American Classic Mag 300 wheelsets - clincher

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

• 290g clincher magnesium rim with machined brake track (20x25 / 591 ERD)
  • Front and rear hubs have ceramic bearings, rear hubs are Shimano 8-10 or Campagnolo 9/10 speed compatible
  • American Classic One Six spokes with proprietary, American Classic extended head nipples
  • Titanium quick releases and wheel bags included
  • Tubular: 490g/685g (1175g set), clincher: 510g/705g (1215g set); all black with silver nipples

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by stamo a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    So light it is amazing. So smooth it is amazing. And the humm they make at speed is just FACTORY ! These things are the BEST wheels Ive ever owned. You will go faster without qustion - simple!

Weaknesses:    2007 stickers are ugly. The matt finish is ugly. the barking area was painted, and slowly wears out over miles. But stragely enough , they still break fine. Theres also a little corrosion under paint, but definitely minor and not affecting anything. These wheels are not pretty like many - but cause of this they kind of shout 'factory'. Mmmm, be nice if they were a bit cheaper, and a bit easier to get your hands on. There's not many bike shops here in aussie that keep them, so makes it a bit hard.

Bottom Line:
    I weigh 105 kgs and have a set of legs built for time trials. Freight train sort of rider. I have gone through that many sets of wheels in my quest for strength yet lightness it's crazy. But these MAG300 are simply the best yet. Fastest wheels I've ever owned without question. Spin up incredibly fast, and even have that hollow weird sort of sound that only carbon zipps seem to make. Although they look like alloy wheels, Magnesium just is different . It's strange. And cause the spoke count is so high, they barely flex. Out of saddle sprints, hills, flat strap time trials and pacelines, whatever I dish out , they barely flex or complain an iota. And thats with my 105kg of wrecking crew treatment. The hub is damn near silent, and the woes of a few years back with faulty hubs/cams etc seems gone. These things are so smooth to ride its uncanny. I only need to pump to 120psi and they ride smooth and fast. I usually pump any rear tyre to well over 145psi to take my weight, and spin fast. these don't need it. Mine are 2007 model. and I'd say the 2008 - 2009 models wud be even better. Ride em day in day out, and don't baby em, cause they are unreal. All I hear is bad things about AMC wheels, but I've had 3 sets ( 2 x cr420 and mag300) and they have been faultless ( except for one time hub recall fault). The braking is fantastic, but when they get totally drenchd in rain riding, they are next to useless. They barely brake at all till dried out. But this is fairly common with most wheels anyway, so don't be to concerned. Just adjust yr riding accordingly to the weather conditions. I'd buy another set of mag300 in a flash, they are that good. I have never ever had a set of wheels that have inspired me so much, and made me WANT to go out and ride my bike. Just talking about them like this makes me hyper enough to go for tomorows ride. Have I said enough - have you got the ghist. Do I need to say any more.

Favorite Ride:   bmc slto1 tea machine 2008

Purchased At:   internet ebay

Similar Products Used:   kysrium elite, kysrium sl, easton ea90, token carbon tubular, shimano ultegra, cr420,

Bike Setup:   sram force,fsa carbon bars,carbon stem,ec90 seatpost and fork,san marco skn saddle

Submitted by Peter Monaco a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Not much in rotational mass, so I feel like I work harder to keep up in the flats versus a heavier wheel like Mavic Carbone

Bottom Line:
    I weigh 170 pounds and have yet to true the wheels after two years. I have not babied these wheels in any way. They are very light, fast to accelerate, and smooth. I rode the Mag 300 in Majorca Spain where the roads vary in quality and had no problems.

Favorite Ride:   St Charles Cafe Ride

Purchased At:   MainStreetCycles Wes

Similar Products Used:   Mavic R-Sys

Bike Setup:   BMC Sram Red

Submitted by toothdk a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2008

Strengths:    Impreccable wheel.

Weaknesses:    Delicate as hell. I am 140 pounds, and within one month, the rim wobbled. So even hitting the slightest of even roads, will mess this wheel up. AC did finally fix it, but after saying that it was my fault. That, I didn't like. So if you're using this for a one day race, fine.Everyday, don't even think about it.

Bottom Line:
    Phenomenal ride feel, fast as heck, light as heck. Terrific wheels. Have black sapim spokes on for 1985 tubular weight.

Favorite Ride:   scott addict sl

Purchased At:   bicycles plus, flowe

Similar Products Used:   zipp 404 and 303.

American Classic Mag 300 Clincher

I was looking at the American Classic Web page and liked the specs of the Mag 300 clinchers. They are 28 spoke front/32 rear. I see they have a 200 pound weight limit, I am 195 and dropping. They are around 1250 grams, and include ceramic bearings, Ti quick releases, brake pads and wheel bags. Do ... Read More »

2007 American Classic 300 Mag or 2007 Campy Eurus

I know there is a big price difference, but anyone have a chance to compare these two. I plan to put it on a bike that I might use 30 to 70 miles a week. ThanksRead More »

American Classic Mag 300's?

I am trying to decide whether I should buy a set of these wheels or not? I am looking into the 06 models and I was wondering if anyone rides them as their daily wheelset? I know they will come out of true easier, but how durable are they?Read More »