Vittoria Corsa CR Tires - Tubular

• Store Price

Vittoria Corsa CR Tubular 28"x22mm Tire is excellent for both competition and training. The Corsa CR has all a cyclist could demand: ^- great comfort thanks to the Cotton 220 TPI casing and 22 mm section; ^- PRB puncture resistant belting; ^- high inflation pressure: up to 12 bar; ^- elegant full-black finish.

Submitted by Russell Dember a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2008

Strengths:    Durability.
Wide rim tape to prevent slicing of the sidewall treads by the edge of the rim.
Removable valve core.
Butyl inner tube.

Weaknesses:    Stiff V-shaped sewn joint.

Bottom Line:
The Vittoria Corsa CR is a 700 x 22 mm wide 285 grams (advertised, 275 grams actual) weight tubular tire that has a butyl inner tube with a 50 mm long valve stem and a removable core. It is a general purpose training tire that is one step above the Rally in the Vittoria product line.

I have 570 miles on my front tire and it shows only slight wear on the tread ridges and a few small nicks in the tread found with a magnifying glass. The rear tire mas 440 miles on with the tread ridges recently worn off or on the verge of wearing off in the center.

At 120 to 140 PSI I can't determine if feeling every surface irregularity in the road is because of my stiff Klein frame and wheel set or characteristics of the tire. I have never ridden a hand made tire with a latex inner tube to compare it to.

The Corsa CR probably does not have twin tread technology as claimed on the Vittoria website. and for sure does not have the thread/inner tube protection cloth sewn in, also shown on the website (it doesn't need it with a butyl inner tube). The reason I know this is that I blew out a Corsa CR after only 6 miles by having my rear wheel fall into a planter cut out on the sidewalk while riding at night and then raking it up under full load by the sidewall back onto the sidewalk. Any tire I have ever ridden would have popped under these circumstances.

My approach to tubular tires is to avoid taking them off the rim to fix leaks. So the tires I use have a butyl inner tube and a removable valve core for insertion of the fibrous clogging mechanism sealant (i.e., Flat Free, Ride-on or Slime. I have not used the latex sealants from Tufo or Vittoria nor do I plan to).

I had an average size puncture leak in the present back tire at 245 miles that I fixed with flat Free. After I ride the bike if I leave the puncture location any where but directly down the tire sometimes deflates. But it holds 140 PSI during my rides and afterwards if I follow the above procedure. I have not had a leak on the front tire.

The sewn joint in back has an overly stiff V-shaped bead that prevents complete glue down to the rim (which is important for longevity). Maybe a weeks
stretching on a rim with the tire inflated to 140 PSI would solve this problem. I put the tire (directly out of the box) on the rim without glue then
filled the gaps and 100% of the rim and contact area of the rim tapewith 3M Fast Tack Adhesive. It was an unbeleivably
messy job but things clean up easily with naptha (i.e., Coleman lantern/stove liquid fuel, lighter fluid, Energine spot remover (the flammable version,
not the trichloroethane version). Do not use Goof-Off (zylene) because it will dissolve the latex on the sidewalls.

I am giving the Corsa CR five / four stars because it does exactly what it was designed to do. It is a rugged general purpose training tire which will last a long time by having small punctures quickly repaired with sealant if needed.

Similar Products Used:   Wolber Neo Pro SP-1. Wolber Invulnerable.

Bike Setup:   66 cm Klein aluminum frame. 40 hole rear/32 hole mavic GP 4 rims. 14 gauge straight spokes on the back and 15/14 gauge on the front. Both wheels laced 3 cross on Campy high flange record hubs.

Submitted by Veronikafan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Strengths:    None, compared to higher-end Vittoria tubulars.

Weaknesses:    Questionable durability, inferior ride quality and performance.

Bottom Line:
This is a lower-end Vittoria tubular that does not compare favorably with the higher priced Vittoria EVO-CX. I flatted a new rear CR on the third ride, so it lasted a total of 150 miles. I can't blame the tire for a puncture, but I have had very good puncture resistance with the higher-end Vittorias in the past. The CR typically sells for $40-$50. Although the EVO-CX retails in the USA for $75-$90, they can readily be purchased mail-order from the UK for well under $50 each. The CR has a cotton casing vs. cotton/kevlar on the CX, a butyl inner tube (although the manufacturer claims it's latex), and a slightly skinnier profile than the EVO-CX when inflated. It is more difficult to mount straight and it rides more harshly, doesn't roll as easily, or corner as well as the higher-end tires. In short, don't buy the lower-end tire, buy the top-of-the-line tires for the cheaper price.

Favorite Ride:   Hunterdon County, NJ

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria EVO-CX, CX, CG, Extreme, Pave EVO-CG, Veloflex Criterium, Roubaix, Clement Paris-Roubaix, Conti Sprinter, Challenge Strada, various Barum and other tubulars

Bike Setup:   1999 Litespeed Classic, LOOK carbon fork, Dura Ace 9 speed group, Turbomatic saddle, Cinelli bar, old-school handbuilt tubular wheels.

repairing the Vittoria Corsa CR' tubulars??

Hey guys, I'm a total newb with tubulars. I just punctured on my first ride with them. How are they suppose to be repaired? You can't patch them. Are they throw aways??Read More »