Tufo Elite Jet Hi-TPI Tires - Tubular

• Puncture proof ply
  • 440 tpi casing
  • Smooth lentil shaped crown
  • Herringbone shoulders
  • Extremely light and fast tire

Submitted by Jeff a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2009

Strengths:    Mass
Rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Puncture resistance (lack of)
High cost

Bottom Line:
I don't often review products due3 to the subjectivity of reviews but I do frequently read them. I am very particular about and generally easy on my equipment, but I felt obligated to review this tire given a geerally great track record for flats. I purchased two of these tires for a new set of Easton Tubulars. Tires arrived and I used Tufo extreme tape (super easy to use) to glue them on. I wanted to get a few miles on them before using them for an omnium (TT, Road Race, and Crit) that weekend. 5.5 miles into the tires, I flatted in two spots on the rear tire. Tufo sealant would not seal the cuts and kept spitting out. The next day I noticed a 12 foot long glass field that I could not see the day before due to the sun. The front tire survived that ride, 12 more "check-out" miles the next day, an 8 mile TT and 17 miles of a road race before flatting on a pebble during a climb. Expensive mistake but the tires are just too thin. I also learned post-flat that Bike Tires Direct has a $5 insurance option that cuts replacement tubulars to 50% and clinchers are free. Maybe a good option for super-light tires if you just need to have them. I swithed to teh Tufo S3 light and have put 100 miles on them so far with no issues. I am using the sealant as a preventative measure. All in all i would go with a heavier tire, even if it will be race specific.

Favorite Ride:   Any local climb

Purchased At:   Bike Tires DIrect

Similar Products Used:   Tufo S3 Lite

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone
Dura-Ace/Ultegra
Easton EC90 Aero Carbon Tubulars (Race only)
Look Keo Carbon Pedals

Submitted by kdg1965 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2006

Strengths:    ride, comfort, speed, wet and dry handling - absolutely the best TT or tri tire on the planet

Weaknesses:    maybe a little light and narrow for big riders

Bottom Line:
I've used these tires for road training, road racing and triathlons for approximately 2 years. They are simply the best riding tires made and they're hyper light at 160g. I would not use them though for everyday use unless you are less than 160lbs. Phenomenal wet and dry handling, incredible feel and comfort and super fast due to light weight, smooth tread and use of high psi. If you install using Tufo sealant, you will get considerable life and few if any flats (assuming decent roads with little debris). You must be willing to replace tire if it gets cut to the point that the sealant will only hold 60psi or so which means it can become expensive to use these tires. Nevertheless, the ride and performance are unmatched so I think the expense and effort to use tubulars is well worth it. Make sure you mount the tires with Tufo Extreme Tape.

Purchased At:   World Class Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Continental, Vittoria, Michelin, Hutchinson, etc.

Bike Setup:   I primarily use these tires with Topolino V39s and Ksyrium SLs for road riding and Zipp 404s and 999s for TTs and triathlons.