Aerospoke 700C clincher wheelsets - clincher

4.1/5 (31 Reviews)

Composite 700C clincher wheels

Submitted by mark welch a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    looks amazing
most aerodynamic wheel I have ever ridden aside from Hed 3 or spinergy
High power transfer

Weaknesses:    cracked after 9 days and 220 miles
heavy....real heavy I own a pair of Spinergy Xero lite wheels that weigh as much as just one Aerospoke wheel.
the sealed bearings were slightly rough but understandable considering the wheels price point.

Bottom Line:
I bought a new track rear fixed/free 700c Aerospoke for 330 dollars. I'm a commuter for the most part I ride twenty miles a day on a fixie Cannondale. It only took 9 days for my Aerospoke to develop a three inch crack near one of the spoke legs on the drive side. I'm still in the process of finding out if Aerospoke or Wheel and Sprocket the bike shop i bought the wheel from is going to cover this but so far it doesn't look good. Every one says Aerospoke offers a lifetime warranty on their wheels but they don't, they charge you just slightly lower than the full amount for a replacement. Before the wheel cracked it was heavy like every one says about Aerospokes. Even with the weight though it performed awesomely. The aerodynamics and sheer levels of power transfer make up for almost all of the heavyness and Aerospokes should be heavy they're cheap and made out of plastic not carbon fiber like many people think. People also comment on how much flex these wheels have but I found that my 32 hole mavic wheels have more lateral flex than than an aerospoke. Going up hills with it was hard but I'm a 220 pound guy so hills are always going to be hard. because the wheel was so much more heavy than my mavic cxp22 front wheel it made it much easier to pop wheelies. Also a not so common fact about these wheels. They come new in the box out of true by at most 0.02 inches. \When I found this out I put my new wheel in my truing stand and found it to be slightly more than 0.02 inches. The hub its built with is very nice, powder coated gloss black and very attractive. The sealed cartridge bearings did not spin absolutely true new out of the box but years of buying and building wheels has taught me that's not necessarily a rare quality of new hubs unless its a Mavic or Phil wood. skidding with the wheel was very easy because of the efficient power transfer. All these great qualities aside this supposedly bomb prof wheel cracked in less than two weeks of Milwaukee commuter riding.

Favorite Ride:   downtown Chicago to Evanston IL

Purchased At:   Wheel and Sprocket

Similar Products Used:   Hed 3
H+son
48 hole touring/tandem wheels

Bike Setup:   1987 Cannondale fixie

Submitted by BillyJay a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, replaceable hub, never needs truing

Weaknesses:    No breeze from the rear wheel when riding stationary resistance trainers.

Bottom Line:
My first bike was a fuji touring bike that had a suntour hubset. these spoked wheels were built like a tank having 48 spokes on the rear wheel and 40 on the front wheel.

Then I bought a trek 1400 with 32 spoke wheels and as I grew stronger, I found that my wheels needed trueing more and more so I ended up purchasing some mavic rims and Ultegra hubs (32 spoke) and had a custom set of wheel built. Again, with the hills of north eastern NJ I found out that I really stressed the rear wheel all the time and even the custom wheels were getting truing on a regular basis.

Then I bought the Trek 2300, and right off, I upgraded to the Mavic bottom bracket and Crank set. I was amazed at the stiffness of the bike in that it seemed to surge forward with every stroke of the crankset, but again, I was spending lots of timehaving the rear wheel trued.

I purchased the Aerospoke and converted it to a rear wheel by having the hubs changed and put it on my 2300. what a difference this wheel made. Between the stiffness of the carbon/aluminum bonded frame, the Mavic Crankset and Aerospoke rear wheel, it seemed that every little bit of my energy was used to propel the bike forward.

I have used resistance trainers at home, and with the spoked wheels, I could always lean back and let the rear wheel fan me and cool me off. With the aerospoke wheel, there was no breeze from the rear wheel.

