Vredestein Fortezza TriComp Pro Tires - Tubular

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Vredestein Fortezza Road Folding Tire: High-quality competition clincher. Same exclusive casing as the TriComp, but with a single-compound tread.

Submitted by Al a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2012

Strengths:    Race tire without the caveats, pretty light weight and durable with good grip and road feel.

Weaknesses:    Latex tube loses air as any latex tube will. Slight hump from where the strip ends.

Bottom Line:
I've had these things for while now and haven't really had any issues with them other than having them lose air pressure the next day and having a small (unnoticeable) hump on the wheel. Down some descents I've enjoyed the grip in wet and dry as well as the comfy ride they give with the lower pressures I run. For the price I got them on bonktown, they haven't let me down in the slightest.

Favorite Ride:   GMR

Purchased At:   Bonktown

Similar Products Used:   Continental Sprinter, Vittoria Corsa Evo, Vittoria Rally, Gommitalia Espresso

Bike Setup:   Fuji SST, Sram Red, Reynolds DV3K

Submitted by croix de fer a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2008

Strengths:    the front has held up so far but i don't ride it all the time ether b/c i swap out wheels a lot. if they hold up they seem fast and comfortable. cornering is good too.

Weaknesses:    cheap quality

Bottom Line:
rear tire blew out my first time using them in a race... i'm only 142 and the max rating is 200psi...i only had the pressure at 160 psi. the tire was properly mounted too. the only explaination is poor quality from slave labor Thailand. I though hey were made in The Netherlands but when they arrived in the mail I discovered they were made in Thailand where quality control is not as good either.

Favorite Ride:   your momma's backyard

Similar Products Used:   conti and veloflex... the best

Submitted by Michel Aube a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2007

Strengths:    Ultra smooth, the feel is second to none
Low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    It's a tire, it will wear or puncture eventually

Bottom Line:
This is the silkiest tire I have ever ridden on. It has low rolling resistance, secure grip, good construction and fairly easy to install.

After only 1000 miles the wear looks OK. I'm getting a new set for back up. I will see if it is the same quality, this can be a problem with tubulars. I have been riding Vittoria EVO CX for the last 4 years, it is a good tire but not quite as smooth as the Vre's and the quality is not consistent.

Favorite Ride:   No steep hills and a sprint finish

Purchased At:   BikeTiresDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Vittoria Corsa EVO CX
Continental Sprinter
Continental Competition
Tufo S33
Veloflex Carbon

Bike Setup:   853 steel frame,Ultrega/Dura-Ace kit with Mavic SSC-SL wheels.

Submitted by rdolson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    A great tire for the price, durable and long lasting

Bottom Line:
I've got about 1,000 miles on them. The rear is holding up nicely. Just a great tire! No flats, roll fast, comfortable. I'm 190lbs and run 100/110 F/R. I think they are one of the best bang for the buck tubies out there. Not killer expensive, long lasting, great handling. You's have to spend over $100 per tire to get anything better. And then, you woun't get something that lasts as long or has the puncture resistance of the Fortezza TriComp Pro

Favorite Ride:   Anytime I'm on a bike

Purchased At:   Bike Tires Direct

Similar Products Used:   Continental Gators and Sprinters, Vittoria EVO CX

Bike Setup:   Colnago Master XL DA Ksyrium SL3 Tubulars

Submitted by Art a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2006

Strengths:    All of the above.

Weaknesses:    To be honest, the only negative I can mention is one tire has a slight warp in the casing, a flat spot about 1" long in the center of the tread that I noticed before gluing, and felt as a tiny 'bump' when riding. This is not uncommon with sew-ups so nothing unusual here, but you always hope your next one is perfect. Yes, I could have sent it back for a replacement but 95% of the time I don't notice it.

Just sayin'.

Bottom Line:
OK, I guess I'll do the first review on 'em. ;^ )

I've had generally good results in the past with the Vittoria Corsa CX, except for the occasional lumpy or wavy one. Well, sometimes that happens to even the best models. But instead of Corsa's on my NOS Boras, I wanted to try a sew-up I hadn't used before. I've also had years of good results with Vredestein's Fortezza Road & Tri-Comp clinchers, and I've waited patiently for a sew-up from them. I thought they'd never actually come out with one until I saw them on the Davitamon-Lotto rigs.

It's been an excellent tire thus far. All of the things the top Vred clinchers are famous for (I won't repeat here b/c it's all been said in their reviews), but in the lighter, narrower, rounder format of a tubular, PSI ability to 200 (!), plus of course the unmistakable ride and handling. No flats yet in nearly 2,000 miles, and still plenty of wear left.

However, this is not your daddy's cushy fat Dugast for poking around town with - it's a race tire and it IS lean & fast. You pump these babies UP and proceed to hauling ass. But it's also a Vredestein and the top Vred's aren't harsh. For me, the width/cross-section of the Pro is near perfect.

FYI: the claimed weight is 260 grams, mine came in at 250g on an Alpine Sports Feedback scale. Around 140 PSI seems to work best for me. YMMV.

On mounting: did a little hand-stretching first, though I found that it probably wasn't needed. Then 160 PSI (as high as my floor pump would go), unglued on the rim for 2 days, making sure the pressure was kept high each day. After that, I checked it and it looked like it was ready to go. Went on without trouble using Mastik One with virtually no mess. *joy!* With sew-ups mounting this easy, who needs clinchers?

Not to disparage the Vitt's - they're great tires too and I've always liked them, but it turned out that the Pro was much easier to mount than any of the Corsa's I've had, no matter what I did to pre-stretch one or by leaving it on a rim for weeks. That was the "original" Corsa though, so maybe now the "EVO" Corsa is not such a hassle.(?)

I would say the Pro is equal to if not better than the mighty Corsa in all respects. I cannot find anything to nit-pick with this tire's performance, so 'Overall' is '5'.

Although no one wants to pay $60.+ for a bike tire, Pro's are priced lower online than other high-end tubulars. So IF they're bought online, 'Value' can be rated '5' when compared to other top models. However, I've seen LBS prices of $90. for them so watch out!

Purchased At:   Speedgoat.com

Bike Setup:   Zona steel, Campy Chorus 10.