Tufo S3 Lite Tires - Tubular

4.45/5 (20 Reviews)

Its one thing to make claims about a tire that cannot be objectively verified. But with their S3 Lite Tubular Tire, Tufo guarantees that each one will weigh less than 215 grams. Get a pair, and put them on the scale. Wed go so far as to make claims about ride quality and ease of installation.

Submitted by Richard

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, I like the green wear strip as an indicator.

Weaknesses:    Wish they were cheaper and changing take a while, due to cleaning glue, but that's all tubulars.

Bottom Line:
I've been running the S3 lite for years, and have only had one puncture so don't agree with the comments that they puncture easily, guess it depends on where you ride and how. Run them at 120 psi, only issue is having to use the valve extender, but that's due to my deep rims.

Submitted by timtak a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2011

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Not that cheap

Bottom Line:
The tyres came free with some carbon wheels that I bought as an upgrade for my carbon framed bike.

After about a month and 350 miles the back has a flat and, going to purchase another since I was happy with the smooth and grippy ride, I realise how light and high tech these tyres are.

A small sharp piece of ceramic penetrated the centre of the tyre.

I recommend keeping them pumped up hard (12bar?) to reduce the risk of things getting stuck in the rubber but really small and sharp things - glass and the like - are going to remain a problem. If you are riding on road, not pavement, then this sort of glass and other small sharp objects will probably have been picked up by car tyres. I think that my problem was partly that I was riding on a pavement - sidewalk - for part of my route.

I think that I may have allowed them to get a bit soft due to the fact that they did not come with valve extenders, the values did not protrude out of the carbon wheels and I had to use a screw-on-top valve extender which had a tendency to unscrew the inner part of the valve rather than itself upon removal. I strongly recommend extending the valve barrel with a normal tubular valve extender rather than using a screw-on-top valve extender.

I intend to purchase some more of these tyres and keep them pumped up hard this time.

Favorite Ride:   Yamaguchi to Aio

Purchased At:   Yahooo auctions japa

Similar Products Used:   None. Previously on clinchers

Bike Setup:   Assurri Primo Pro with 50mm rim carbon wheels

Submitted by JASON a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    Rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    not toothpick proof

Bottom Line:
i had these tires for exactly 63 miles. A total of 3 trips. I have already punctured 2 tires. I actually did more walking than riding basically. All punctures are at the center of the tread. I would figure it would be the thickest in that area, but i guess i was wrong.

Favorite Ride:   catskills

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   continental sprinters

Bike Setup:   Custom frame, campy chorus, easton ec90 carbon tubulars,

Submitted by skiezo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2009

Strengths:    Price, wear like iron.

Bottom Line:
Been running the 200 gram s3 lite as a front paired with a s33 rear for over 2000 miles and could not be happier with this combo. No flats in over a year and the tire still has lots of life left. Run at 120 psi they have good grip and roll nicely. At 150 psi they are a bit harsh.

Favorite Ride:   443 river to the gap

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   evo cx, sprinter250, bonti race

Bike Setup:   quattro saai SSS with 08 record 10. Zero Components 024 wheels.

Submitted by Quixote a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, compliant, responsive.

Weaknesses:    Delicate. Two flats in the span of 2 weeks on pretty clean roads is not good. I've put Slime in them just for added confidence and so far so good. My cheap Bontragers are still flat free after 6000km. In every other respect, except durability, these surpass the Race Lite clinchers.

Bottom Line:
These are the first tubulars I've used, and love 'em compared to the Bontrager Rate Lites I was using. Glued on, they are very responsive, and corner wonderfully. Smooth, smooth, smooth, on rough chip seal, but that might be the new Reynolds rims they are on, too.

Favorite Ride:   Rollyview

Bike Setup:   Lemond Tourmalet w/ Reynolds DV46UL wheels

Tufo S3 Lite vs Vittoria Corsa Evo

Dear wheel and tubie experts. Last cross season I built me a set of Dura Ace 7800/Mavic GP4 tubulars, set them up with Challenge Fango tubulars and rode them the full season. They are great and look cool. So now I am tempted to try tubulars on the road for standard training or group rides. I ... Read More »

Tufo S3 Lite's (215g) vs Continental Competitions

I'm getting down to the final choice on my tubular tires. The wheels are Nimble Fly and the application is mostly group rides and some races. Flat protection is crucial, yet I want as light as possible and good rolling resistance. It should be noted that my group rides are like races so I need all t ... Read More »