A-Class 300 wheelsets - clincher

2.44/5 (16 Reviews)

Alex paired spoke wheels are made under license from Rolf wheels: they use 24 front and 28 rear stainless steel spokes. Rims are Alex semi-aero that are CNC'd. Hubs are sealed bearing with a 7000 series Aluminum axles and works with Shimano 8/9 speed cassettes. Weight for the pair is 1770 grams.

Submitted by Charlie a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
My wife has had these for about 5 years with moderate use, and recently the spokes have been breaking, one by one. These wheels are ready for the trash.

Bike Setup:   specialized sequoia

Submitted by Rog a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, ride nice, light.

Weaknesses:    A little noisy when compared to high-end wheel set that you'll pay 3x the price.

Bottom Line:
I've had the ALX300 (as pictured) for about a year now and have put about 20 miles a day on these wheels with no problems. Yes, I ride almost everyday. I'm 6' 200 lbs, so I'm not the lightest guy on the road. These wheels have been very dependable. The bearing set are not the best out there, but I feel they're a good value.

Similar Products Used:   Richey Pro

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Road

Submitted by dnaelon a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2008

Strengths:    look cool

Weaknesses:    flex, constant spoke breakages, don't stay true, customer service is horrible at best

Bottom Line:
I have the ALX 320s that came w/ my QR Seduza. Not worth the paint on the rim. Spokes constantly break on the front. For a wheel this heavy, I expect bombproof and bulletproof. I weight 180, so I'm not the lightest rider, but, I'm not overall that heavy either. They don't stay true. After my 5th trip to the shop (I only ride on them about 30% of the time) I'm finally scrapping them for something else. Crappy customer service as well, their tech support folks thought I was crazy for even asking them about the quality issues.

Favorite Ride:   Polar Bear Metric Century

Purchased At:   Inside Out Sports

Similar Products Used:   Shimano WHR 500, Rolf Prima Vigor, Rolf Vector Comp

Bike Setup:   QR Seduza, upgraded to full DA, FSA KForce Crank w/ TT Chainring

Submitted by r3ing a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2008

Strengths:    Sturdy, decent looks, I like paired-spoke wheels, value for price

Weaknesses:    Inner-rim width (hard to find tape to fit), definitely not the lightest wheel

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels as a training wheel set, and for cyclocross racing. They have stood up extremely well the abuse that goes with the territory of training wheel and cyclocross wheel. I was working on them the other day and decided to true them, the first time I had done so since purchasing them. The wheels were both extremely true for the abuse they have suffered. The inner size of the rim is not similar to any rim tape that I have found and it was extremely difficult to get the holes for the nipples covered sufficiently to prevent blowouts. The rim is too narrow for most sizes and to wide for the skinny size-which was really annoying.

Favorite Ride:   Blacksmith Fork Canyon

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   mavic open sport laced to '72 Schwinn hubs, fulcrum racing 5's, roval fusee

Submitted by Mtn2RoadConvert a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2008

Strengths:    Aero appearance

Weaknesses:    none to date

Bottom Line:
This review is for ALX330. I'm about 185lbs. and these wheels came with my Specialized Tarmac Comp. I have had these wheels and the bike for about 1,000 miles. They have been trouble free, rock solid and are still very true. I recently purchased a set of '07 Mavic SL3 wheels, so it will be interesting to compare. For around $200 or less, these seem like a pretty good value.

Favorite Ride:   Old La Honda

Purchased At:   with Bike

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac Comp, full Ultegra & R700 compact crank.