Bontrager Aeolus 6.5 wheelsets - clincher

• 65mm cross section and toroidal shape
  • Low spoke count carbon clincher rim
  • 14 gauge bladed spokes
  • Replica of the tubular wheel

Submitted by shane a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2009

Strengths:    lightish,and strong,fast.

Weaknesses:    poor braking in the wet.

Bottom Line:
Fabulous wheels. FAST!!.
I too ,expierenced the above mentioned lack of braking with yellow pads on these wheels. I switched to the suggested bont.cork pads,and braking got better.These are downright scary in the wet with yellow pads.I called bont.and was told not to use yellow pads on these wheels as the rims sides will overheat and delaminate.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere

Purchased At:   cyclepath

Submitted by David Silcox a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2009

Strengths:    Bullet proof other than carbon splinters on clincher rim if stopped abruptly by whatever stopped me. I love these wheels for ITTs but I think now they are door stoppers.

Weaknesses:    I may be wrong but I question the stopping ability. I do not have access to proper assessment tools.

Bottom Line:
On a recent dry steep downhill switch back road ride the braking was not sufficient to keep me in control and on the road. The shop had installed the Yellow pads instead of the pads that came with the wheels, that could be the problem. Earlier the same day I had a near miss when cyclists stopped ahead of me at a light and I could not stop as quickly. The wheels have about 250KM on them. The brake only stopped the rear wheel dead when it encountered sand on the road by then I was in trouble. My Kysriums would have held firm but the Carbon wheels slipped on the pads. I spent 8 hours in the hospital with a broken C2 and I am only now piecing together the details. FYI Know the road before you ride these wheels. They are 2nd to none if riding in a straight line but performance and control wise they are a challenge. I walked out of the hospital but was told by the Doc that I was lucky.

Favorite Ride:   Goodwood Ontario