I have never regretted this purchase and would recommend them to people like me who are heavy (230+) to keep from having to perform regular maintenance on the wheelsets (rear wheel)

Favorite Ride:   Trek 2300

Purchased At:   Bike Works, Rochelle

Similar Products Used:   regular steel spoked wheels, mostly 32 spoke

Bike Setup:   Trek 2300 Bonded carbon fiber and aluminum frame
Mavic bottom bracket and crankset
Shimano Ultegra deraillures and shifters with the front deraillure shifter on the down tube to position chain eliminating chain rub.
Mavic rim with Ultegra front hub and Aerospoke rear wheel with 8-spd american classic hub.

Look pedals

Submitted by honestwrench a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Strengths:    Strength, Color Choice, Speed (when up to speed)

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy, pricey

Bottom Line:
Aerospokes are heavier than most carbon wheels, but they seem to hold up extremely well. Being a bigger guy (220lbs) I like that I don't have to feel like a wheel is going to collapse under me. Once up to speed these wheels are super fast and look awesome!

Favorite Ride:   Fast Commutte

Purchased At:   www.eighthinch.com

Similar Products Used:   C6 Carbon Tubulars

Bike Setup:   Fixed Gear

Submitted by Spagball a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2008

Strengths:    Practically indestructible
Customer service
Attention getters

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
If you are big rider (200+ lbs) and are concerned about true and reliability this is your wheel. You can't beat the price to value ratio. I've riden a 30 mile daily loop to work on these. I'm 200 lbs. and add up to another 25 lbs in pack weight. These wheels don't care. You need to know that these are one of the only wheelsets rated for tandem use. Yes they are a bit heavy, but that's what you give up for bombproof wheels. Need to mention that their customer service is also top notch. I've had to replace two wheels in the past due to accident/car rack damage with no problem. They offer half price replacement.

Favorite Ride:   Capital Crescent Trail

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   There is nothing like this in this price range.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR A1
Everything OEM except the wheels

Submitted by BikeyMikey a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2008

Strengths:    Never need to be trued, look great, very great performance for the price, and hey, they are carbon! What more can you ask for?

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, but for the performance they dish out, who cares

Bottom Line:
When I first pulled the wheel out of the box I thought man this is pretty heavy for a wheel. I started to do my usual 25 mile run through the lakefront to downtown and noticed that I got from the beginning of the trail to downtown in about 10 mins faster then when I ride with my mavics. Great stuff! Saving up for the front to see how much more speed I can get.

Favorite Ride:   Chicago/kimball to downtown

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic CXP22, Mavic Ellipse, Alexrims DC19, Weinnman DC18

Bike Setup:   Fetish cycles Attack
deda pista handlebars, Fetish stem, Fetish carbon fork, Fetish headset, Andel 46t crankset, shimano bb, Fetish aero carbon seatpost, BEV tech. Carbon/Titanium seatpost, shimano dura-ace 15t cog and lockring

Stans Tubeless rim strip in 700c Chinese carbon clincher for CX

Looking at new CX wheels and want to know if anyone has tried this? I think it should work but im not sure if it will be burp free... If no one knows, Ill try it one my road wheel later in the week when I acquire a rim strip and treaded valve extender.Read More »

SRAM S80 700C FR Clincher (Black with Red Decals, 80mm

Hey All, how are these wheels in comparison to the 2012 Mavic Carbone SLR's? The fact for 500 less I can get an 80mm as opposed to only 53mm carbones?Read More »

23 width clincher rim 700c?

where can I find a 700c clincher rim that's 23 wide? just like hed ardennes? I'm interested build my own set of 'ardennes'...Read More »

Other manufacturers of tri spoke wheels? (650 or 700c, clincher)

I know HED has the 3, and Zipp at least used to make one. But I can't seem to find any others. I used the search, but it's not getting any of the terms I used.Read More »

best buy on clincher 700c aero rear wheel (non disk)?

building a tt bike and was looking at hed 3 or deep, or spinergy. thx.Read More »