A-Class 400 wheelsets - clincher

Made with hi-strength EXA aluminum. It's welded joint is strong for top performance in all road racing. Shiny Black finish. Shimano compatible. Rear Hub is made of AL7075 Axle; Sealed Bearings; Shiny black AL7075 Axle; AL7075 Cassette freehub body; 4 sealed bearings; 8s 9s Front Hub is made of AL7075 Axle; sealed bearings; SPOKE Ft. 24H RR. 28H LACE Radial L: Radial R: 3X WEIGHT FT. 740g RR. 890g

Submitted by Dan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
As I was getting serious about riding this summer, phasing out running as much as possible, I finally broke a spoke on the rear wheel. Went to LBS and they set me up with this wheel, AT-400 rim with DT spokes and Tiagra hub. Even compared to the stock wheels, old Mavic rim with similar entry level hubs, this one seemed to drag off the start. It never really did improve or get worse. Then after 2000-2500km the wheel was well out of true -- I am 165# and ride on mostly very smooth roads. Two spokes broke while it was in the shop and were repaired. Overall, the wheel held up pretty decently for $85. You get what you pay for!

Submitted by SacCommuter a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Weak, goes out of true

Bottom Line:
I bought this last year to replace the even worse Alex rear wheel that came stock on my Fuji. It is the AT400 rim laced to a Shimano Tiagra hub. I bike commute about 80 miles a week from April to September. The hub is fine, but the wheel is constantly going out of true and I've broken one spoke so far. I upgraded my front to a Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra hub, and will be doing the same for the rear. If you ride these all I can say is have a backup wheelset at the ready.

Favorite Ride:   American River Bike Trail

Purchased At:   East Sac Bike

Similar Products Used:   Alex B500, Mavic Open Pro

Bike Setup:   Fuji Hybrid

Submitted by Guy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2009

Strengths:    strength(32 spokes each wheel)

Weaknesses:    bearings

Bottom Line:
These wheels came one my first road bike and let me tell you they are absolute junk. They weigh a ton and the bearings are a joke. Seriosuly these are not even worth using, you probably couldn't give these away

Favorite Ride:   Scattante r-660

Purchased At:   Came with first bike

Similar Products Used:   Rolf Vigors
Neuvation R28 Aeros

Submitted by Don Keninitz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2008

Strengths:    Appearance

Bottom Line:
These wheels came stock with my 2006 Specialized Sirrus Comp. I'm a tad over 6' 1" and weigh about 210 lbs. I've had difficulty keeping these wheels trued ever since I got the bike. I've broken a number of spokes, and the spokes seem to flex a lot. I ride mostly on smooth pavement, perhaps 25% on rougher back roads. As others have noted, these appear to be a poor choice for heavier riders.

Favorite Ride:   Road

Submitted by nilsmuller373 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    Durable and tough

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavy.

Bottom Line:
Wow I am surprised at the reviews. This wheel set came on my Trek 1200. Since I purchased this bike new 2 years ago I have put somwhere between 5-6 thousand miles on them. I have never had any problems what so ever. They have been wonderful wheels especially considering that some of the roads that I ride on are horrible at best. Yes I have had to true them a few times but I don't blame the rims as much as I am always blaming the transportation department. To me they have been great wheels.

Favorite Ride:   Anything hilly