Tufo Pro S3 Tires - Tubular

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

The Tufo S33 Pro is the everyday training tire of the Tufo line. It's inexpensive yet it still has many of the same features of the racing models. This tire is sure to impress you with its superior ride quality. Size 700x21. Weight 260g. Inflates to 175

Submitted by jw25 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Strengths:    Light, mount easily, high inflation limit

Weaknesses:    Will flat if hit right, but what tire won't? Sealant doesn't guarantee a flat-free ride, and you can't repair them beyond that.
Ride quality wasn't the mythic magic carpet I've heard about, but was very good for 130 psi - better than a comparable clincher would have been.

Bottom Line:
Late last year, I picked up a set of Zipp 440 tubulars for TTs. They came with Conti Sprinters, but wanting to shave a little weight, and hoping for less rolling resistance, I mounted a set of Tufo S3 Pros. These use standard black carbon rubber, instead of silica, and come in under 200 grams for a 21mm width. They're also a bargain on Ebay.
I also added about 20 grams of sealant per tire, and mounted them with Tufo's regular tape, which is great. Mount tires in 5 minutes or less, and ride them right after. No mess, no fuss.
Yesterday, I was out for a training ride, and heard something zing off the road, followed by the dreaded "hiss" from my front wheel. I'd managed to gash the tire right at the sidewall/tread junction, and the sealant wasn't doing much to stop the leakage. I tried sloshing sealant over the punture, and holding my finger on the cut, but it kept hissing. The cut's in a "V" shape, and only a few mm's on each side, but apparently it was enough.
Around 30 psi, the hissing stopped, but I didn't feel comfortable riding at that low a pressure, and figured that adding air would just pop the cut open again.
Turns out, the Tufo tape is very tenacious - I needed a tire lever to start getting the tire up, and had to use it to pry enough off the rim to get a grip. No worries on rolling tires mounted with this stuff, but it took me 10 minutes to get the tire changed, and all the glue went with the old tire, so I rode back gingerly on an unglued Conti.
Being on my TT wheels, I only had a few hundred miles on these tires, at best, but I was overdue for a flat, so can't complain too heavily. Not sure whether to stick with Tufos or try some Conti Competitions for these, though.

Favorite Ride:   Black Mo

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Conti Sprinters, and a whole bunch of clinchers.

Bike Setup:   Dagger Aero frame, Zipp 440's.

Submitted by zxtremist a Triathlete from Greenville

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Strengths:    Great Wear, Go on Straight, Sealant is the cats meow

Weaknesses:    Flat easy without the sealant

Bottom Line:
These tires are trick, go on straight and true. Have had good wear. First time out, I only made it 4 miles before I flatted. Ok, I knew I should of used the Tufo sealant. Tried to save a few grams, cost me a walk. Tires now loaded with about 20 grams of sealant each and no more flats. I did see where it sealed one without me knowing it. Moral of the story boys and girls. if your going to run Tufos, get the sealant. Tufos dont have an inner tube so it's not very far through the casing.

Favorite Ride:   Big Vertcal

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   First tubulars, otherwise Michelin axial Pros and Continental GP's

Bike Setup:   2001 Litespeed Blade
Profile Carbon X Bars
Full Dura Ace
Nimble Crosswinds

Submitted by bigboneshaker a Road Racer from Milwaukee

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Strengths:    high pressure, durability (for track), mounting ease

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy for top competition

Bottom Line:
I use these tires for my backup track wheels and use them for spring training track events. With their relatively light weight and ability to handle very high pressure (220psi), they make an excellent budget track tire. If our home track (Kenosha) had a rougher surface I would use these as my primary tire. They are very fast and I would expect excellent wear. These wuold be a good choice for the larger rider. Tufo tires (or tyres) all seem to mount up with relative ease.

Submitted by c_t_smith a Road Racer from Golden

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    Light, fast, rides and corners well. Should be great on the track

Weaknesses:    thin/weak tread wears quickly and unpredictably.

Bottom Line:
I used these on my race wheels for time trials and the occasional crit and road race. I started out being very happy with them. They felt fast and cornered well on dry pavement (I never tried them in the rain.) However, I inspected the rear tire after the last triathlon I did and found significant wear all the way down to the cords in some sections. The tires were fine before the race, so I think that all the wear was from a breif skid as I was making a cyclocross style dismount going into T2. Given that experience, I'd only recommend these for the track. In my opionion, skids are too common in road, crit, and triathlon racing to trust these tires.

Similar Products Used:   Conti pro and sprinter

Submitted by Jim Cushing-murray a Road Racer from Del Mar CA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Strengths:    These are a great tire for the price. While designed for the track, many in Southern California use them on the road since the road surfaces are generally good. They go on straight and round. For the road, I add the 20 grams of leak sealant and you can stick safety pins in the tire all day and it won't go flat. I've used a pair on my road race/crit wheels for two years without a failure.

Weaknesses:    I don't think there are any.

Bottom Line:
There isn't anywhere you can buy a 190 gram, durable tire at this price and unlike many cheap tubulars, this tire goes on straight and round.

Favorite Ride:   Santa Monica mountains