Tufo S3 Lite Tires - Tubular

4.43/5 (21 Reviews)

Its one thing to make claims about a tire that cannot be objectively verified. But with their S3 Lite Tubular Tire, Tufo guarantees that each one will weigh less than 215 grams. Get a pair, and put them on the scale. Wed go so far as to make claims about ride quality and ease of installation.

Submitted by Cristian a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2016

Strengths:    Light, quality

Bottom Line:
All of you have had puncture because it is a tubular tyre for TRACK not for road. Tufo made great tyres but it is necesary to use on proper manner.
For road it suitable Tufo S21-622 or hi composite instead s3.

Submitted by Richard

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, I like the green wear strip as an indicator.

Weaknesses:    Wish they were cheaper and changing take a while, due to cleaning glue, but that's all tubulars.

Bottom Line:
I've been running the S3 lite for years, and have only had one puncture so don't agree with the comments that they puncture easily, guess it depends on where you ride and how. Run them at 120 psi, only issue is having to use the valve extender, but that's due to my deep rims.

Submitted by timtak a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2011

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Not that cheap

Bottom Line:
The tyres came free with some carbon wheels that I bought as an upgrade for my carbon framed bike.

After about a month and 350 miles the back has a flat and, going to purchase another since I was happy with the smooth and grippy ride, I realise how light and high tech these tyres are.

A small sharp piece of ceramic penetrated the centre of the tyre.

I recommend keeping them pumped up hard (12bar?) to reduce the risk of things getting stuck in the rubber but really small and sharp things - glass and the like - are going to remain a problem. If you are riding on road, not pavement, then this sort of glass and other small sharp objects will probably have been picked up by car tyres. I think that my problem was partly that I was riding on a pavement - sidewalk - for part of my route.

I think that I may have allowed them to get a bit soft due to the fact that they did not come with valve extenders, the values did not protrude out of the carbon wheels and I had to use a screw-on-top valve extender which had a tendency to unscrew the inner part of the valve rather than itself upon removal. I strongly recommend extending the valve barrel with a normal tubular valve extender rather than using a screw-on-top valve extender.

I intend to purchase some more of these tyres and keep them pumped up hard this time.

Favorite Ride:   Yamaguchi to Aio

Purchased At:   Yahooo auctions japa

Similar Products Used:   None. Previously on clinchers

Bike Setup:   Assurri Primo Pro with 50mm rim carbon wheels

Submitted by JASON a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    Rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    not toothpick proof

Bottom Line:
i had these tires for exactly 63 miles. A total of 3 trips. I have already punctured 2 tires. I actually did more walking than riding basically. All punctures are at the center of the tread. I would figure it would be the thickest in that area, but i guess i was wrong.

Favorite Ride:   catskills