American Classic Aluminum Wheelset wheelsets - clincher

4.09/5 (23 Reviews)

• Price: Front $176.95; Rear $263.95
  • American Classic's Micro Front Hub and Ultralight Cassette Hub (black or silver)
  • Velocity 700c Aerohead 400g rims, 650c or 700c, (red, yellow, blue, silver, black, ti-gray; tubular in black only)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by tafi a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, Slight Aerodynamic advantage

Weaknesses:    Low durability, Noise also echos through them (an ugly crashing sound)

Bottom Line:
    Despite the light weight and depth of the rim these wheels leave me unimpressed. They are not as stiff as a pair of race wheels need to be and haven't been as responsive as I would have liked.
    I will admit that they are race wheels and I am not exactly kind to my gear but their strength leaves a bit to be desired as I have had to get them trued several times in a bit more than 6 months (race use only not more than 10 or 15 races). They also tend to ride quite harshly. I will say though tha they are a definite improvement for TTs but sprints will find them wanting (and bending).

Favorite Ride:   Galston Gorge

Purchased At:   Bike shop in Melbour

Submitted by CFull158 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2003

Strengths:    Very light for clincher wheels. Can take some abuse but don't go overboard. The price is good also.

Weaknesses:    I broke my free hub body in a training crit. They fixed it fast and for free. Pot holes can take there toll. Can be knocked out of true easily if you hit debris, pot holes, etc.

Bottom Line:
    I got them through a sponsorship deal through my team Olympus Bikes. I would not recomend them for anyone over 180lbs.

Favorite Ride:   0

Purchased At:   Sponsorship through

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Olympus Zeus scandium with carbon stays and fork. Dura Ace/Ultegra mix. Forgie Bars. Millinium carbon stem. EC70 seat post. FSA Carbon Pro Road cranks.

Submitted by Brian a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight. Price.

Weaknesses:    Narrow breaking surface, hard to adjust break pads.

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 350's. I haven't had them long. They seem to be holding up pretty well. Man are they light. Almost spooky light. They will make you fast or faster. Dropped an entire pound switching to these wheels. If they hold up I'll go for the carbon bad boys next.

Favorite Ride:   Hills, Hills and more Hills

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   Airborne Thunderbolt w/ Dura ace.

Submitted by hammerhead a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    Light, areodynamic, great feel, quiet. A good choice for racing.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat expensive, but what the heck. The decals are lame.

Bottom Line:
    I've got the 420's laced 18/24 with bladed spokes. I'm a big rider at 195lbs. These wheels are light, quick, and responsive. I've taken these wheels over my share of railroad tracks and pot holes with little adverse affect on trueness. After 500-1000 miles the rear wheel needed very slight truing. I improved my time trialing using these wheels by about 5%. Stiffened up the ride on my steel frame quite a bit. A great racing wheelset, even for big riders.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride that breaks a sweat

Purchased At:   American Classic Web

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Open Pros

Bike Setup:   Custom steel.

Submitted by carlos2283 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight and light hubs.

Weaknesses:    Strength and narrow braking surface.

Bottom Line:
    The 420's seemed like a good buy but from my observation were far from acceptable. The light weight was impressive but everytime I hit a bump I had to go and true the darn things again. Also the braking suraface is a bit narrow. The wheels came to me from the manufacture without proper ground zero trueness. For some reason they collect more water than any other rims I've owned. I guess if your under 165 you might not have this problem. It's definitely not a sprinters wheel.

Bike Setup:   GIANT TCR 1

Aluminum Race Wheelset

So now that race season is coming up, I'm interested in possibly building a race wheelset. I'm looking to stay around 1500g and under $450, so forget carbon stuff. My objectives are low rotating weight and stiffness, since most of the riding I do is either hilly RRs or crits. I'd like to have tubula ... Read More »

SPAM: Handbuilt aluminum rim cross tubular wheelset for sale

Thanks for looking. [url]http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=11288[/url]Read More »

Deep Aluminum-Rimmed Wheelset

Hey folks. I'm looking for a deep aluminum rimmed set of wheels to race on. Something preferably lighter than deep V's. The AC 420 is looks to be about ad deep as you can get while still being relatively light, but I'm worried a bit about durability. Any ideas for another production model or may ... Read More »