Veloflex Criterium Tires - Tubular

Great tubular for all road race applications. Calicot puncture resistant layer under the tread. Latex inner tube. 300 TPI. 125 PSI Max. BlackTan. 700c x 22mm. 280 grams.

Submitted by roadwarrior57 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    smooth rolling
seemingly puncture resistant
go on flawlessly

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Unbelievably smooth riding tires. Truly the best tires I've ever used. They seem to roll by themselves. I admit I don't have a lot of miles on these tires (probably 500) but I can't rave about them more.

Favorite Ride:   North side of Galibier

Purchased At:   BikeTiresDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Corsa, Tufo Elite Jet

Bike Setup:   Colnago c-50; Campy Record Gruppo; Campy Bora Ultra wheels.

Submitted by BenR a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2005

Strengths:    suppleness
handling
true advertised weight
straight and easy to mount

Weaknesses:    PRICE!!! They could be found for $58 until recently, now it looks like $80 minimum. Will probably settle for Conti Sprinters after my stock runs out.

butalized latex inner tubes leak air, but not as bad as some - I can be lazy and ride for up to three days without inflating (but I usually only race on them anyway). I'll take this tradeoff for performance.

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for and Doug (see first review) isn't lying. I've used 4 different Criteriums and 1 narrower service course, all from various batches with no lemons. I also have 3 others in storage that appear to be perfect.

1.They're straight & easy to glue up
2.They match their advertised weight
3.Suppleness (not the same as squishy)- it's hard to explain, but they're laterally stiff and give great feedback while still being vertically smooth. You can really tell the difference on chipseal. Veloflex clinchers are nice but still not even close, on any wheel.

4. Durability - 1,500 miles on both rears, no flats despite unintentional glass patches. I get the same mileage and fewer punctures (knock on wood)compared to GP3000's or Pro Races. Granted I'm more careful when riding sewups, but racing is a different story. Throw in the cost of a couple latex inner tubes with $40 paves (I flat more often on them) and they are comparable in price (at least at the prices I found).

If I could afford it I'd ride them all the time. With current prices and the fact that my racing days are numbered, it's time to look for something more economical.

Purchased At:   Crit USA, LaBicletta

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Corsa CX (Taiwan vintage) - nice, but not the same.

Challenge Criterium (used by Navigators): Good for $35, but despite the high TPI/old Clement hubbub, definitely not worth $70. Heavy for a race tire. Seems like the sew up version was an afterthought.

Conti Sprinters and Triathlon - different price point, better value than Veloflex.

Comp240 - same level as Veloflex but usually more expensive. Slightly rougher ride (still pretty darn good) but also tough as nails. Rumors of bad QC (lumps, etc.).

Bike Setup:   1999 Klein Quantum w/Chorus10. Campy Shamals (very fast) and old school 36 hole Fiamme yellow labels (quick and comfortable).

Submitted by don a Recreational Rider from new jersey

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2003

Strengths:    Pronounced superiority in quality.
Smooth ride and predictable handling.

Weaknesses:    no complaints

Bottom Line:
After several pairs of lumpy, crooked Conti Comp 24's, I tried veloflex criteriums. They are the highest quality tires I have ever used. They go on extremely straight and are perfectly round with no lumps at the valve or anywhere. The ride is what you expect from sew-ups, smooth, comfortable, fast, safe.
I got around 1500 miles out of the rears and the fronts are still good with about 1900. Molto Bene.

Favorite Ride:   the swamp

Purchased At:   world class cycles

Similar Products Used:   various Conti's, Vittoria CX(also good), Tufo HICC (close second for quality)

Bike Setup:   Merlin Extralight, full Record, FIR Isidis

Submitted by Chris Radders a Road Racer from Grantham

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Strengths:    - Very smooth
- Very comfortable
- Extremely fast

Weaknesses:    - None, apart from the cost of replacing/fixing them when puncturing.

Bottom Line:
Started using these tyres on a pair of Campag Neutrons about 3 months ago and they are easily the best day-in day-out tubs/tyres I've ever used. Have tried most of the different tyres and tubulars out there and none have matched these yet.

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria CX, Pro Road (dual compounds). Continental Giros, Sondeklasses, Tempo etc. None are as good (apart from Veloflex Records which aren't practical for every day use)

Bike Setup:   Corrado custom w/ Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork. Campag Neutrons. Campag Record 10sp. Deda Newton bars/stem. D-Ace SPD-SL pedals.

Submitted by Doug Duguay a Road Racer from Portland OR USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Alright, I'm a little biased because I sell these babies.

Here is what I like about the Veloflex.

1 They're made in the old Vittoria Factory by hand.

2 They're as smooth as butter

3 They're straight and mount very easily

4 They're light and durable

I have a picture of Davide Rebelin's bike from the classics. His team is sponsored by someone else but you can clearly make out that he is riding Veloflex tires.

criterium/cyclocross training plan for new racer

I'm getting into road racing (at the tendar age of 37) and coming from an endurance (triathlon) background I have no where near the power I need to keep up with crit sprints. I'm used to "going long" for hours. I would like to find an interval/tabata training plan for a time-crunched athlete to make ... Read More »

Second Annual White Plains Downtown Criterium - June 9

Mods, feel free to delete if not appropriate. Just wanted to let everyone know that the Second Annual White Plains Downtown Criterium is this Sunday, June 9, 2013. Cat 5's are almost closed out, and other categories are filling fast. Registration on bikereg.com closes on Friday, June 7, 2013 ... Read More »

End of Mayheim Criterium Race 5/31

[ATTACH=CONFIG]281239[/ATTACH] Location: 9810 Jordan Circle Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670 Hosted by Pull it Back Krew. 1 hour race each. First place in Road and Fixed split the pot! More racers = more money for the winners!!!! 2nd and 3rd get prizes. Come out bring your legs and beat people with ... Read More »

Criterium Practice Training

I race a pickup criterium race every tuesday night. Im being dropped on the 4th lap so I obviously need a more focused training. I have access to the route (it is only a half mile from my house) and as it stands right now Im "time trialing it" a few times a week for 1 hour (the race is 40 minutes + ... Read More »

challange criterium open tires. Anyone using 'em?

I just picked up a pair and got them in the mail today. They are a 320 thread count. They feel a little more rigid in the hand than the Vittoria Open CX tires I am used to. I won't be able to know how they ride until mid May, when my frame comes in. Any input on the ride of the tire?Read More »