting a great tubular ride after that.

Overall, the ride quality with the TC's was very good, but not noticeably better than Mich Pro Race. The tires are also very gummy and throw a lot of gravel onto the underside of the down tube which makes some noise.

Maybe I had a freak puncture but I would rather install a new tube than deal with the messy sealant and valve extensions/tape.

Favorite Ride:   SCU