Tufo Elite Pulse Tires - Tubular

Watch personal records fall with Tufo's C Elite Pulse Tubular Clincher mounted on your bike. This incredible tire boasts Tufo's Tubular Clincher...

Submitted by PNB a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    Adhesion, puncture resistance.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Ok, I know this is not much of a revie, but I hope it will break the ice.
I got the Pulse in the C-verion for a stage race in the Alps. Normally I´d have used tubulars, but I was not sure about reglueing tyres in case of need. In the end i got s.o. carrying a 2nd wheelset for me and so the sace was closed.
With the C-Pulse I did just one test ride, 140km / 2300m elevation, part on small and less-than-clean hill roads.
Mounted on Fulcrum R3, presure 9/9,5bar front/back. Comfort is not my first concern but in this case it´s similar to Competitoins at the same pressure or clincher with 0,5-1 bar less, for me more than OK. I consider evaluating rolling resistance by feeling a joke, but for what I can say didn´t look bad at all.
Cornering was Ok and inspired confidence. I was also caught by a storm, but not during a descend, so I cannot say much about adhesion on wet ground.
Only issue, after some 30km I stop and check and I see a small piece of glass stuck in the rear tyre. I take it out and leave a small cave. No air loss at all despite i used non sealant.
I was quite concerned till a few weeks ago happened right the same with a Sprinter, which is sort of bomb-proof so I guess it´s OK. I filled the hole with neoprene glue.
Now that I have time I´d like to do some more ride and maybe get the "real" tubular version. I´d be interested to some RR measurements though.

P.S. Price in Euros.

Favorite Ride:   an hilly one, far fom trafic

Purchased At:   Online shop in Germa

Similar Products Used:   Different Conti tubulars (Competition, Sprinter, GP4000sr) and clincher GP4000s, occasionally Tufo Elite Ride 23 tubular (I´d like to try it out thoroughfully to, as soon as I get time/ a wheelset available)

Bike Setup:   Storck Vision Light equipped Campa Chorus.
Canyon F8 with Campa Chorus.