Veloflex Criterium Tires - Tubular

Great tubular for all road race applications. Calicot puncture resistant layer under the tread. Latex inner tube. 300 TPI. 125 PSI Max. BlackTan. 700c x 22mm. 280 grams.

Submitted by roadwarrior57 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    smooth rolling
seemingly puncture resistant
go on flawlessly

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Unbelievably smooth riding tires. Truly the best tires I've ever used. They seem to roll by themselves. I admit I don't have a lot of miles on these tires (probably 500) but I can't rave about them more.

Favorite Ride:   North side of Galibier

Purchased At:   BikeTiresDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Corsa, Tufo Elite Jet

Bike Setup:   Colnago c-50; Campy Record Gruppo; Campy Bora Ultra wheels.

Submitted by BenR a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2005

Strengths:    suppleness
handling
true advertised weight
straight and easy to mount

Weaknesses:    PRICE!!! They could be found for $58 until recently, now it looks like $80 minimum. Will probably settle for Conti Sprinters after my stock runs out.

butalized latex inner tubes leak air, but not as bad as some - I can be lazy and ride for up to three days without inflating (but I usually only race on them anyway). I'll take this tradeoff for performance.

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for and Doug (see first review) isn't lying. I've used 4 different Criteriums and 1 narrower service course, all from various batches with no lemons. I also have 3 others in storage that appear to be perfect.

1.They're straight & easy to glue up
2.They match their advertised weight
3.Suppleness (not the same as squishy)- it's hard to explain, but they're laterally stiff and give great feedback while still being vertically smooth. You can really tell the difference on chipseal. Veloflex clinchers are nice but still not even close, on any wheel.

4. Durability - 1,500 miles on both rears, no flats despite unintentional glass patches. I get the same mileage and fewer punctures (knock on wood)compared to GP3000's or Pro Races. Granted I'm more careful when riding sewups, but racing is a different story. Throw in the cost of a couple latex inner tubes with $40 paves (I flat more often on them) and they are comparable in price (at least at the prices I found).

If I could afford it I'd ride them all the time. With current prices and the fact that my racing days are numbered, it's time to look for something more economical.

Purchased At:   Crit USA, LaBicletta

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Corsa CX (Taiwan vintage) - nice, but not the same.

Challenge Criterium (used by Navigators): Good for $35, but despite the high TPI/old Clement hubbub, definitely not worth $70. Heavy for a race tire. Seems like the sew up version was an afterthought.

Conti Sprinters and Triathlon - different price point, better value than Veloflex.

Comp240 - same level as Veloflex but usually more expensive. Slightly rougher ride (still pretty darn good) but also tough as nails. Rumors of bad QC (lumps, etc.).

Bike Setup:   1999 Klein Quantum w/Chorus10. Campy Shamals (very fast) and old school 36 hole Fiamme yellow labels (quick and comfortable).

Submitted by don a Recreational Rider from new jersey

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2003

Strengths:    Pronounced superiority in quality.
Smooth ride and predictable handling.

Weaknesses:    no complaints

Bottom Line:
After several pairs of lumpy, crooked Conti Comp 24's, I tried veloflex criteriums. They are the highest quality tires I have ever used. They go on extremely straight and are perfectly round with no lumps at the valve or anywhere. The ride is what you expect from sew-ups, smooth, comfortable, fast, safe.
I got around 1500 miles out of the rears and the fronts are still good with about 1900. Molto Bene.

Favorite Ride:   the swamp

Purchased At:   world class cycles

Similar Products Used:   various Conti's, Vittoria CX(also good), Tufo HICC (close second for quality)

Bike Setup:   Merlin Extralight, full Record, FIR Isidis

Submitted by Chris Radders a Road Racer from Grantham

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Strengths:    - Very smooth
- Very comfortable
- Extremely fast

Weaknesses:    - None, apart from the cost of replacing/fixing them when puncturing.

Bottom Line:
Started using these tyres on a pair of Campag Neutrons about 3 months ago and they are easily the best day-in day-out tubs/tyres I've ever used. Have tried most of the different tyres and tubulars out there and none have matched these yet.

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria CX, Pro Road (dual compounds). Continental Giros, Sondeklasses, Tempo etc. None are as good (apart from Veloflex Records which aren't practical for every day use)

Bike Setup:   Corrado custom w/ Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork. Campag Neutrons. Campag Record 10sp. Deda Newton bars/stem. D-Ace SPD-SL pedals.

Submitted by Doug Duguay a Road Racer from Portland OR USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Alright, I'm a little biased because I sell these babies.

Here is what I like about the Veloflex.

1 They're made in the old Vittoria Factory by hand.

2 They're as smooth as butter

3 They're straight and mount very easily

4 They're light and durable

I have a picture of Davide Rebelin's bike from the classics. His team is sponsored by someone else but you can clearly make out that he is riding Veloflex tires.

Crash in final lap of San Rafael 2014 Criterium

Hoping this is a good place to post a race-related crash video like this? [url=http://youtu.be/xqyar6vpa7s]San Rafael Criterium 2014 Crash - YouTube[/url] Looks like everyone was OK, but one bike got particularly shredded: [ATTACH=CONFIG]298437[/ATTACH]Read More »

Real Food Adivce for a Criterium Race [LOL's in the other thread]

Preface for those who don't know me, PhD. nutrition, specializing in sports nutrition. Success in a crit will be first and foremost about overall fitness, FTP, and ability to match accelerations. As well as skill set to maintain comfort and contact with the group. Fuel intake DURING a criteri ... Read More »

Food advice for criterium?

I'm starting out in Cat 5, and I noticed that I'm more suited for endurance riding than all out efforts over fifty minutes. By the end of the race, I'm only 10% slower than when I started, yet I'm already far behind the main group, since they seem to be giving it full power all the time, and even th ... Read More »

Velogames Criterium Du Dauphine

Are we doing it? Is anyone down?Read More »

Thursday nite Criterium series in Antioch

George Meilahn of PACE has started a weekly criterium series at the Antioch Fairgrounds on Thursday nites. It should run until Fall. Races start around 5:45pm, with slower riders starting first. Cost I think is $15.00 the first nite, and $10.00 after. I rode last week and was pounded by faster rider ... Read More »