Tufo Special S33 Tires - Tubular

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

A very popular Tufo model designed for high mileage and excellent puncture resistance. Fine tread pattern contributes to low rolling resistance and great riding quality. Makes a great choice for road races and triathlons where road quality is a concern. A

Submitted by rize a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Strengths:    Easy installation, free online video instruction. No messy epoxy that has to dry for several hours. Reliable ride, good cornering. High PSI's for better road conditions. Relatively easy to fix flats with sealant.

Weaknesses:    Once tire is dismounted, can't be reused. It's a bit expensive but not in the ridicilous range.

Bottom Line:
I ride Phoenix city streets. Some sections can be rough, broken glass can be a problem. I use these for front & back, approaching 1000 miles. Had only one flats on the road which was fixed with Stan's Tire Sealant and CO2. The flat occurred at moving 18-20 mph but could stop without control issues. In 5 minutes was back on the road. The other flats were slow leaks from small punctures. Despite of several flats, I like the performance as a training tire. They're easy to install, except had to stretch them several times before mounting 700/21 rim wheel.I use 115 PSI on front and 120 PSI on rear. Czechs have this bike-tire technology figured out.

Favorite Ride:   any ride over 15 miles

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria

Bike Setup:   Guerciotti 1984 frame, Columbus SLX tubing, Campy Super Record group, Fizik saddle, Cinelli stem & bars. Ambrosio Durex rims

Submitted by balletdude a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Super flat resistant, they grip well in corners and last many miles.

Weaknesses:    They are a little expensive but for the amount of miles they last they're owrth it.
They look like they have a flat spot out of the box but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Bottom Line:
I usually don't post a review but these tires are great!
I decided to put them on my steel training/commuting bike to see if I liked training on tubulars. I got one free at a swap meet and I bought one new off of ebay and glued them up. I've put about 3,000 miles on the back and about 4,000 on the front. The rear is starting to wear down but seems to have a good amount of life left in it and the front looks pretty good.

The tread is a little flat on the top out of the box but it doesn't seem to affect cornering at all. I've done many many hills in the rain and they hang onto the road well, and when it's dry they really hang on! I even took them in snow once but anything more than 5 mph was scary.

I just had my second flat on them a few days ago, the first was in the rear after about 2,000 miles or so. I was able to ride home since it was only a slow leak, I pulled out the small piece of glass and put a little tufo sealant in and it pumped right up.
The other one was in the front, I noticed it getting soft and found a sharp thorn in the tire. I made it the 25 minutes home with plenty of air to ride on, put a bit of tufo sealant in and it held air just fine.

Favorite Ride:   The velodrome

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria training tubulars, and clinchers.

Bike Setup:   Centurion Dave scott ironman, superbe pro and campy mix components with phil wood bottom bracket.
wheels;
rear mavic champion du monde 36h to gipiemme hub
Front dura ace hub to mavic mach 2 cd 2 rim.

Submitted by John Stones a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome rollers. Stable. Handle well. Subjectively, rolls as well as my Vittoria Corsa EX tuby's.

Weaknesses:    A little rough. Takes a little time to get the "system." Probably easy to repair on the street if you have confidence that it'll work. Plan C is still a pain in the arse. Still have to carry a spare tire. Would be nice if you could trash the innards and use a tube for rescue.

Bottom Line:
I'm looking for a cheap way to get tuby performance from my clinchers, and God bless Tufo for trying something innoveative. Mounting was a little tough at first, but once you understand the system, it's not so bad. My thumbs did feel like I'd been climbing 11-d's all day the first time...Got them on, went for a ride. The first seven miles may have been the best of my life. A little rough, but rolled like a dream. Then the dreaded flat came! I elected to put my old clincher back on and roll back home. Hole seemed significant, so I rolled home to fix it. The fix: Tufo "glue/goo" worked well, but took a little while. The hole was pretty big, so a fair amount was oozing out. You are supposed to spin the wheel, so it will spray everywhere (including in my coffee). Put a small piece of tape over the hole before putting the glue in. Also, don't forget rim tape if you plan on using a std clincher as your rescue plan. Will review again after I get some more miles on.Will give high rating just for ride quality so far. If it continues to be frustrating to ride, will repost. But again, at least one company is trying innovative strategies to get the performance of a tubular with a clincher rim. Would give a prelim 5 if they hold air for a significant duration.

Favorite Ride:   Como Street

Purchased At:   Bike tires direct (g

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Corsa EX

Bike Setup:   Felt Fc/Dura Ace/Zipp's or Neuvations.

Submitted by skiezo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2009

Strengths:    Puncture resistance. Can run at higher psi but I run it at 110. Price

Weaknesses:    Not the best road feel but it is still going after 2000 miles.

Bottom Line:
After flatting on some higher priced tires I was looking for a rear tire that would last on my crappy roads.
Been riding this tire on the rear wheel for over 2000 mile with no issues. Run at 110psi it has plenty of grip and decent road feel. I do not run any sealant in this tire and it has been bulitproof. I run an s3 on the front and this combo has seen over 2000 miles.

Favorite Ride:   443 river to the gap

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Corsa Evo CX, Sprinters, bonti race lite

Bike Setup:   08 quattro assi SSS with 10 sp record. Zero components 024 carbon wheels.

Submitted by Great Greyhounds a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2008

Strengths:    Good price to preformance ratio, can be found on the web for a decent price. I ride these tires around 105psi, and they are able to be inflated to higher than that (max 175psi). These tires have taken some really rough roads in stride, without any problems.

Weaknesses:    Rough ride at higher pressures, but the toughness of the tire is well worth the rougher ride.

Bottom Line:
Excellent tubulars for the money. Bulletproof puncture resistance, and good value. This is the only tire I race on, and I've had over 3000 miles without a flat.

Favorite Ride:   GURU Racelite