American Classic Magnesium wheelsets - clincher

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Magnesium is lighter than aluminum. The lighter the wheel, the less rolling resistance, the faster you go! This is the ultimate clincher wheelset for race or event use. Designed in the US by Bill Shook, American Classic 700c magnesium rims weigh 300 grams.

Submitted by greg baker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Strengths:    As said before, a great response and jump on hills...they seem to keep true over time.

Weaknesses:    I have stayed with rubber break pads which may just wear quicker - but I have adjusted to touch of grip....you may want to get cork pads(?)

Bottom Line:
I was urged to consider as a great deal vs my Kzeriums...Wooooo! As a die hard 56 yr old road guy who still loves good tech and performance - best value. Yes, you can train with these. My only question is why we do not see American Classic product on Tour riders or some of well known consumer bikes like a ew Trek or Giant, etc?

Favorite Ride:   road 30-50 mi

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Rolf and Mavic

Bike Setup:   Scott CR-1, all carbon

Submitted by Anthony a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    super quick wheel, especially dollar for dollar.

Weaknesses:    the black on the breaking surface does scuff off fairly quick, and while they can take a little punishment, they certainly aren't bomb proof.

Bottom Line:
These "silly" magnesium wheels came with my bike. I was none the wiser, and new little about them, initially I was planing on swapping them for a new set of wheels, something more familiar - ie: mavic, fulcrum etc... After riding them for a while in the interim. I soon discovered the only set of wheels I'll be buying in future are these - they are ridiculously light, yet strong enough for me & my riding. I weigh in at 84Kgs, and climb like a mountain goat. They spin up really quick which makes for bucket loads fun as you accelerate.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere I can

Similar Products Used:   Mavic range - Aksium, Ksyriums & ESs

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Advance
Sram Force group
American Classic Mag 300s

Submitted by Matt Y a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Standard brake pads even the ones a/c recommends are to deep. A/c wheels have a very narrow braking surface (approx 6mm).

Bottom Line:
Very light, in fact the lightest rim weight i've used. Weighs the same as some other brands, but the weight reduction is made where it counts.
Very quick to accelerate and awesome hill climbing wheelset.

Favorite Ride:   Peninsula ride round Wgtn (NZ)

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Shimano r550 for training, AC CR420's for training & events.

Bike Setup:   Carbon frame & ultegra groupset.

Submitted by torac a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2006

Strengths:    Speed,comfort,price and Amer Classic is a great company to deal with.

Weaknesses:    zero !

Bottom Line:
These mags are so,so fast. They are also smoothe and seem to float over the road. I check w/4 hi,hi ends shops. All basically said these are the best/fastest wheels ,dollar for dollar,in the bizz! I understand 9/06 will bring a tubular version.

Favorite Ride:   New Hope

Purchased At:   BIkefunatics

Similar Products Used:   Ksyriums+Bontragers

Bike Setup:   Blue Competition R4 carbon,Dura ace

Submitted by CactusJackSlade a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2006

Strengths:    LIGHT weight! Good braking (with proper brake pads!) Awesome climbig wheel.

Weaknesses:    Must use dedicated brake pads... so swapping to different wheels is more time consuming. A bit of flex (I'm only 145# Only comes in black - I'd rather have a lighter color... for light wheels!

Bottom Line:
I was trying to decide between these and the Rolf Elan Aero as I have been on Rolfs for a few years now.

I am very pleased that I got these (not that I can compare them to the Elans).

They are VERY light out at the rim, where it counts. The accelerate very quickly. They are SO light they feel twitchy for a while when I switch over from my 404's until I get used to them again (very little gyroscopic effect).

I got the Sapim spoke upgrade for the lightest combo - the trade off is just a bit of flex.

These are light, responsive and compliant. The best climbing clincheer I have used to date. I only wish these were my every day wheels!

Oh, DO NOT use std brake pads with these wheels as they have a ceramic coated surface. They will grab and you will go down.

The only reason I'm not giving these a 5 is for the brake pad issue.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Tahoe loop

Purchased At:   N/A

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Heliums & Ksyriums, Rolf (Trek) Sestriere, Vector Pro, Vecor Comp, American Classic 420's

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Vortex W/Dura Ace

Pinarello Dogma magnesium fp compared to new bikes?

Hi Pinarello fans! I have an opportunity to buy a Dogma Fp magnesium. Its NOT the FPX version but the version before with the MOST bottom bracket. I'm curious to know if anyones ridden one before and how they possibly compare to the newer bikes. I know its obviously heavier than the latest carbon ... Read More »

American Classic Magnesium clincher

American Classic is getting ready to release the 2012 mag clinchers. Wondering what you guys think of a magnesium wheel. Looks to be a nice light climbing wheel.Read More »

Magnesium chloride tip

I only know for sure of Colorado's love affair with mag-chloride, the ice melt miracle. It eats aluminum for breakfast. It eats all kinds of metal but it really likes aluminum. If it is used where you live remove it immediately after a wet ride and use cold water to do it. Warm water activates it an ... Read More »